IGNORED

CA Site Upgrades Coming Soon

Hi guys - After the Munich show CA will be moving to a newer, better, faster server. Once the move is complete we'll have the option to implement additional site features. Please take a look at some of the possibilities below. Let me know what interests you and what doesn't. Feel free to make suggestions that aren't on this list as well.

Like this post / Thanks for this post button

Chatroom that is archived and searchable for future reference

User tagging / user notification when mentioned with @ symbol prior to username

Automatic thread refreshing without page reloads

Advanced Private Messaging with attachments and auto-responders

Profile hovering that shows a profile summary of users when you hover over their user names

Thread ratings

Advanced classified section with auctions, stock, buy it now, automated bidding, feedback system, etc...

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Hi Chris,

Profile hovering that shows a profile summary of users when you hover over their user names

Thread ratings

Alain

Hi Chris,

Thread ratings

+1 My priorities, as well.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - MacMini running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi wireless > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > iFi Audio xDSD + iFi Audio xCAN > Focal Elegia

Home Theater - Mac Mini running Roon Server > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Pioneer Elite SC-81 > MartinLogan Motion series home theater speakers + M&K subwoofer

Call me shallow, I prefer the like a post rather than make a whole new post to agree with one. Now, I really don't care for Facebook etc.

The @name usage can really help by drawing attention to a post/question you might have not seen.

[Home Digital] Bricasti M12 > DIY M2x Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Zu DL-103/Hana ML/Denon DL-301 II)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Focal Utopia Headphones (balanced)

[beach/Travel] Laptop > DragonFly Red > Ether Headphones

Hi Chris,

Thread ratings

This, minus thread ratings. Never really found them useful.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I like these, FWIW:

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Sweet!

1. Like / Dislike post

2. Advanced PMs - file attachments of image embedding would be wonderful

3. I love the @name idea.

4. Auctions / For Sale would be fun, though I doubt I would use it that much! :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Like them all.

Also, anything like follow a user, receive updates when they post... I'd like my @Jud fix daily.

And also a better ignore/block system. Perhaps block their threads, when they are quoted, etc.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Great stuff, Chris.

Here are the features I would most appreciate:

Advanced classified section with auctions, stock, buy it now, automated bidding, feedback system, etc...

Also, it would be great if there were a way to click on a single link to get to new posts vs. having to first go to What's New first and then click on New Posts. That would way I could bookmark New Posts.

A great site is becoming better and better.

Congratulations.

Joel

I'd most like something else:

A better search feature. The present one is very weak, especially when trying searches of two or more words. If you know there are post(s) on a particular topic, it's very hard to find them - even with the advanced search feature. It's usually easier to find them doing a Google search limited to the site domain. I think the internal search should be at least close to the effectiveness of Google for internal searches.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'd most like something else:

A better search feature. The present one is very weak, especially when trying searches of two or more words. If you know there are post(s) on a particular topic, it's very hard to find them - even with the advanced search feature. It's usually easier to find them doing a Google search limited to the site domain. I think the internal search should be at least close to the effectiveness of Google for internal searches.

Or Google search could be made the default search for the forum.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

+1 for search improvement, like/dislike, and WTF. Would like to add button for "inappropriate" as distinct from "unlike" to indicate concern for the socially negative character of the post without alerting the moderator. It could enhance communal self-moderation and also point out whether or not most members are concerned about these kinds of posts.

In my opinion, unproductive, unnecessary, emotionally negative posts appear here on a daily basis. Criticism degenerates into attack and counter-attack, sometimes based on rivalry, intolerance, self-righteousness, judgmental attitudes, bloviating sphincter syndrome, etc., etc. Good arguments turn into nasty diatribes. The thread is lost, nobody wins, everybody loses.

On the other hand, we might find that there is more latitude here than some think and then some of us (like me) could stop belly-achin' and cry-babyin' about uncivil posts, the desperate need for increased moderation, etc., and realize that certain communicative behaviors are status quo, lighten up and live with it.

(You are invited to like/dislike or WTF this post, and ignore is always an option ;) )

1070957250_Imprimatur.NihilObstatSepia3Crop(2).jpg.2162a44365e84a5df7d456bf8026ed67.jpg

Improved moderation would trump any other improvement.

And who will moderate the moderators?

Fact: Everybody is out to push their own agenda.

PS: Maybe not Jud.

Disagree. There is only one person who is tasked with moderation here. The lack of moderation that results in temper tantrums, aggressive behavior, name calling etc. causes potential contributors to avoid this place. It's the same half dozen characters, we all know who they are, and they post with impunity.

And who will moderate the moderators?

Fact: Everybody is out to push their own agenda.

PS: Maybe not Jud.

Let's keep this thread on topic please.

I will say that I prefer to treat people like adults when it comes to moderation. I put more responsibility back on the CA community to act like adults. With a heavy handed babysitter, people act like children.

Nobody gets a free pass around here though. Say something bad enough and I'll take action.

I'm not sure who you are talking about, but I can assure you that I've received private emails telling me to get rid of some people and emails asking for more of those same people in larger roles on CA.

It's not easy. I encourage everyone to take a step back, turn up their stereos for a bit, and relax. Nobody is saving babies or killing puppies around here.

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

I like these, FWIW:

+1

Chris, great job continuing to improve this great site!

Also agree that something should be done that discourages the frequent non-productive and off-topic bickering that derails so many threads. Other than more moderating, unsure what might work best. Hate it when I get alerts to subscribed threads, check them and just see bickering, name-calling, and posts that repeat the same factpinions as posters dig in their heels and spew venom at those on the other side of a debate. As someone else mentioned, it does usually seem to be the same handful of folks grinding their various axes. Maybe we need a "Call Referee" button?

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Very cool, Chris, here are some thoughts:

I like that. I think we use it over at audioshark and it gives a cool sense of community, giving thanks and likes and receiving them. However, it's a bit of extra work for the user and overlap in semantics so I would say pick one of these two if possible.

Chatroom that is archived and searchable for future reference

Could be a fun feature to try.

That could be very interesting as well if used properly by users (asking questions/clarifications as opposed to harassing behaviour).

Not sure how this will work but if it provides a visual feedback of new posts coming in, it would be useful.

Thread ratings

Very useful IMO, especially if you manage to also have an automatic index page for the best threads in each section.

Seems a bit complex to me, so I would rather gather URLs for listings in an outsourced platform like eBay or similar if possible.

Here's a suggestion I thought of a couple of times, but I don't know if plugins are available to do that or it would need some additional PHP coding:

- For an end user A who has ignored a user B, make all new posts and new threads by user B not appear in the "What's New" section as seen by user A. This invisibility can extend to other forum views as well.

Here's another one as I find it sometimes difficult to find old posts and the best posts in a long thread:

- Ability for a user to rate a post and/or bookmark it

- Ability for a user to filter a thread by specifiying a list of members and then get just the posts by those members (e.g. let's say I want to check what new posts in an interesting thread were made by John Swenson, Miska and PeterSt, then I could in the thread tools, just click checkboxes for these guys and check for any new posts).

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels