IGNORED

Article: Sonore microRendu Review, Part 1

Any posibility to have Tidal played through this device? My DAC had only one USB input.

Yes, in Roon mode it will play Tidal as any Roon endpoint would. In UPnP mode (as renderer) it will play Tidal via several control points like BubbleUPnP (Android) or Kazoo (iPad, Windows, etc).

Chris -- Thanks for this. I like your appliance moniker. How does the microRendu differ from a "renderer"? JCR

Ethernet renderer is one or more of the microRendu's functions (UPnP, Mpd, etc).

All these questions, including best power supplies (requires 6-9V at minimum 1 Amp), etc are on the Sonore microRendu threads here on CA.

Mike, I assume you have all this into a wireless router (otherwise what does your ipad see?). You'll need music serving software (like Minimserver on your NAS) and a some free music browsing software on your ipad (called a control point in UPnP language) like Kazoo or other UPnP clients. No need to buy anything like JRIver or Roon if you are fine with loading free Minimserver on your NAS and a free iPad app. The microRednu sees Minimserver (once Minimserver loads and catalogs your NAS music and you tell microRendu to be in UPnP renderer mode), and grabs whatever music your ipad-based music browsing remote tells it to. The microRendu sends that music, via USB, to your DAC.

The microRendu HARDWARE could care less about how many channels are in use, that is purely an issue of software.

I'm pretty sure that MPD can handle multi-cahannel. You will need a multi-channel USB DAC of course AND ALSA (the Linux sound system) will have to see it as a multi-channel device. You can use the DAC Diagnostics page on the microRendu web page to see if the DAC plugged into the microRendu has more than two channels.

I don't think anybody has actually tried this yet, but it should work.

John S.

Yes, John I play large file DSD multichannel (into exaSound e28) just fine with MpD or even UPnP (Kazoo), as well as NAA mode, using exaSound's Playpoint, and reported on it in my review. Good to know you think this should be no different from a functional standpoint.

What do you mean?

He means you didn't mention HQPlayer NAA mode in your part 1 review. Many of us will be evaluating the uRendu as an NAA (as well as an OpenHome ethernet renderer, Mpd client, etc).

So I assume Roon can be used with HQ player with this device? I see Roon and HQ player as outputs but can they both work together.

The uRendu is an endpoint for these (if you allow me to call HQP NAA an endpoint). You need to put Roon and HQPlayer on a computer (or Roon on your NAS or SonicTransporter, and HQPlayer on a pc, for example).

Skikirkwood, no that is YOUR bottom line. Have fun comparing those and let us know. I, myself, have already been through enough poor USB implementations to completely understand the specific focus of the uRendu project. But since you do not have that experience, and assume bits are bits, then I understand your need for comparisons. And it's nice to hear your plans to commit to your ideas. Please let us know what you find.

With a few days of the uRendu inhouse it certainly has a sound quality that utterly redefines what a $600 appliance should be able to do, let alone it's multiple modes/feature-sets. And I would bet that it most improves systems that, unbeknownst to the user, have poor USB signal integrity, be it an average USB ansynch DAC or a previous pedestrian design from the source. USB was never considered to be the best choice for a DAC interface, but has become ubiquitous. It's nice that companies like Sonore and Uptone have decided to tackle that aspect of computer audio gremlin DNA.

Flame on Ted!

Huh? I simply wanted to say that it seems unfair to come on here and disparage a product you have no experience with, then conclude that the bottom line is to ask a group of people to invest their time and money to compare products and let you know, so you can prove your own point. Get some skin in the game! You clearly wouldn't believe their feedback anyway. You haven't believed ours. Which is your right.