IGNORED

Article: Sonore microRendu Review, Part 1

Cool start for a review. I really think this is the first audiophile computer motherboard.

Noticed a couple of typos/omissions: 'lessor' and 'the sensitive with he'

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

That was my guess. But it's a bit premature to complain that I haven't used one's software, when the review is half way finished.

Could be added as a point (currently 5 of them) in the "What is the microrendu" section.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

• 2 weeks later...
Your approach will not achieve anywhere near the sound quality of the µRendu into a DAC via USB. A better approach to utilizing a small MoBo unit like Raspi or BeagleBone Black (better) is to add external clocking/reclocking with isolation. The masterclock provided directly on these boards is very high in jitter, and the board itself produces so much noise that getting a good clock onboard would be nearly impossible. you can get very good performance out of such an approach, but only with a more sophisticated implementation and more parts.

the discussion of how to do this better is interesting, but very OT for this thread.

He would still be using a general-purpose computer rather than one designed end-to-end for the best SQ.

The way I use it, 100% DLNA, the Pi is no different and certainly no less than the likes of Auralic (both), a PC, Mac Mini, or even a NAS.

How is the inevitable crunch in bandwidth because of the combined Ethernet/USB controller in the Raspi no different than Auralic, a PC, Mac Mini, especially for high-rate DSD?

Even a general purpose - and even a multi purpose PC - while its multi tasking would sound the same when running DLNA for audio

It never will sound the same as a motherboard, a set of components, interfaces and power distribution designed from the ground up to do one thing and one thing really well: computer for the best SQ.

This device is not in the same league as a general-purpose SBC at all. One is a Lamborghini Countach, the other is a Lada. Both can make you travel from point A to B faster than by foot and you can sure work on a Lada to improve it...

It would also help with forums like WBF

I think we can forget about that for a while until things settle there (check my thread on the microrendu there to see what I mean...).

I believe some independent measurements with eye pattern were posted on the pinkfishmedia forum by another John (unless it was that other forum with an animal name like hifipig?, memory fails).

The Raspberry Pi 3's wireless LAN does not share the USB bus, so its perfectly alright to use USB/ethernet to connect to an external HDD or NAS and use WiFi for streaming.

Wireless is usually unbelievably noisy...