IGNORED

WHOA, HIGH END, out of my league... PICTURES

Cheapskate. LOL

Gotta save money for the gold lettering on my jet!

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

I've never heard one of these crazy mega-warbucks systems. But I have heard some crazy good-sounding systems with TAD, Vivid, and Vandersteen speakers, powered by top-shelf Ayre, ARC and the like. Ya know, regular warbuck systems! Stunning resolution, dynamics, transparency, etc - just musical to the nth degree.

I wonder whether $200K speakers and $100K amps really sound better than these or are merely different (possibly worse). If I ever win the lottery, I'll probably get a system that tips the scales near $100K and not look back.

You'd be surprised at how many systems that cost over several hundred thousand dollars sound like crap. People really should hire the right dealer to come in and set it up right and recommend the right products for the right spaces.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

You'd be surprised at how many systems that cost over several hundred thousand dollars sound like crap. People really should hire the right dealer to come in and set it up right and recommend the right products for the right spaces.

It's easy to mess up with those kinds of system. The resolution and dynamics they have are so large that it's easier to amplify the faults at any point in the system. They are just more sensitive.

Having said that, when they work well you get very close to the point where you might at times be fouled to think you are in the presence of real musicians (for small combos, of course).

if the dynamics is all there, if the tones are correct, and all is free from distortion it can be spooky real.

Here in Lisbon all major hifi stores now have proper demonstration rooms, with controlled acoustics and careful power installed. It's quite a change from the practice some years ago...

You'd be surprised at how many systems that cost over several hundred thousand dollars sound like crap.

Actually, I wouldn't. I've been to RMAF a couple of times and visited many dealers over the years. While there is clearly a positive relationship between $$$ and SQ, there is also a lot of variance and a point of diminishing returns. Also, I've read Shane Buettner's brutally candid accounts of CES systems. If I believe him (when he used to review, I found my experiences in -line with his opinions), there is something of a sweet spot and spending more can easily result in mediocre (or "silly") sound. Maybe a better way to think about it is to figure out which designers seem to have ears you trust and to ignore the price tag (in the case where you have ultra-deep pockets).

To expand on my earlier post, I'm confident, nay, certain that I would be REALLY happy with Vivid Giyas or Vandersteen 7s driven by top-shelf Ayre or ARC electronics.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

+1

George

The very best system I have had the chance to listen to at any length was extraordinary by every measure on any kind of music. It was in a terrific room and well tuned. It was your basic $150k system.

The owner purchased a new home and moved. The new location of his rig was extremely problematic. Though plenty large it was a hostile environment for stereo. All the same exact gear, and as much blood and sweat to optimize it best possible. That still sounded pretty awful which is where the tears come in. My secondary system with LSR305's driven by an old, old preamp sourced from a laptop was much, much more musical. And has been in a couple average okay rooms. It only lacks in ultimate loudness by comparison.

Rooms and setup are of over-riding importance. Only the speaker itself is more so (and sometimes like in this example the room out-ranks the speaker).

I have also experienced a very nifty DIY rig that over-performed tremendously though short of SOTA that was highly enjoyable for a few thousand dollars. It was temporarily moved to the horror of horrors. A completely uniform cubical room with metal on all sides 11.5 feet high, wide and deep. Though damping and furnishings were placed in the room itself. It too was a horror (though actually less horrible than the $150k system even so).

Rooms and setup are a big deal. The better the gear the more important it becomes.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.