IGNORED

Maybe spending stupid amounts of money on power cords isn't entirely harmless

Allan that was for you. I knew you would like it. Learn. Self-deprecation is good for the soul.
Except that, in your case, self-deprecation is completely lacking what, in law, is referred to as "an air of reality".

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Documented how?

The residents were complaining?? I think Osler and Halsted are laughing in their graves on those "observations"

I can guarantee you that you would rather have a surgeon who was trained the "old egregious" way than the one who got as much sleep as a baby.

Instead of spouting meaningless rhetoric, why don't you try Googling "medical residents sleep deprivation". Over and out.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Instead of spouting meaningless rhetoric, why don't you try Googling "medical residents sleep deprivation". Over and out.

Yes I am well aware of all the nonsense spewed about medical residents and how overworked they are and how us older attendings are the cause of all things bad and they are just poor victims of an institutionalized system where the abuse is nonstop. I am well aware of the "googling" on the topic.

Hey there is a new article I just read about pediatric residents and their high rate of suicide (thoughts at least). Very statistically valid study. In this case it happened to be all females and when asked they all agreed how stressful it is and the majority felt "burned out" and one of the primary factors was not being prepared for morning rounds with the attending

Gosh darn it. Just can't win. If you want them to be ready you are provoking burnout and suicide and if they can go home and sleep and not be at rounds you are responsible for medical errors by having poor sign off. Just can win in AllanWorld.

And therein lies the rub. The CBC did an investigative report secretly filming doctors at hospitals doing their rounds at a number of Canadian hospitals. The number of doctors who didn't wash their hands between touching patients was shocking. When the video was shown to the person in charge of relevant procedures at St. Paul's Hospital in Vancouver, the response was the almost immediate installation of hand sterilizers at the entrance of every hospital room as well as a reminder to all doctors of the importance of washing their hands between patients.

And what specifically was the measure change in infection rate afterwards?

C-dificile infections are contracted most often in hospitals. Years ago, my father was being treated with intravenous antibiotics for chronic bronchitis. He subsequently developed all the classic symptoms of c-dificile infection and died shortly thereafter. The same thing happened to my aunt at the same hospital. Both my father and my aunt were in their 90's and their immune systems had been compromised by the medications they were taking. Although there were no formal diagnoses, I have no doubt that both died as a result of c-dificile infection as, in addition to the classic symptoms, the particular hospital was one of many known to experience a high incidence of such infections.

According to http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/clostridium-difficile-colitis,

C dificile infections are caused by broad spectrum antibiotics. Are you saying that the doctors should have used different treatments, or is it the fault of the companies which make the antibiotics? Should the government develop better treatments?

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Perhaps the medical residents should not ever touch the patients in the hospital? That would prevent infections right?

Perhaps the medical residents should not ever touch the patients in the hospital? That would prevent infections right?

Great points in both posts.

I guess he doesn't understand that medicine unlike most other fields is truly a hands on being there education. But in today's world we have to comply with the PC police, not stress out the residents, make sure they get enough sleep and never ever confront them on rounds for not knowing anything about the patients or their diseases.

We live in Bizarro World. I am 63 and get calls from residents asking me questions about "their patients". Guess where the residents are?? At home or out for the night and I am in the hospital. Pretty amazing. And they have no shame. When I was training I wouldn't have had to worry about fear of stress or suicide if I pulled that shit off; my surgery director would have thrown me out the window first making sure it was at least 8 stories high.

According to C. diff: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments,

C dificile infections are caused by broad spectrum antibiotics. Are you saying that the doctors should have used different treatments, or is it the fault of the companies which make the antibiotics? Should the government develop better treatments?

All I am saying is that the preventive measures for the spread of c-dificile at that particular hospital were inadequate at the time. Thankfully, the situation has much improved since then. Although not specific to c-dificile, the Center for Disease Control has published a report on HAIs (Hospital Acquired Infections), which indicates that "On any given day, about one in 25 hospital patients has at least one healthcare-associated infection". So, contrary to Priaptor's uninformed opinion, the report shows that the situation is a serious one in U.S. hospitals and suggests that the Canadian health care system "sucks" no more than the American one. http://www.cdc.gov/hai/surveillance/

Touching patients with clean hands, uncontaminated from dealing with a previous patient, strikes me as a far better and more practical solution. I don't know why you are being so defensive, unless you happen to be a doctor who doesn't wash his hands between patients.

All I am saying is that the preventive measures for the spread of c-dificile at this particular hospital were inadequate at the time. Thankfully, the situation has since been much improved. Although not specific to c-dificile the Center for Disease Control has published a report on HAIs (Hospital Acquired Infections), which indicates that "On any given day, about one in 25 hospital patients has at least one healthcare-associated infection". So, contrary to Priaptor's uninformed opinion, the situation is a serious one in U.S. hospitals and suggest that the Canadian health care system "sucks" no more than the American one.

Touching patients with clean hands, uncontaminated from dealing with a previous patient, strikes me as a far better and more practical solution.

Sure but that's not going to solve the problem-- if only it were that easy.

You could also look at what rate of hospital infections are associated with tobacco, corn sweetener intake, French fries, margarine , etc etc. It's easy to call these things "errors" but not so simple

Sure but that's not going to solve the problem-- if only it were that easy.
It may not solve the problem, but it certainly would mitigate it to a significant extent. Lack of cleanliness that can easily be avoided is, IMO, appropriately described as an "error". Would you prefer "systemic defect"? It all amounts to the same thing to me.

It is not going to solve the problem, but it certainly would mitigate it to some extent.

Yes! To me that seems like stepwise improvement in a field and is best handled by continuing education rather than use of the term "error" which casts blame.

Yes! To me that seems like stepwise improvement in a field and is best handled by continuing education rather than use of the term "error" which casts blame.
How can a doctor who infects another patient because he couldn't or wouldn't take the time to wash his hands during rounds not be considered blameworthy? As a lawyer, I find it hard to imagine a more obvious case.

How can a doctor who infects another patient because he couldn't or wouldn't take the time to wash his hands during rounds not be considered blameworthy? As a lawyer, I find it hard to imagine a more obvious case.

Of course "as a lawyer" you couldn't find a more obvious case.

Of course you paint a very very broad brush and imply, as the lawyer you are, that the doctors are at fault for "hospital based infections".

Of course for every doctor there are at least 10-20 support staff for that patient, ventilators, dialysis machines all Petri dishes for infection and I am sure most people with a brain are washing their hands and wearing masks the latter for he most serious cases except the family members who come to visit. But why go after the others? I know why because doctors have more money that you can try to take in a law suit. Hey maybe surgeons should scrub, gown and wear gloves too???

Pretty pathetic expose of your perspective even on something as broad as hospital based infections.

See here's where you are both inflammatory and wrong. According to the CDC guidelines: http://www.shea-online.org/Portals/0/CDI%20hand%20hygiene%20Update.pdf

The primary reason hand hygiene with soap and water is not recommended for CDI prevention in non-outbreak settings is there are no studies that have found an increase in CDI with the use of alcohol-based hand hygiene products or a decrease in CDI with the use of soap and water (5-11)

Jabbr

You are reasonable. Trust me just about every health care worker washes their hands, wears gloves when examining patients and in the severest of cases gowns up and wears masks. In fact this whole issue has been dealt with by those who are super infected being isolated from other patients. The strictest precautions are applied to dialysis and intubation patients.

Allan is making it like its the Wild West in hospitals or before people understood the concept of "germs"

His arguments are pretty absurd to say the least.

I am sure there are bad apples but clearly not the majority.

Your point is exactly correct. These are NOT errors.

Allan is making it like its the Wild West in hospitals or before people understood the concept of "germs"

His arguments are pretty absurd to say the least.

I am sure there are bad apples but clearly not the majority.

Your point is exactly correct. These are NOT errors.

Self serving nonsense. Clearly avoidable infections are "errors", or would you prefer the term "professional negligence"?

You appear to be infected with the "Doctors are God" germ, one that resists virtually every form of treatment.

Self serving nonsense. Clearly avoidable infections are "errors", or would you prefer the term "professional negligence"?

You appear to be infected with the "Doctors are God" germ, one that resists virtually every form of treatment.

Wait you mean doctors aren't God? I thought you were an atheist?

Actually no. I am one of the biggest critics of my peers and know better than you whose only purpose to classify as you do so as to suck out from the system for personal gain.

You call it avoidable because you create a BS scenario that doesn't exist and claim it does exist to claim it is an error so you can sue and perpetuate the crooked system you are engulfed in strictly for self gain.

I see the real screw ups and the really bad practice patterns in the health care system and not the make believe nonsense you and your cronies make up.

Hospital acquired infections are a fact of life. The AC systems are set up to handle as best they can, the incubators, respirators, dialysis machines, ICUs, etc in American hospitals are setup to avoid what you claim is a common behavior. Do you even understand how a hospital a/c works? Do you know about universal precautions? Do you know about isolation? You don't know anything but think you are the man who knows all things

So this guy dies and goes to heaven. His first night in the celestial cafeteria, he is lining up to get his food when this old guy with flowing robes, a long grey beard, a crown on his head and a stethoscope around his neck strides up and pushes in at the head of the queue. The newcomer asks the guy in front of him, "Who's that". The guy replies, "Oh that's God. He thinks he's a doctor."

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

so this guy dies and goes to heaven. His first night in the celestial cafeteria, he is lining up to get his food when this old guy with flowing robes, a long grey beard, a crown on his head and a stethoscope around his neck strides up and pushes in at the head of the queue. The newcomer asks the guy in front of him, "who's that". The guy replies, "oh that's god. He thinks he's a doctor."

excellent

An article from Dr. AIX - related to the original topic. Maybe we see a few recordings of these demos at the upcoming show.......Article below.

Keeping Them Honest?

Dr. AIX

The upcoming Newport Audio show, which will be held in a couple of weeks in Southern California, might be a perfect opportunity to do a little investigative reporting into high-end cable demos (or other questionable equipment demos). I got thinking about my recent experience — and aftermath — in Chicago after a reader told he thought it would be good idea to document a few of the demos on video. In reality, I had planned to capture the AXPONA cable demo with my wife's iPhone but failed. My inability to "substantiate" any of the claims I presented in my posts was where I got into trouble. If I had succeeded in properly documenting the demonstrations, perhaps the outcome would have been different.

But that doesn't mean that I shouldn't try again, right? And the Newport Show might be just the opportunity to record audio and video of demos showing dramatic fidelity improvements attributed to power cords, digital interconnects, or expensive isolation "cones". In reality, most of the vendors know who I am and will likely avoid doing anything to falsely hype their products if I walk in their demo room. But what about other visitors interested in getting to the bottom of these questions? Why not reach out to a few readers of this blog?

In the interest of understanding the "science" behind cable design and the search for the truth, I'm suggesting that show attendees take out their Smartphones and record both the audio and video of various demos. Then post them on YouTube or send them to me. If you want to step up the game a little, download a "sound pressure meter" or "spectrum analyzer" app for your device and have a friend video the readings as the various demos are played. An SPL meter, if held steady throughout the demo, should indicate the volume of sound. A meter with a digital readout would be best.

What should you see…the same volume regardless of which cable is inserted into the signal path. Power cords and digital interconnects should not change the volume level of optical players, music servers, preamplifiers, or power amps. They should also not alter the timbre or fidelity of any music being played. There are other pieces of equipment or software plug-ins that are used to accomplish those tasks. So be on the lookout. If you see a demo and something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. You should enter every demo with a healthy amount of skepticism.

I believe it would be very good for show attendees to document everything they experience at the upcoming Newport Show. Let's start to challenge the claims that company representatives make. Make them explain what they're demoing, why their products "improve" fidelity, and the methodology behind their demos. If you hear something that doesn't sound quite right, ask questions and challenge the "subjective" approach to high-end audio claims.

I read a report from a well know audio blog site about a demo he experienced at the last RMAF by a very familiar high-end cable company that claimed company X "busts cable myths". Needless to say, the "review" read like a sales piece by the marketing department of the cable maker. In a clear case of "don't bite the hand that feeds you", there was a banner ad from another very high-end cable manufacturer adjacent to the ridiculous comments being made by the writer. How convenient.

See you in Newport Beach!

[emoji651]️ Fun experiment but terribly difficult to execute especially with just your portable device. Many people moving around, shuffling, airco, coughing russling of papers etc. will cause the recording to wildly differ.

It would be fun to call them out on playing a different track or portion of a track during a demo or volume changes as that happens often.

download a "sound pressure meter" or "spectrum analyzer" app for your device and have a friend video the readings as the various demos are played. An SPL meter, if held steady throughout the demo, should indicate the volume of sound. A meter with a digital readout would be best.

Unfortunately, phone app SPL meters are not sufficiently accurate and precise to reliably identify differences of less than 2 db, as determined in a very good study by NIOSH done to see if phone-based SPL meters might be useful for occupational noise exposure measurements (which are spec'ed at +/- 2db). The confidence interval for readings on the most accurate iPhone SPL meter apps is +/- 2db, so the best 3 iPhone apps would seemingly be OK for this purpose if certified by NIOSH (which they're not). All the rest were worse - see the chart below. They also found that Android phones were much worse than iPhones, attributing this to "...the iOS advanced audio capabilities compared to other platforms, the open ecosystem of the Android platform, and having so many different Android device manufacturers using different suppliers and components".

blog_Fig2_Kardous1.jpg

Unfortunately, phone app SPL meters are not sufficiently accurate and precise to reliably identify differences of less than 2 db, as determined in a very good study by NIOSH done to see if phone-based SPL meters might be useful for occupational noise exposure measurements (which are spec'ed at +/- 2db). The confidence interval for readings on the most accurate iPhone SPL meter apps is +/- 2db, so the best 3 iPhone apps would seemingly be OK for this purpose if certified by NIOSH (which they're not). All the rest were worse - see the chart below. They also found that Android phones were much worse than iPhones, attributing this to "...the iOS advanced audio capabilities compared to other platforms, the open ecosystem of the Android platform, and having so many different Android device manufacturers using different suppliers and components".

blog_Fig2_Kardous1.jpg

Quite true, though AudioTools, which I use, has an SPL graphing app that allows comparisons at multiple chosen points. Thus if you graph two demos and compare at ten points, if sometimes graph A is up and sometimes graph B is up, you can't conclude one demo is louder than the other (though you can't conclude they're the same, either). If you compare at ten points and one graph is consistently up by approximately the same amount, this allows you nothing like scientific certainty, but perhaps it is enough for a layperson to reasonably conclude one demo was louder than the other.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

If you compare at ten points and one graph is consistently up by approximately the same amount, this allows you nothing like scientific certainty, but perhaps it is enough for a layperson to reasonably conclude one demo was louder than the other.

But if the confidence interval around any measurement is +/-2 db with phone-based systems, remembering that this includes repeatability as well as accuracy, a true difference of less than 2 will not be identified consistently and accurately - those 10 points may be off by as much as 4 db from each other from measurement to measurement on the same phone or among 10 different phones. And a difference of 3 or more doesn't require measuring to detect - all but the seriously hearing impaired would hear it.