IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 8:56 PM, Ryan Berry said:

Hey All,

Happy to give an update on the USB section of the QX-5!  We've now finished development of the new USB section, which should allow the QX-5 to handle PCM up to 768 PCM and DSD Native up to 512 or 256 DoP.  We're finalizing what we can really squeeze out of the new design, but these are the numbers that are looking to be pretty locked in so far.  Ariel goes a bit more in depth into the changes in our latest Pints With Ayre video that we're releasing this week.  We've received the boards in now and are working on getting everything populated and the final firmware completed.  Next, Ethernet.

Cheers,

Ryan

Great to see updates on the qx-5! Very keen to hear about ethernet improvements when they come. I mainly use that input path in my setup

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 4:15 AM, loudog said:

so when will the updates be available??

I'm not sure. As far as I know they're finalizing the software, and the module will become available in June. I hope so, at least, I've ordered one. Very curious what it will do to the SQ of the QX-5, of course, but also what kind of impact my PhoenixUSB still will (or will not) have. 

As an update directly from us: the first batch of PCBs are complete and the production run is being ran presently.  We should have those boards within the next week if they remain on schedule, though with how the world is right now, I'd give them two weeks to be safe.  Code....well, that's another matter.  In the process of reviewing the code, Ariel's found a LOT of improvements we can make to the firmware design which had us effectively strip the code back down to its basics and rebuild it from scratch.  The end result should be a product that is even better than before, both for the USB 2 owners as well as any other QX-5 out in the world.  The tradeoff is that it pushed things back a lot more than we expected getting into this.  I'm very optimistic that the improvements will be worth the wait, but between the crazy world of semiconductor purchasing right now along with firmware surprises, it was definitely longer than I had expected.  Apologies for the delays; we'll make it worth the wait.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

On 5/28/2021 at 5:34 PM, Ryan Berry said:

As an update directly from us: the first batch of PCBs are complete and the production run is being ran presently.  We should have those boards within the next week if they remain on schedule, though with how the world is right now, I'd give them two weeks to be safe.  Code....well, that's another matter.  In the process of reviewing the code, Ariel's found a LOT of improvements we can make to the firmware design which had us effectively strip the code back down to its basics and rebuild it from scratch.  The end result should be a product that is even better than before, both for the USB 2 owners as well as any other QX-5 out in the world.  The tradeoff is that it pushed things back a lot more than we expected getting into this.  I'm very optimistic that the improvements will be worth the wait, but between the crazy world of semiconductor purchasing right now along with firmware surprises, it was definitely longer than I had expected.  Apologies for the delays; we'll make it worth the wait.

So...  Does this mean that QB-9 Twenty owners might anticipate a download in our future?  😁

6 hours ago, CG said:

So...  Does this mean that QB-9 Twenty owners might anticipate a download in our future?  😁

Definitely not.  Mainly because the QB-9 Twenty was the predecessor to test all of this for the QX-5, so it already has it!

Cheers,

Ryan

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 11:34 PM, Ryan Berry said:

The tradeoff is that it pushed things back a lot more than we expected getting into this.  I'm very optimistic that the improvements will be worth the wait, but between the crazy world of semiconductor purchasing right now along with firmware surprises, it was definitely longer than I had expected.  Apologies for the delays; we'll make it worth the wait.

@Ryan BerryI've no doubt it will be worth the wait. I gather it won't be in June the module will be ready to ship out. Not to push anything - I'm in no way in a hurry - but any idea when it will become available? This summer, or not before fall? 

🍻

Cheers,

(in this case with a local IPA)

Marc

• 4 weeks later...