IGNORED

Questions re Paul Pang PPA usb card V3 vs V4, REGEN

Hi All

I understand that the PPA usb card V4 has a physically separated clock and a 40mm height which can be accommodated in smaller cases. The V3 has an integrated clock and 45mm height.

Are the the PPA usb card V3 and V4 identical except for form factor?

How is the V4 clock module attached inside the case?

They are supposed to sound the same, anyone with an opinion on that?

Any opinions on how they sound in conjunction with a REGEN?

Any news of a PPA usb card v5 ?

Cheers

David

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Are the the PPA usb card V3 and V4 identical except for form factor?

Yes, that's correct. the only difference is that the clock module is separate in v4 rather than sited on top of v3.

How is the V4 clock module attached inside the case?

It comes with standoffs and screws. If you are using Streacom chassis, it attaches to the base out of the many holes available close by to the PCIe card.

They are supposed to sound the same, anyone with an opinion on that?

They are the same card, so I suppose they are suppose to sound the same, though I haven't used v3 in my system. You can ask Paul about it.

Any opinions on how they sound in conjunction with a REGEN?

I use it with the RUR and it sounds very nice.

Any news of a PPA usb card v5 ?

None that I know off.

Hi Dev, Thanks for the replies.

It comes with standoffs and screws. If you are using Streacom chassis, it attaches to the base out of the many holes available close by to the PCIe card.

I have the HDPlex H5 Gen2 case. I hope I wouldn't need to start drilling holes. Probably safer to go with the V3 as I suspect the extra height will not be a problem.

I use it with the RUR and it sounds very nice.

Okay and thanks.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Bear in mind that there is a big chance all these usb cards will become redundant with the introduction of the Sonore microRendu

Ughh! It's difficult to keep up. The microRendu looks outwardly like a REGEN with an ethernet input instead of a USB B input. Is it for playing from a NAS? If so, how will it replace music played direct from local storage via a usb card?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

Ughh! It's difficult to keep up. The microRendu looks outwardly like a REGEN with an ethernet input instead of a USB B input. Is it for playing from a NAS? If so, how will it replace music played direct from local storage via a usb card?

The mRendu is effectively an optimised developer board like the Raspberry Pi and Odroid. But of course, all switching supplies have been optimised for music playback and any unnecessary parts have been taken off. Furthermore, it has the Regen inbuild on its USB port. And it runs an optimised, Linux based OS.

It can play from a NAS using a directory mapping utilising MPD, or it can play from a NAS using a UPnP server ala minimserver. Playback from USB sticks or HDD is not possible, unless you insert these into a USB port on a router that is connected with Ethernet to the mRendu. It can also serve as an NAA for HQ Player.

I ordered one as all this DIY computer crap with LPSUs became too cumbersome for my liking.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

The V3 fits with caveats. If you're using the first PCI slot on your MB for the PPA card you won't be able to use the second PCI slot with a short bracket. You would need to use a riser cable and use a long bracket mounted horizontally.

H5.JPG

Hi Dev, Thanks for the replies.

I have the HDPlex H5 Gen2 case. I hope I wouldn't need to start drilling holes. Probably safer to go with the V3 as I suspect the extra height will not be a problem.

Okay and thanks.

PC with PPA Studio V3 USB card > LH Labs LPS4 > Light Harmonic LightSpeed 10G Split > LH Labs Pulse X ∞ > DHC Complement 4 Ag > Fostex TH900

my experience, with HDPlex H5 Gen2, recommend choice V4, you can use one of cooler hole at H5 bottom to screw external clock, you can install V3 easily, but some day when you want install external display card (e.g for use CUDA with HQPlayer), V3 will block external slot.

Thanks Germay0653 and Darkforce

After a number of email discussions with Paul pang I have purchased the V3 (yet to arrive so not installed).

Paul assures me it is the same sonically as the V4 (which is soley for a low profile case) and has made some recent tweaks.Not sure what these are but I do know V3/4 no longer require any 3.3V from PCIe.

There is no V5 in the wings.

My server will never need a Video card as I can run headless with VNC and also hook up to my TV screen using the graphics embedded on the CPU.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

The mRendu is effectively an optimised developer board like the Raspberry Pi and Odroid. But of course, all switching supplies have been optimised for music playback and any unnecessary parts have been taken off. Furthermore, it has the Regen inbuild on its USB port. And it runs an optimised, Linux based OS.

It can play from a NAS using a directory mapping utilising MPD, or it can play from a NAS using a UPnP server ala minimserver. Playback from USB sticks or HDD is not possible, unless you insert these into a USB port on a router that is connected with Ethernet to the mRendu. It can also serve as an NAA for HQ Player.

I ordered one as all this DIY computer crap with LPSUs became too cumbersome for my liking.

Ahhh you have gone over to the dark side my friend !lol

Interestingly to see the logical evolution of what started out as Servers vs Streamer network players. It seems now and perhaps then to come down to galvanic isolation method, but obviously there are other considerations.

Just on the Galvanic isolation side of things I suspect (just speculation) both approaches will achieve good results. The new flavour of network devices appears to be "Renderers"/ Ethernet bridges. I have had some recent *separate* conversations about the MSB renderer (which plugs directly into their DAC I2S board) and I am led to believe Jesus-Sonore , JohnS Uptone and Stuart -SGR Audio have been involved somehow. As everyone knows John S is also involved in the MicroRendu and the REGEN and has a new mystery psu to be announced soon that will cater for any future regen developments or renderers. Stuart has also developed a "Music cube" server (native player but roon capable,linux based os,minimalist hardware) in conjunction with MSB. I heard this yesterday in Sydney and it sounded superb.It is not yet quite ready for public consumption. Then of course there is the 2 pc server approach and OS optimisations,usb cards, usb cables diconnecting Pin 1 +5V from usb,new usb isolation devices, reclockers,regenerators,recovery devices, and usb dacs like the kalliope that produce their own capacitor based power for the usb input powered/energised by an internal linear psu.

Developers seem to be supporting both approaches concurrently,whether network or direct connection (not "us" against "them"), and I wager that galvanic isolation will not be an important deciding factor between them in the future.It will come down to one's overall audio philosophy, like or dislike of large hardware, ease of use,reliability, cost, wife acceptance factor, ....and subjectively perceived SQ. Chuck in a few arguments over measurements and its business as usual !

Sound Minds Mind Sound