IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.5.1 with PCM->DSD Conversion

Jud

Yes, just rename the old app at least to AudirvanaPlus25.app or something like that before installing the beta. You can rename the new one to something else if you want, but it's not necessary.

So what is the best setting in A+ Pref's? I have currently DSD over PCM Standard 1.1 but in the Audio Filter window what would be the best settings?

Thanks

In such cases that did occur for me at the early beginning of my journey with A+, solution has been to do the exact contrary of what you've done.

The solution that solved my issue has been:

1- decrease the filter lenght to something between 500000 et 1000000

2- decrease the ram buffer to 1mb (this was a clever advice from Damien at the moment)

If you use some AU plugins, try to deactivate or to choose another one since it is very often that processor or memory might suffered too much from these ones.

Check also what kind of upsampling you've set... Sometimes, less is better...

One other idea might be to reset all A+ Standard parameters, and to make your desired improvements step by step till you face again the issue. Then you will understand what is behind.

My 2 cents just in case ;)

Point 2 where is the ram buffer you're referring to?

Thanks stewart

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26833[/ATTACH]

Thanks. What is being suggested here? Is it that allocating less memory to track preloading leaves more to do other stuff that helps sound quality?

If this is the case the benefit presumably depends on how much memory you have installed.

BTW I see you have direct mode selected I've seen suggestions its best turned off (don't understand why).

Thanks. What is being suggested here? Is it that allocating less memory to track preloading leaves more to do other stuff that helps sound quality?

If this is the case the benefit presumably depends on how much memory you have installed.

BTW I see you have direct mode selected I've seen suggestions its best turned off (don't understand why).

In Filters tab, i use Damien Isotope numbers default now since i upsampled PCM to DSD... i had the buffer at 13gb out of 16gb memory, but it make the CPU works to much and never settles down... with Damien izotope default, and memory at 1mb buffer... it works better for CPU... it rest, it buff, it rest, it buff... i'll changed my settings back when Damien makes A+ working better in the DSD upsampling... it is pretty new... so, it should be working better in next releases. Buffer memory don't change quality, direct mode yes since it bypass the Mac Core Audio... if it works with your DAC, it should be ON for better quality in sound.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

BTW, if you don't upsample you can put your memory way higher since it will load faster and then let the CPU settle down... i put it down only because upsampling at DSD128. If you don't, Damien said to leave 2.5gb for system and give the rest to the buffer.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

I am getting intermittent buzzing with A+ when listening to Tidal, always happens at the end of the song. I am using version 2.5.2

I am having similar problem. The playback stops with an electronic noise. The noise modulation is somehow dependent of the song played. It is not the same type of noise all the time. This is extremely annoying especially when volume is on higher setting. It makes me worry about my speakers.

The interesting thing is, that usually the music stops about 5 seconds before the end of the song.

For example slider showing time stops at 5:19 when song is 5:24 long, and it does not move forward. I have to forward to the next song or play the album from the start. I think most of the time it happens on the first song of an album. It happens with my library and with Tidal.

This is my first post after lurking for years. I would like to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge.

Apple Mac Mini (8GB RAM / 256 GB SSD) –> Audirvana Studio-> ISO Regen->Audio Mirror IV SE
Bluesound Node 2->Audio Mirror Tubadour IV SE

In Filters tab, i use Damien Isotope numbers default now since i upsampled PCM to DSD... i had the buffer at 13gb out of 16gb memory, but it make the CPU works to much and never settles down... with Damien izotope default, and memory at 1mb buffer... it works better for CPU... it rest, it buff, it rest, it buff... i'll changed my settings back when Damien makes A+ working better in the DSD upsampling... it is pretty new... so, it should be working better in next releases. Buffer memory don't change quality, direct mode yes since it bypass the Mac Core Audio... if it works with your DAC, it should be ON for better quality in sound.

What is the difference between "direct" and "integer" mode I thought it was integer that bypassed the macs core audio and therefore trumped all others for minimum processing/CPU useage

If you select direct mode with integer on you get a choice of integer mode 1 or 2, what's the difference?

If you deselect direct mode you see another box "use large Coreaudio I/O buffer" is this a good thing?

Perhaps Damien could tell us what's hapenning here

Thanks stewart

What is the difference between "direct" and "integer" mode I thought it was integer that bypassed the macs core audio and therefore trumped all others for minimum processing/CPU useage

Integer mode bypasses one layer of OS X audio processing. Direct mode takes the place of the OS X audio driver, the most basic layer of OS X audio processing.

If you select direct mode with integer on you get a choice of integer mode 1 or 2, what's the difference?

Mode 2 was the original, mode 1 was produced by Damien after he had a chance to tune things a bit with some higher end equipment.

If you deselect direct mode you see another box "use large Coreaudio I/O buffer" is this a good thing?

Try the various settings and see what you like. Different people prefer different ones on different systems.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I am having similar problem. The playback stops with an electronic noise.

Thanks for sharing. Sorry your seem to be suffering a similar problem. White noise/static/electronic seems to be consistent for me. But often get the stall 3 sec from end of song without any noise at all.

Few seem to have this problem and don't think Damien has reproduced it.

I get it more often when computer is taxed. Lowering ram for A+ appears to reduce the issue, but not solve it.

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

I found this method of Forced Upsampling to DSD is VERY CPU intensive. My (pretty old) Mac Mini 2009 fights very hard to achieve any PCM to DSD transcoding (either to DSD64, DSD128 or DSD256). Playing through an iFi micro iDSD (capable of DSD512).

Maybe the secret to put less strain on the CPU is the "DSD Filter"? Haven't found any info on that. Could someone please instruct us on this matter?

PCM to DSD transcoding skyrockets my CPU usage to 196% (and the CPU temp rises pretty fast). Nevertheless, playing any DSD up to 256 or PCM up to 768 doesn't require more than 1% CPU.

Any way to get around this? For the time being, I have decided no transcoding to DSD. PCM gets pushed to my DAC as PCM, not DSD. :-(

:-(

I found this method of Forced Upsampling to DSD is VERY CPU intensive. My (pretty old) Mac Mini 2009 fights very hard to achieve any PCM to DSD transcoding (either to DSD64, DSD128 or DSD256). Playing through an iFi micro iDSD (capable of DSD512).

Maybe the secret to put less strain on the CPU is the "DSD Filter"? Haven't found any info on that. Could someone please instruct us on this matter?

PCM to DSD transcoding skyrockets my CPU usage to 196% (and the CPU temp rises pretty fast). Nevertheless, playing any DSD up to 256 or PCM up to 768 doesn't require more than 1% CPU.

Any way to get around this? For the time being, I have decided no transcoding to DSD. PCM gets pushed to my DAC as PCM, not DSD. :-(

:-(

Try A0 filter (if you aren't already) and lowering memory used to load tracks to 1.5GB (1536MB), or perhaps 1GB (1024MB) if CPU usage doesn't go down with 1.5.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Try A0 filter (if you aren't already) and lowering memory used to load tracks to 1.5GB (1536MB), or perhaps 1GB (1024MB) if CPU usage doesn't go down with 1.5.

Thanks Jud! Will try that. buffer was already at 1024 MB. I changed (remotely vía TeamViewer) the Filter to A0. Hopefully this will put less strain on the CPU, as it is the only thing I could modify that wasn't already like you stated. Keeping my fingers crossed and testing tonight when I'm at home.

Still not enough. If I keep playing music this way I'll probably fry my CPU.

Any other settings suggestion? Is it possible it is just a software problem that may be corrected in following versions? If that's the case, I may just sit and wait for the next version to arrive hoping some of these problems are solved.

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 21.15.38.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 21.15.22.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 21.13.19.png

Still not enough. If I keep playing music this way I'll probably fry my CPU.

Any other settings suggestion? Is it possible it is just a software problem that may be corrected in following versions? If that's the case, I may just sit and wait for the next version to arrive hoping some of these problems are solved.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26909[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26910[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26911[/ATTACH]

A Core 2 Duo processor has 2 actual and 2 virtual cores, so the 178% CPU being reported is a touch less than 45% CPU each. Do you hear the Mini's fan running?

Fans are running 1500 rpm but cpu temp can easily get near 90 °C which scares the hell out of me.

Two further suggestions:

- Make sure to clean any dust out of the fan and ventilation slots.

- Upsample only to DSD64.

If one or both of these suggestions doesn't work to keep the CPU cooler with the fan off most of the time, then for now it looks like you're limited to upsampling to PCM.

Both great points...... DSD 64 still sounds great too.

I bought a can of compressed air and whilst fitting a new SSD drive to the MM cleaned it out..... Amazing him much dust resides on the fans themselves.

Chris

Two further suggestions:

- Make sure to clean any dust out of the fan and ventilation slots.

- Upsample only to DSD64.

If one or both of these suggestions doesn't work to keep the CPU cooler with the fan off most of the time, then for now it looks like you're limited to upsampling to PCM.

What changes does this bring?

afaik these are beta builds Damien is releasing to beta testers only, so... I'd wait for official stable ones ;)

(or ask Damien to be part of the beta program)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Yea I've been testing previous betas ... Just wondered what this was trying to resolve/fix? :)

afaik these are beta builds Damien is releasing to beta testers only, so... I'd wait for official stable ones ;)

(or ask Damien to be part of the beta program)