IGNORED

Article: Sonore microRendu Review, Part 1

I was going to do a fairly long post about how awesome the microRendu/sonicTransporter combo is (which it indeed is) but why bother. This and many other CA threads have become polluted with side arguments and other typical troll behavior to the point where it bears no resemblance to the topic at hand. There seems to be a desire to argue for the sake of arguing and it makes it very difficult to extract any useful info. Who really wants to sift through hundreds of posts when most are long diatribes and many are off topic in pursuit of something about the product.

Chris, Please get this under control. Other websites and forums are taking a much more aggressive posture and it has made them much more civil and useful.

So where is your long post?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Long post, well fairly long.

I have had the microRendu for a week now and the sonicTransporter for several days. The first and most striking thing that I realized was that these items work right out of box. I have messed around with Windows computers for audio for years and as Ted B said " ... Plug and Pray...". To get the level of performance this combination offers is certainly possible with multi-purpose computers but it is not easy or reliable. You wind up using optimizer programs, tuning programs and other various hacks and crutches none of which are designed to work together and they frequently do not. This is a hardware/software combo designed for music only and it works.

The sound quality is on par with anything that I was ever able to achieve using Windows computers. I will say that I never spent a lot of money on the hardware as some have but even if I had it would not be fair comparison as this two computer solution is only just over $1,000 depending on the power supply for the microRendu. The sound quality is very full and robust with an organic flow that is very seductive.

The software is simple to use and very intuitive. I am sure that there are bugs but for what I have used so far it just works. I have completely gotten away from the home library approach and only stream FLAC so I use the LMS 7.9 module (with the ickStream platform installed) on the sonicTransporter and the Squeezelite output mode on the microRendu. With this setup I can stream FLAC from Tidal, Deezer Elite or Qobuz (I have had all three).

For me this product combination is a dream come true as I was getting very tired of struggling with the Windows ecosystem just to play music. It always seemed like disaster lurked at every update. Music is an afterthought for MS and Windows has become very bloated and even more difficult to make work well as a music platform.

I await the next installment on the microRendu but these are my impressions for now.

Sorry for the outburst Chris.

Long post, well fairly long.

I have had the microRendu for a week now and the sonicTransporter for several days. The first and most striking thing that I realized was that these items work right out of box. I have messed around with Windows computers for audio for years and as Ted B said " ... Plug and Pray...". To get the level of performance this combination offers is certainly possible with multi-purpose computers but it is not easy or reliable. You wind up using optimizer programs, tuning programs and other various hacks and crutches none of which are designed to work together and they frequently do not. This is a hardware/software combo designed for music only and it works.

The sound quality is on par with anything that I was ever able to achieve using Windows computers. I will say that I never spent a lot of money on the hardware as some have but even if I had it would not be fair comparison as this two computer solution is only just over $1,000 depending on the power supply for the microRendu. The sound quality is very full and robust with an organic flow that is very seductive.

The software is simple to use and very intuitive. I am sure that there are bugs but for what I have used so far it just works. I have completely gotten away from the home library approach and only stream FLAC so I use the LMS 7.9 module (with the ickStream platform installed) on the sonicTransporter and the Squeezelite output mode on the microRendu. With this setup I can stream FLAC from Tidal, Deezer Elite or Qobuz (I have had all three).

For me this product combination is a dream come true as I was getting very tired of struggling with the Windows ecosystem just to play music. It always seemed like disaster lurked at every update. Music is an afterthought for MS and Windows has become very bloated and even more difficult to make work well as a music platform.

I await the next installment on the microRendu but these are my impressions for now.

Sorry for the outburst Chris.

If only I could upsample to DSD, the SonicTransporter would have been on my list. That thing looks sooooo sweet and a great solution!!!

If only I could upsample to DSD, the SonicTransporter would have been on my list. That thing looks sooooo sweet and a great solution!!!

SMG has several more powerful versions of this type of appliance that may be able to run the upsampler. If they get enough requests maybe they will add HQ Player to the software suite of sonicOrbiter for those machines that can handle the load. It is worth a try to ask.

Also, there was some discussion on the Sonore sponsored thread about how to do this using another machine for the upsample but still using the sonicTransporter as the server. Check over there or email Jesus directly and I am sure they will help you get this figured out.

For me this was not an issue as my DAC (ML 390s processor) internally upsamples 44.1/16 to 352.8/24 before conversion and that is all I need for now. When I replace this DAC, I will be looking for the same solution so good luck.

SMG has several more powerful versions of this type of appliance that may be able to run the upsampler. If they get enough requests maybe they will add HQ Player to the software suite of sonicOrbiter for those machines that can handle the load. It is worth a try to ask.

Also, there was some discussion on the Sonore sponsored thread about how to do this using another machine for the upsample but still using the sonicTransporter as the server. Check over there or email Jesus directly and I am sure they will help you get this figured out.

Both of these possible options for incorporating HQ Player are very interesting to me.

For me this was not an issue as my DAC (ML 390s processor) internally upsamples 44.1/16 to 352.8/24 before conversion and that is all I need for now. When I replace this DAC, I will be looking for the same solution so good luck.

Thanks for the response! I'll check it out for sure!

A paragraph of what Chris un-redacted in his Part 1 review stated:

"The carrier board features a very low jitter oscillator that feeds the hub chip, PLL, and clock network that has anything to do with the USB subsystem. The other on-chip oscillator is used to drive the processor and memory. This is where the software customization comes into play. The design team was able to shut off the processor module's internal oscillator circuit and externally clock the chip from the much better oscillators on the carrier board. Just like externally clocking a DAC, Sonore changed the reference clock of the PLLs to point to the external clock that's fed with the low jitter main clock."

Before the MicroRendu was released, John brought a preproduction unit to my place. We listened for a bit and then he loaded the code (possibly for the first time, I don't know) that he had written for what he referred to as "clock injection," as described above.

I am here to tell you, that code change, which made the external clock the master, made a HUGE difference! It was really quite shocking, and what vaulted the MicroRendu past my very tweaked Mac mini/JS-2/MMK/REGEN set up. And then he further adjusted the core code to turn off some video subsystem PLLs, and that made a small but noticeable difference as well.

This sort of optimization--and this "clock injection"--plus all the separate linear regulation of the power supplies, is why I think it is near impossible for a general-purpose computer motherboard to surpass what this tiny marvel is doing musically.

BTW, I finally got one for myself... :) :)

Yes. I just wrapped up my west coast trip tonight and will return to Minnesota tomorrow. Will finish the review soon.

I was able to listen to the microRendu on an extremely high end system over the last three days. Wow this thing is good.

And that's what we like to hear!

Hi John, well the bottom line is how do all of these systems sound in comparison to one another. So with the Bryston unit about to ship, I'd be interested in any group of people who could compare the sound of the microRendu, the BD-Pi, and an off the shelf Raspberry Pi 3 with a $10 power supply.

My bias is that with any good asynchronous USB DAC they would all sound exactly the same, but I'd welcome any data points that showed otherwise.

Ones inability to determine the difference between mediocre and fine wine doesn't mean the difference doesn't exist and isn't discernible by others... it just means that your cost to enjoy how you practice the hobby will be far less. Likewise with audio. However I recommend you avoid audio reviewers and their systems... else you may be inescapably educated and thrust gasping into a far more expensive plateau for audio enjoyment :<)

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Any feedback from Aries owners... how does the Microrendu compare?

I've posted my impressions in the other threads.

Others disagree but it is not close in my system, with the microRendu besting the Aries - and the microRendu taking further lead when in Roon/HQPlayer NAA mode.

For me what makes the microRendu a clear winner is the clarity due to reduction of noise, glare and hardness. It could be that my ears are more sensitive to this kind of noise, or that my system was giving that noise more prominence. Net result is a stunning level of improvement with the microRendu and the ability to enjoy many formerly harsh sounding recordings. Better recording sound simply sublime.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't this device, pretty much identical to the SOTM SMS-100?

I don't doubt that improvements have been made, but it seems to be identical in its intended purpose.

Ethernet in, USB out.... Even using SGC software for the OS.

Maybe I am missing something. Is it just smaller?

Any feedback from Aries owners... how does the Microrendu compare?

I may be a contrarian, but so far I prefer the sound I'm getting from my (optimized) Auralic Aries.

I will continue to use and work with the Sonic Transporter>mRendu setup. I'm looking into incorporating HQPlayer into the Roon mode implementation before I make any permanent decision.

I don't doubt that improvements have been made, but it seems to be identical in its intended purpose.

You are missing a lot...read the review here on ca...

SMS-100 is off the shelf board. Nothing special. Not designed for audio. A board in a box.

Functionally the 2 devices are similar.

microRendu is specifically designed as low noise device for audio.

As SMS-100 owner, I can assure you mR is superior sounding. It also has a couple of nice added features: it boots up in a fraction of the time of SMS_100, and is Roon Ready. SMS-100 is discontinued and won't have any features added to OS.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Ones inability to determine the difference between mediocre and fine wine doesn't mean the difference doesn't exist and isn't discernible by others... it just means that your cost to enjoy how you practice the hobby will be far less. Likewise with audio. However I recommend you avoid audio reviewers and their systems... else you may be inescapably educated and thrust gasping into a far more expensive plateau for audio enjoyment :<)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

I have no concerns regarding being inescapably educated by audio reviewers. Most do not write what I would consider to be educational or informative reviews. Instead, they provide an efficient marketing channel for their advertisers and continue to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt to gullible individuals, which in turn enables AudioQuest to sell $1000 Ethernet cables and Shunyata Research to sell the same fools $1000 power cords.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judgment_of_Paris_(wine)

I have no concerns regarding being inescapably educated by audio reviewers. Most do not write what I would consider to be educational or informative reviews. Instead, they provide an efficient marketing channel for their advertisers and continue to spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt to gullible individuals, which in turn enables AudioQuest to sell $1000 Ethernet cables and Shunyata Research to sell the same fools $1000 power cords.

Calling someone gullible and a fool for purchasing something they want to purchase is quite strange to me. It suggests that you don't really know what your talking about and really don't have friends in this hobby who've purchased such goods. I know plenty of people who you would label as gullible and fools, who are neither gullible nor fools. In fact they run some pretty incredible companies and are some of the smartest people I know.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png