IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.5.1 with PCM->DSD Conversion

Upgraded to 2.5.2 tonight and can confirm it works and sounds as expected, very good. Tidal integration is also working reasonably well with only a few minor hicups and 2 crashes when i pushed it around a little too hard.

Nice work guys, my setup has never sounded better from a streaming point of view.

I confirm the 2.5.2 version works well and sounds very nice. Thanks Damien !

However, I am testing Dirac 1.2 and have issues with the direct mode (does not work Actually). Does anyone have similar experience ?

Thanks in advance

A+ 2.5.2 has the best sound ever from the official releases, almost the same as beta 2.5.0.11.

Track transfer from hard drive to the memory is very slow, most of the time A+ stops play waiting the transfer! First crash has log and debug here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f9za23y5f6an91/Audirvana%202.5.2%201st.%20Crash.rtf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68fqh30kfq75vfc/Audirvana%202.5.2%201st.%20Debug.rtf?dl=0

I changed filter max lenght from 1,265,000 to 2,000,000 reduces the glitches but doesn't stop!

I used ram buffer from 2.048MB to 12.288MB and sometimes is impossible listen to music...

In such cases that did occur for me at the early beginning of my journey with A+, solution has been to do the exact contrary of what you've done.

The solution that solved my issue has been:

1- decrease the filter lenght to something between 500000 et 1000000

2- decrease the ram buffer to 1mb (this was a clever advice from Damien at the moment)

If you use some AU plugins, try to deactivate or to choose another one since it is very often that processor or memory might suffered too much from these ones.

Check also what kind of upsampling you've set... Sometimes, less is better...

One other idea might be to reset all A+ Standard parameters, and to make your desired improvements step by step till you face again the issue. Then you will understand what is behind.

My 2 cents just in case ;)

Imac 27" I5 8Go - El Capitan - Audirvana 2.6.3 & Audirvana Remote - Airfoil 5.1.0 - Streamer/DAC Marantz M CR510 - HiFi Cable Super MaxiTrans 2 - B&W 602 S2

New to higher end audio and just learning a lot from this forum as well as on HeadFi.

Just downloaded the latest trial version of Audirvana+ and bought the remote app as well. iTunes has been my music player. My source is a late 2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM and connecting via USB (speaker out) -> Woo Audio WDS-1 DAC -> Woo Audio WA5-LE headphone amp -> HiFiMan HE1000 headphones.

I am playing with the Audirvana+ sampling rates and I find that no up sampling sounds better to me. Is the general consensus that up sampling does improve quality? If so I will do another comparison and would one go max sampling, max power of 2 sampling or 2? I guess that since there are multiple choices, it would be to taste depending on your individual system. For me, up sampling seems to cause loss of sparkle, detail and presence of the music but I could be wrong.

How does the Audirvana+ integrated mode with iTunes change the sound? I tend to just on several A/B back and forth find the integrated mode to be a leaner sound whereas the Audirvana+ mode fleshes out the music more.

In such cases that did occur for me at the early beginning of my journey with A+, solution has been to do the exact contrary of what you've done.

The solution that solved my issue has been:

1- decrease the filter lenght to something between 500000 et 1000000

2- decrease the ram buffer to 1mb (this was a clever advice from Damien at the moment)

If you use some AU plugins, try to deactivate or to choose another one since it is very often that processor or memory might suffered too much from these ones.

Check also what kind of upsampling you've set... Sometimes, less is better...

One other idea might be to reset all A+ Standard parameters, and to make your desired improvements step by step till you face again the issue. Then you will understand what is behind.

My 2 cents just in case ;)

I can't explain, but today after a reboot it is playing fine with El Captain and Mavericks!

Well mine has been playing for the past 2-3 hours

Actually lost the time how long. Just been listening to music all afternoon :)

My god my system sounds good with this PCM to DSD

Also when my Mac mini fan came on, I put a damp paper towel on it for a while and been keeping the room around 22 c (72 F). Have not heard the fan for all afternoon.

Thank you Damien

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

seeing a few crashes here too. 2.5.2 build. I think mine are at times caused by Tidal timing out due to weak wireless signal.

Is there an easy way to increase time out to see if it helps alleviate this? I cant run hard wired to my 2 channel room so wireless is the only WAF accepted option.

I was also seeing my macair spit its USB link out with my MSB dac but traced this to my SO using the microwave and dryer. This is easily fixed by telling OSX to use the MSB audio device manually again which is then recognized by A+

New to higher end audio and just learning a lot from this forum as well as on HeadFi.

... Is the general consensus that up sampling does improve quality?

Nice rig you have there!

It took me a lot of time to find iZotope settings I liked. Remember that if you don't upsample in software, your DAC will (most likely).

There are many threads that discuss different options and the reasoning behind them - such as this long one: Izotope SRC

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/showthread.php?t=15352

You may also want to refer to he Audirvana user manual (see on A+ menu). Perhaps seek suggestions from folk with the same DAC?

How does the Audirvana+ integrated mode with iTunes change the sound? .

Best to do as you've done: listen and compare for yourself. If you are able to navigate your library in stand-alone mode, then you will likely enjoy the better sound.

But if you are enjoying the sound you get without software upsampling, you may not want to worry about it... just sit back and let the great music wash over you [emoji846]

Synology NAS DS216SE + TF cards -> GentooPlayer in RAM on mini fanless/supercap NUC -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub Hifiman HE560

Suddenly i find that upsampling to DSD do not work anymore. when i hit that option o only get low sound with white noise.

This used to work before.

Using Matrix X-sabre dac

Something is interfering with the DoP stream. It could be a digital volume control or resampling done by the OS.

Something is interfering with the DoP stream. It could be a digital volume control or resampling done by the OS.

Its working now. Had to change to digital sound output signal to my receiver in DVD sound settings.

All good now but thats strange?

I am playing with the Audirvana+ sampling rates and I find that no up sampling sounds better to me. Is the general consensus that up sampling does improve quality? If so I will do another comparison and would one go max sampling, max power of 2 sampling or 2? I guess that since there are multiple choices, it would be to taste depending on your individual system. For me, up sampling seems to cause loss of sparkle, detail and presence of the music but I could be wrong.

I nearly drove myself batty with comparisons the other night. My system is a late 2014 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM running A+ connecting via USB -> Rega DAC-R -> Audio Research SP 20 -> Audio Research Ref 75se -> ProAc D30R speakers. I exhausted myself to the point I couldn't hear anything.

There were moments, just glimpses, really, I experienced what you described as spatial accuracy and dimensuonality. Timbre and tone always seemed the same.

A local musician friend told me to listen to a certain configuration for hours or even days before switching and try to listen to the whole presentation, not specific corners.

It seems in general most CA users favor some kind of software-based upsampling, especially with NOS DACs like mine.

Hi, I use Audirvana + into a Chord Hugo as part of my main rig. Occasionally I use the Hugo to drive my headphones with the Supernait 2 muted and I have A+ set to control the volume which has worked perfectly, however, with A+ set to up sample to DSD the remote volume in both the remote control and in the app no longer work i.e. I turn the volume down but the Hugo outputs at its own volume. Turning off upsampling gets everything working as usual. Not a huge problem as I don't listen to headphones often but anyone got any ideas what is going on?

I don't believe software volume control is available with A+ for DSD files. I'll try to find confirmation of that.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Software volume control for DSD isn't possible.

At least not without a conversion somewhere.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen -> USPCB -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

At least not without a conversion somewhere.

Sure, you can filter and remodulate. There are some shortcuts possible, but it's still far more complex than a PCM volume control.

Software volume control for DSD isn't possible.

Presumably though a DAC that supports USB HID volume control will still have that function able to work with a DSD stream? My pet subject.... I don't understand why many manufacturers don't implement it when the chips used support it, it makes so much sense.

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer