IGNORED

Article: Sonore microRendu Review, Part 1

What a teaser, Chris.Thanks a lot!

Please get some details about the use of the microRendu with an external USB/SPDIF - I know it's not the primary case, but connection to USB seems to be a non issue.

It would also be nice to have a power supply who could easily power both the microRendu and the converter - I will further investigate this idea.

I am seriously thinking in changing my current streamer (sneaky ds to move to a secondary system) but I must ensure there will be a moving forward an not a side move.

Good technique, it seems a lot cheaper now ;)

So the price of the combination reviewed was in fact $2,048. (I would have corrected my original post but that's not possible now.)

That this combo at circa $2K can 'better' an Aurender W20, as one example, is pretty incredible.

Looking forward to the part II and Chris' more detailed listening impressions.

I would love to see reviews of microRendu with power supplies at different price points.

For example:

entry level (kind of iFi iPower)

mid-level (eg. Sotm battery supply)

Top-level.

I am believer that it's the analog (and power) part that makes digital components sound great...

What kind of sonic attributes are changed by upgrading the power supply?

Thanks.

I wonder how it will compare with the more "mainstream" products like the Aurenders? Or even a Weiss MAN301? Are those products overkill compared to the uRendu?

I think they fulfill partly different needs. Aurender have local storage, and the Weiss can also rip.

Hi Chris, I should have been clearer in my Medium posting when saying "most" of these publications. I like Inner Fidelity, trust Audioholics, and would not place this blog in the commercial category of AudioStream/Stereophile/TAS/ etc. That's why I decided to do a post here and see what happened. :)

Glad to see you clearing the air. After all, if you are here in CA writing such lengthy post I think that your motivation is not only to share your view of things but also to learn something more...

That said, as I mentioned in my post, I do believe AudioStream/TAS and others are not much more than an advertising vehicle for the high end audio industry, and purposely mislead their readers with FUD to prop up the the demand for $1000 ethernet cables.

I certainly relate to your general skepticism.

Just note this. If you have not heard a component, you cannot have an opinion about that component...

Even if you heard in your system, the same component will behave differently in another system.

In my system a cable made no difference. In another system, with far mode superior resolution, it made clear

Do I remain skeptical about cables...I would say in my system, yes...

Be open to relativism.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
Isn't this device, pretty much identical to the SOTM SMS-100?

I don't doubt that improvements have been made, but it seems to be identical in its intended purpose.

Ethernet in, USB out.... Even using SGC software for the OS.

Maybe I am missing something. Is it just smaller?

You are missing a lot...read the review here on ca...