IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.5.1 with PCM->DSD Conversion

Jud

I had an issue

Running 2.5.1.6

PCM to DSD 128, A0 filter

Song: Cassandra Wilson

Track: You Don't Know What Love Is

Album: Blue Light 'Til Dawn (what an SQ on the album)

At around 3:45 I hear a duplicate of what was played agin for about 5 second. Now I can not replicate it after stopping the play

The track is played from Tidal

Also it still clicks just before the song starts after stopping

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

I had an issue

Running 2.5.1.6

PCM to DSD 128, A0 filter

Song: Cassandra Wilson

Track: You Don't Know What Love Is

Album: Blue Light 'Til Dawn (what an SQ on the album)

At around 3:45 I hear a duplicate of what was played agin for about 5 second. Now I can not replicate it after stopping the play

The track is played from Tidal

Also it still clicks just before the song starts after stopping

Happened agin, same album, song Hellhound On My Trail

Changed to A1 filter to see if the issue goes away.

Will provide feedback

2 Channel: Mac mini with Audirvana + & A+ Remote -> Netgear AC170 -> microRendu -> Chord Mojo -> oppo HA-1 -> Arcam  P49 -> B&W 804 D3

5 Channel: Apple TV/Sony XBR-65A9G -> Rotel RSP-1098 -> oppo HA-1 (bypass) -> Arcam P49 -> B&W 804 D3 (L/R), Arcam P349 -> B&W 804 D3 (C), B&W 805 D3 (RR/LR)

Just released 2.5.2 that brings the fixes made when switching tracks while upsampling from PCM to DSD

Added from 2.5.1.6, it also automatically resets the SDM filter in case of an issue due to hard clipping in a too loud track (and where the safe volume reduction is not enough. Note that -3dB should be enough).

And all this with an ounce of sound quality optimization :)

Damien

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Ah, how's it feel to be on the other side? :)

Other side? The audible differences I've noticed are due to intermodulation distortion from the high-frequency noise in the analogue section. The digital filters in the ESS DACs simply remove that noise. There's nothing controversial here.

Other side? The audible differences I've noticed are due to intermodulation distortion from the high-frequency noise in the analogue section. The digital filters in the ESS DACs simply remove that noise. There's nothing controversial here.

I meant knowing the audio engineering side of something, and seeing someone who doesn't have that specific knowledge declare it is a case of the emperor having no clothes.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

a guy, in a town he doesn't know, sees two men and asks for directions to a given place.

turn right and go straight ahead, says the first one.

take left then go straight, says the second.

both are audiophiles

:P

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I meant knowing the audio engineering side of something, and seeing someone who doesn't have that specific knowledge declare it is a case of the emperor having no clothes.

Jud, I normally enjoy your insightful and well expressed posts but I guess I need to defend my comment here. I'll be the first to acknowledge that I have no interest in engineering. My interest in audio is almost entirely derived through my passion for music. I could care less about sine wave measurements and all the rest of the theory that clearly fascinates many people (and, to be clear, I have no problem with this. Whatever turns you on...) However, to continue my metaphorical outburst on the subject of tweaking filters, I don't believe you need to be a preeminent fashion designer or seamstress to have a valid opinion about clothing. I fully accept the 'YMMV' caveat that my opinion is very much a function of my entire audio system, and in particular my DAC. Other people may indeed find it rewarding to adjust and fine tune their filters to suit their tastes. All power to them and thank God they have the opportunity to do so - it is indeed a harmless pursuit. Once again, my apologies for my insensitive remark, which was intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

Just released 2.5.2 that brings the fixes made when switching tracks while upsampling from PCM to DSD

Added from 2.5.1.6, it also automatically resets the SDM filter in case of an issue due to hard clipping in a too loud track (and where the safe volume reduction is not enough. Note that -3dB should be enough).

[…]

Damien

I've noticed that the Safe Volume Reduction feature is still selectable when just using PCM upsampling. Is it active for PCM upsampling too or is it just a flaw in the GUI?

"It is commonly accepted amongst authentic libertines that the sensations communicated by the organs of hearing are the most flattering and those impressions are the liveliest" (Donatien Alphonse François de Sade)

And all this with an ounce of sound quality optimization :)

Damien

Very nice Damien, loving the sound of this release

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

Jud, I normally enjoy your insightful and well expressed posts but I guess I need to defend my comment here. I'll be the first to acknowledge that I have no interest in engineering. My interest in audio is almost entirely derived through my passion for music. I could care less about sine wave measurements and all the rest of the theory that clearly fascinates many people (and, to be clear, I have no problem with this. Whatever turns you on...) However, to continue my metaphorical outburst on the subject of tweaking filters, I don't believe you need to be a preeminent fashion designer or seamstress to have a valid opinion about clothing. I fully accept the 'YMMV' caveat that my opinion is very much a function of my entire audio system, and in particular my DAC. Other people may indeed find it rewarding to adjust and fine tune their filters to suit their tastes. All power to them and thank God they have the opportunity to do so - it is indeed a harmless pursuit. Once again, my apologies for my insensitive remark, which was intended to be somewhat tongue in cheek.

It's I who must apologize for making you feel defensive.

To move the discussion forward: I absolutely agree one doesn't need a degree to have a valid opinion about what sounds good. In fact, since there is no such thing as a perfect filter, preference is ultimately the only guide. To what degree we can hear differences between different filters is a complex subject having to do with different systems and variability among people as to both what they're most sensitive to and what sounds "real" to them.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I guess that makes me God.

He was talking about the iZotope filtering, so Alexey is God and you are at most a minor archangel.

;)

Are you saying audiophilism is monotheistic?

If that were true, wouldn't the magazine be named "Monophile"?

I guess that makes me God.

Haha - credit where it's due :-)

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

If that were true, wouldn't the magazine be named "Monophile"?

LOL...you guys are hilarious!

LOL

LOL

LOL

and I am still at work

better log off.

Yes, I agree! I am upsampling PCM -> PCM, and I noticed a wonderful improvement in V2.5.2.

Thank you Damien.

+2

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

Sometimes this happen...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26688[/ATTACH]

If you mean music stalls or you hear white noise three seconds from the end of a track, thats been a long standing glitch or me for well over a year with A+.

It used to happen more often. Glitch happens more often on the 2010 mini when I'm using Splashtop/taxing it with other apps... but happens just playing music too. Lowering the A+ ram buffer reduces the issue, but doesn't stop it for me.

(Perhaps trimming El Capitan down with some CAD-like scripts may have made it worse)

Thanks Damien for the new release!

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

A+ 2.5.2 has the best sound ever from the official releases, almost the same as beta 2.5.0.11.

Track transfer from hard drive to the memory is very slow, most of the time A+ stops play waiting the transfer! First crash has log and debug here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f9za23y5f6an91/Audirvana%202.5.2%201st.%20Crash.rtf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68fqh30kfq75vfc/Audirvana%202.5.2%201st.%20Debug.rtf?dl=0

I changed filter max lenght from 1,265,000 to 2,000,000 reduces the glitches but doesn't stop!

I used ram buffer from 2.048MB to 12.288MB and sometimes is impossible listen to music...