IGNORED

Article: Sonore microRendu Review, Part 1

Note that the µRendu, with a really excellent power supply (such as the Sonore Signature Supply designed specifically for it) still retails at around $2K total, and will beat out most (if not all) custom music servers, including ones at much higher price points (I am talking about $10K devices here). With the µRendu you can scale performance to your budget, it will perform quite well with more affordable supplies, but when you are ready to step up to top level performance, you can then add a top level supply to achieve that.

How does the bump in performance compare to putting that $2k into a better DAC or maybe better cabling? I know that's not the easiest question to answer, just trying to get a sense of the relative importance of a better supply. And maybe a sense too as to where diminishing returns will set in.

Is there any way you can provide a sense of the magnitude of difference between using the iFi supply vs the $2k supply?

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

There's no way to answer that question to make it relevant to you and your system.

Hearing how much a better supply matters in other systems can certainly be instructive.

A good example is that Curious REGEN link vs the hard adapter. The folks who compared these largely came away with the same impression about benefits and value as did I. Likewise the REGEN itself and powering it with a better supply.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 2 weeks later...
Another twist would be that some people out there actually do not want new COTS gear to arrive at the market competing with the gear they have built themselves?

This is not uncommon. A couple friends invested both time and dollars in DIY cables and power cords. They were the most resistant to trying the OTS items the rest of us were raving about. They came around eventually.

There is a weakness in the story of all these USB devices (and I also own them): not a single manufacturer has published measurements showing that the output from his device is superior to the output without it.

I also subscribe to the "only trust my ears" argument, because in the end, even if I'm fooling myself, I enjoy listening more with the device installed.

But it would be nice if someone could actually show improvement that these devices bring.

But would sales increase if they published measurements? I think not.

There's obviously enough business to be had amongst those who don't really need measurements to convince them to buy. A smart company is going to apply scarce resources to where they are most needed (supporting existing customers, developing new products, bringing in new customers).

I've found that most (but not all) of those seeking measurements aren't easily satisfied. As soon as measurements are shown, they make it their mission to discredit those measurements. "Where's the proof that can be heard in a controlled blind test", they'll ask. Why would a company waste precious resources trying to satisfy such people when they could instead be applying those resources to taking even better care of their actual customers?

A company also has to be mindful of their competition. A company that publishes measurements could actually end up giving away their competitive advantage and killing their own sales.

Just my two cents.

l

To my taste, the mR sounded better. The only words I can describe it with are that the direct to PC playback had what I'd call sort of a "hollowness" - it was more upfront, but not as solid. The mR sound was a bit more recessed, but had more "solidity". To my taste, plus for the mR. That may mean the mR sounds better, or that it is adding some kind of pleasant distortion. Doesn't matter to me.

Well said. I hear this too. My take is that there is some kind of noise present that creates that hollow sound. Strip that away and you end up with greater solidity and coherence. I heard the Aries do this relative to a Mac. And I now hear the microRendu doing this relative to the Aries.

• 3 weeks later...
Any feedback from Aries owners... how does the Microrendu compare?

I've posted my impressions in the other threads.

Others disagree but it is not close in my system, with the microRendu besting the Aries - and the microRendu taking further lead when in Roon/HQPlayer NAA mode.

For me what makes the microRendu a clear winner is the clarity due to reduction of noise, glare and hardness. It could be that my ears are more sensitive to this kind of noise, or that my system was giving that noise more prominence. Net result is a stunning level of improvement with the microRendu and the ability to enjoy many formerly harsh sounding recordings. Better recording sound simply sublime.