IGNORED

Article: Sonore microRendu Review, Part 1

Typo, actual price of the Signature Power Supply is $1399.00, and combo deals may be available. This supply is in a beautiful custom made in the USA chassis, and comes with a very nice custom made (by Cardas) DC cable. This level of parts quality adds up quickly. Additionally, the supply is designed to offer the best performance possible, using a custom made discrete regulator circuit, for the µRendu. Considering the much higher cost of products which can compete at the same sound quality level, the combined price is totally reasonable.

Leaving the cost behind for a second (though its as important), could you provide some insight as to why not use a Uptone JS-2 with microRendu rather than the Sonore ? The JS-2 has an additional flexible output, choke-filtered and has greater amperage. What does the JS-2 lack that Sonore Signature provides to power the microRendu ? I am just trying to understand the two supplies better tailored to my current and future needs.

Additionally, suggesting that reviewers should review multiple supplies and rank them, etc, is really putting the reviewer in a tough position. Just sourcing these multiple supplies would be very time consuming (consider how many possible supply options are already discussed in this thread alone), and audio reviewing is taxing enough as it is. The most I would expect to see from a review would be a comparison between a very simple option like iFi, and a more sophisticated one like the Sonore Signature. It is pretty much impossible to make a complete purchase decision based on reviews anyway.

I agree that there are too many power supplies in the market to do meaningful reviews. At the price of Sonore PS, it should a no brainier comparing with a $50 ifi PS. However, I would really love to see someone doing a comparison between three power supplies

a) low priced like ifi at $50

b) mid price in the range of $400-$500 and maybe the upcoming Uptone MPS designed by John S will fit this category nicely. If its not available anytime soon, then maybe one from hdplex or teradak.

c) high price, like the Sonore Signature or Uptone JS-2

• 3 weeks later...