IGNORED

Is the MicroRendu right for me? Replacing a noisy PC!

I have to admit that I am a little confused about the Sonore server implementation and whether or not its the right choice for me. I stream all of my music via Tidal mostly. I am intrigued by Roon but only because I find the Discovery of new music via its interface intriguing.

My current setup is as follows. Dedicated Audio PC/Windows 10/Fideliser/Jriver -> Elfidelity USB card (Powered by ELCheapo LPSU) -> Regen (Powered by ELCheapo LPSU) -> Schitt Gungnir -> Decware CSP2+ Preamp -> Melody 845-1 monoblocks -> Tang Band Custom Speakers w/1705 Fullrange Drivers. Cadence Powered Sub. All run off 1200 watt homemade balanced power supply. I control the system via remote desktop on my PC laptop.

The thorn in my audio side is the Audio PC. With the Regen removed from the system a tremendous amount of noise slips through the ElFidelity card. While the Regen blocks the noise I know its there in the USB line disrupting the signal. The question is what to replace it with. My budget is $750 or the cost of the MicroRendu. I would prefer to be able to control the entire process from my PC laptop but could be tempted to switch to controlling the system via Android. I do not want to make the switch to an Apple control system so Aires and Auralic are not an option for me. I really like the use of the EQ function of Jriver. Can this feature be found when moving away from a PC platform?

Can someone explain how Roon / Jriver integrates itself into a system with a Sonore product in place. Do these run on the PC which then feeds the Sonore software? What is the benefit here if any?

Would the MicroRendu be overkill in my chain and should I just go the HiFiberry or SonicOrbitor route instead and spend the money saved elsewhere in the chain? Where would you go from here? I am not limiting myself to Sonore and would consider a fanless PC, Elac etc. as long as I can control it simply via a web gui or remote desktop app on a PC. Your advice and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

EtherRegen powered by Sonore UltraCap LPS1.2 -> Optical Cable ->OpticalRendu powered by SGC 50w LPS -> Ghent silver plated ->star quad USB (JSSG360)->Denafrips Hermes DDC -> i2S HDMI (Clocked by Terminator Dac via BNC)->Denafrips Terminator II Dac->Linear Tube Audio Preamplifier->Melody 845M Monoblocks -> Silversmith Fidelium Speaker Cables->Pure Audio Project Trio15 Coaxial Open Baffle Speakers->2X SVS 4000 Subwoofers->All connected to PSAudio P10 Power Plant

Can someone explain how Roon / Jriver integrates itself into a system with a Sonore product in place. Do these run on the PC which then feeds the Sonore software? What is the benefit here if any?

I don't think there is any problem here. The microRendu isn't a server, it's an ethernet>USB converter - in other words, more like a network attached playback device that connects to your network on one side and your USB DAC on the other. Conceptually, it's an audio conduit, with software installed that gives you several "modes" or types of software for playback, depending on how your server software is setup.

In your system you'd plug it into the network on one side and to the DAC via USB on the other. It would directly replace the Regen on the USB end and connect to your network from its ethernet port.

You could continue using JRiver as your playback software, just as you do now, you'd just have to change the settings to tell it to output to the microRendu (which it will recognize on your network as a DLNA device once you activate that mode in the microRendu UI). Same for Roon if you install it on your server - it will recognize the microRendu as a RoonReady device if you activate that mode on the microRendu.

I don't think the microR will be overkill in your chain. Acc'd to the designer, it has a slightly improved version of the Regen built in, and has other design aspects meant to feed your DAC a very clean quiet signal. Part of the benefit comes from this being a noise isolated network device (it gets less noise delivered to it over the network than the Regen does over USB), and additional benefit becomes from it being specially designed to deliver hi-end audio, unlike most computer audio playback/server devices.

I ordered one, and will be very surprised if it doesn't deliver the goods.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hey there,

I got another newbie question.

Can I use this in a setup with only a network hdd which generates it's own network? Want to use it at a location with no Internet access.

So the simplest setup would be great.

Cheers

You cannot connect any disks to the microRenu, those need to be connected to some other device such as a NAS or some other computer that will be on when playing music.

You then need a network to connect between the computer with the storage and the microRendu. You will need something that implements a DHCP server, this is usually implemented in a router, but there are other ways to do this. A computer CAN be configured as a DHCP server so that probably makes the simplest system possible.

This would consist of a laptop that has been configured as a DHCP server (exactly how to do this varies from OS to OS), the laptop would store the music on its hard disk. You would have something like JRiver that can be the server and control. An Ethernet cable goes from the laptop to the microRendu. The laptop stores the music files AND serves as the control (where you select what music to play etc). This does not require a router or internet connection.

There are MANY other ways to build a system. Many people like to use a phone or tablet as the control with a separate box storing the files, that way the noisy disk drives can be in another room. You can still set that up without an internet connection.

The one place where an internet connection comes in handy is the initial setup of the microRendu. In order to set it up you need to know its IP address to point your browser to it. The way this is normally done is to connect the microRendu into a network which DOES have an internet connection. Then point your browser to sonicorbiter.com, this website will find the microRendu on your network, show its IP address and let you click on it to bring up the configuration webpage built into the microRendu. From that page you can select what mode you want it to run in. Once it is configured you do not need the internet connection anymore.

If you have no way to get to an internet connection AT ALL you CAN still do it but it is harder. You need to know the IP address, this is usually done by logging into your router and looking into the DHCP lease table (exactly how you do this is VERY device specific), then starting a browser and typing the IP address into the location bar. It is MUCH easier to just use the sonicorbiter.com process.

So if you are going to be using the microRendu in a location that does not have internet access I would recommend doing the setup at some place that DOES have internet access, then you can take it to a location without internet access.

So let us know how you would like to use it, single laptop for everything, black box for storage and phone or tablet for control, so some other scenario you come up with and we can try and come up with specific details for you.

John S.

Thank you John for this detailed awnser.

I think a solution with phone control would be the best for me.

I do have mobile Internet, so I can create a Hotspot. From there I need to find a simple way to connect my music files via Ethernet. Can The black box be a DIY raspberry pi solution? Or is there a turn key solution that doesn't break the bank?

Cheers and thanks again

You cannot connect any disks to the microRenu, those need to be connected to some other device such as a NAS or some other computer that will be on when playing music.

You then need a network to connect between the computer with the storage and the microRendu. You will need something that implements a DHCP server, this is usually implemented in a router, but there are other ways to do this. A computer CAN be configured as a DHCP server so that probably makes the simplest system possible.

This would consist of a laptop that has been configured as a DHCP server (exactly how to do this varies from OS to OS), the laptop would store the music on its hard disk. You would have something like JRiver that can be the server and control. An Ethernet cable goes from the laptop to the microRendu. The laptop stores the music files AND serves as the control (where you select what music to play etc). This does not require a router or internet connection.

There are MANY other ways to build a system. Many people like to use a phone or tablet as the control with a separate box storing the files, that way the noisy disk drives can be in another room. You can still set that up without an internet connection.

The one place where an internet connection comes in handy is the initial setup of the microRendu. In order to set it up you need to know its IP address to point your browser to it. The way this is normally done is to connect the microRendu into a network which DOES have an internet connection. Then point your browser to sonicorbiter.com, this website will find the microRendu on your network, show its IP address and let you click on it to bring up the configuration webpage built into the microRendu. From that page you can select what mode you want it to run in. Once it is configured you do not need the internet connection anymore.

If you have no way to get to an internet connection AT ALL you CAN still do it but it is harder. You need to know the IP address, this is usually done by logging into your router and looking into the DHCP lease table (exactly how you do this is VERY device specific), then starting a browser and typing the IP address into the location bar. It is MUCH easier to just use the sonicorbiter.com process.

So if you are going to be using the microRendu in a location that does not have internet access I would recommend doing the setup at some place that DOES have internet access, then you can take it to a location without internet access.

So let us know how you would like to use it, single laptop for everything, black box for storage and phone or tablet for control, so some other scenario you come up with and we can try and come up with specific details for you.

John S.

Intriguing setup with the laptop John, I'd like to experiment with this. Do you have a DHCP server software recommendation for Windows 10?

Intriguing setup with the laptop John, I'd like to experiment with this. Do you have a DHCP server software recommendation for Windows 10?

Cheaper to use an existing router or a new smart router. All you'd need is for the router to also run some sort of DLNA or UPnP media server, most modern ones do. Plug the NAS or HDD into the router and run ethernet from the router to the microRendu.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Cheaper to use an existing router or a new smart router. All you'd need is for the router to also run some sort of DLNA or UPnP media server, most modern ones do. Plug the NAS or HDD into the router and run ethernet from the router to the microRendu.

Or you could use the NAS as the DHCP server. Simpler still. Run the ethernet directly from the NAS to the mRendu and use the second ethernet port to connect to a pc for the display.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Or you could use the NAS as the DHCP server. Simpler still. Run the ethernet directly from the NAS to the mRendu and use the second ethernet port to connect to a pc for the display.

That works too though I've not tried with my Synology.

But for me the NAS is primarily wireless, don't have ethernet running through the entire home and the NAS is physically located on another floor (basement actually). To get ethernet anywhere I'd either need powerline or WiFi extender with ethernet. Thankfully wireless works just fine for streaming both audio and video.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

That works too though I've not tried with my Synology.

But for me the NAS is primarily wireless, don't have ethernet running through the entire home and the NAS is physically located on another floor (basement actually). To get ethernet anywhere I'd either need powerline or WiFi extender with ethernet. Thankfully wireless works just fine for streaming both audio and video.

Yeah, I was just thinking that. My solution precludes any form of wireless. So, no iPad or Android control devices and all that.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

• 3 weeks later...

John S.

Hi

I am interested in trying out a microRendu but don't have any network cable outlets in my listening room. I do have Wi Fi though but the microRendu doesn't support that. To use the microRendu, I am guessing I would have to do one of the following:

1. Get a wireless bridge which is connected to my LAN (where the music library is also on) via Wi Fi and link the microRendu via ethernet cable to it.

2. Get a powerline solution

Which of the above do you think works best sonically?

Was there a reason you did not include a Wi Fi function in the microRendu like say a Squeezebox Touch or Auralic Aries? Is it because of noise?

@mikey - you'll get mixed reviews on which method is better. I found ethernet over power was better in my system. I run ethernet over power adapters from my office to my living room, through a 8 port gigabit switch, and am hooked up to eight individual components (not all at once though). I placed PS Audio Noise Harvesters with each powerline adapter to address audible line noise, which was present before I added the Noise Harvesters. Works good for me.

if you have coax available in the room -- you can also use coax to ethernet adapters. just put some in and they work very well -- better than powerline, imo.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-MoCA-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6000K02/dp/B013J7L6BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464292502&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=moca+adapter&psc=1

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Thanks for the link. I have Time Warner Cable (SoCal) and it seems the parameters for the system are very tight (and float when additional service addresses are added). When a couple of neighbors switched over to TWC, it put my stuff out of range and I had pixelation issues. Techs had to come out and dial in the cable line signals at the box.

if you have coax available in the room -- you can also use coax to ethernet adapters. just put some in and they work very well -- better than powerline, imo.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-MoCA-Ethernet-Adapter-ECB6000K02/dp/B013J7L6BW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464292502&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=moca+adapter&psc=1

I do have coax available but it is the really old coax from terrestrial TV days linked to a rooftop antenna which hasn't been used in many years - well not since we switched to satellite TV which runs directly to the TV from the dish via HDMI.

Will that old coax outlet work with these MOCA adapters?

I looked at the specs and it says up to 670 Mbps. I use a Gigabit router but presume 670 Mbps is sufficient for audio upsampling to 512 DSD and 1080p video?

Thanks

I do have coax available but it is the really old coax from terrestrial TV days linked to a rooftop antenna which hasn't been used in many years - well not since we switched to satellite TV which runs directly to the TV from the dish via HDMI.

Will that old coax outlet work with these MOCA adapters?

I looked at the specs and it says up to 670 Mbps. I use a Gigabit router but presume 670 Mbps is sufficient for audio upsampling to 512 DSD and 1080p video?

Thanks

The bandwith is ample for sound (16/44.1 is 1.14Mbps - you're lucky if you hit 10Mbps with hi-res). If you run 1080p video in uncompressed mode, there is a slight chance you'll go over 100Mbps. But standard netflix and apple TV stay well under 20Mbps.

Yeah, I was just thinking that. My solution precludes any form of wireless. So, no iPad or Android control devices and all that.

Hmm too bad... So there is no way to have a NAS which acts as DHCP and can create a WIFI for Android controls? There must be a way to create a preferably portable solution with one box for all...

I am zeroing on the uRendu and it will be most likely be my next step... But I need a simple one box solution for storage and access.

Is the uRendu available to purchase from the EU, maybe Germany? If not will it be, soon?

Cheers

Hmm too bad... So there is no way to have a NAS which acts as DHCP and can create a WIFI for Android controls? There must be a way to create a preferably portable solution with one box for all...

I am zeroing on the uRendu and it will be most likely be my next step... But I need a simple one box solution for storage and access.

Is the uRendu available to purchase from the EU, maybe Germany? If not will it be, soon?

Cheers

Sure, a Qnap NAS will support a wireless setup and run a dhcp server. It's all there.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

OK so you are saying that a setup with uRendu and a Qnap NAS will work and can be controlled via smartphone?... Just to be clear can this work in a offline situation as well? Is it possible to connect uRendu and Qnap and then access via a created Hotspot or a direct WiFi connection between phone and NAS? PRETTY PLEASE SAY YES :)