IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

I found a picture of the QX-5.

Not surprisingly, it appears to be the same chassis as the KX-5. Pretty interesting that they're gonna have "every conceivable digital input". I haven't wished for another input on my QB-9 a single time.

I would have used an ethernet port if had one.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

Just talked to Ayre here at the Munich show. The company has had a "beta" version of the ESS chip for a little while.

Also, this new DAC will be RoonReady and is quite a step up from the QB-9. This looks to be a real winner, at least on paper and based on my lengthy conversation with them today.

Any format specs? DSD128 limit like the Codex?

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Ok, so now I've spoke with someone who makes their own server using top grade parts and software etc... He can build in an A/D converter and put in an AES3 connection as it would most probably sound best with the Ayre. I have also spoken with Neal Van Berg who builds the Music Vault. I like his Diamond Ultra streamer/server. A close friend has one and swears by it. It has Roon built in, a blue ray ripper with dbpoweramp and a 2T or 4T WD Cloud for back up, an A/D converter to rip my albums and it can use an external clock if I ever want to go there. I've heard his older models and for the time, they were the best I had heard. He knows what he's doing and supports his products as good as anyone I know.

I'm still open, but these last two options seem to sound better than the Aurender N10 in USB form. I probably can't go wrong with either as the interface is nice and they are versatile. Has anyone heard the MV yet? I'd love impressions from others. Thanks.

I'd just purchase a reputable USB A/D converter instead of building one in. An RME or something similar.

thanks. I guess that could make sense. Just liked the idea of it being built right into the server/streamer. Dr Tone, what server do you use?

Virtual with iSCSI LUNS on my NAS for storage. I don't waste audiophile money at the server my expectation bias of it not making a difference saves me money.

Not sure if I understand. Are you saying that you don't feel a server make a difference? If so, have you ever auditioned various servers? Honestly, I've heard some bigger differences in servers than I have in turntable/arm/cartridges. I don't think I fully understand what your saying. Sorry. thanks

A server to me is no where near my audio equipment and only accessible through my network. I think server is a direct connected source to you?

yes, it's directly connected to the DAC. I take it your server is on the NAS and connected via the ethernet? I'm still learning about the digital side so that's why I say I don't understand. I've heard folks who use a server built into their NAS and I didn't like how it sounded at all. It was at a dealer who knew how to build things out. They are also a Wilson dealer and I hope no-one takes this the wrong way, Wilson's just aren't my kind of speaker, so that may have had something to do with it. It was all played through Ayre ref gear and I am an Ayre guy. I'm very familiar with Wilson's sound and I am very familiar with the Ayre ref gear too, but when we played the same tracks through an Aurender N10 all of us liked it better. Not sure if I'll understand your set up, but I need to ask so I can learn. thanks and please don't take my post on Wilson's or any of this as negative. Just not for me, that's all. :)

My back end server is more of a corporate type environment for redundancy, easy expansion, and cloud backups. It was never designed specifically for audio. No offense, I don't think I could explain it and have you ever understand it.

I have a dedicated windows 10 box with a sotm battery powered usb card feeding my dac. It's running roonbridge.

No offense take on the Wilsons different strokes for different folks, but trying to compare music sources "servers in your words" across completely different analog audio harware is something I wouldn't even bother doing for obvious reasons. There needs to be some common frame of reference on the analog side.

Well put and I totally agree. The nice thing is that I do understand the basics and understand lot's of what you are talking about. I have been speaking recently with a lot of Windows architects I guess you'd call them, so I am learning a lot. Soon I may even be able to put it together and figure out things even more. Are you saying in your last sentence that all digital will sound differently on whatever amps I'll be using? Not sure I understood, but thanks for sharing what you have. Lot's of cool stuff.

No I was saying it would be impossible to tell the difference between digital front ends if you don't keep the analogue back end constant. You can't tell the difference between the microRendu and a macmini when one is played through a Ayre and Wilsons and the other through McIntosh and Magico. Brands as an example only.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Newbie question.

If I have a microRendu which I purchased so that I could get Roon in my system, is it rendered useless if I go to the Ayre QX-5 20?

Yes. It's no longer needed.

• 5 weeks later...

Ctsooner, if you have a mini to run roon core or server I see no reason to purchase anything else as the QX-5 is roonready endpoint, the server will have little to no effect on sound quality in that situation. No need for different roonready endpoints either.

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, austinpop said:

Details in my sig. Insane or not, it has raised the SQ of my Codex and the system as a whole to an extent I had never dreamed possible. What is even more fascinating is that with this optimized digital chain, I am finding that the differences between DACs is much smaller.

I'm an Ayre DAC fan, I've had the QB-9 then upgraded it to the DSD version and then a Codex as well.  The Codex drawing USB power definately liked clean power and every little tweak helped it.  I found the QB-9 was almost immune to upstream USB changes, the same goes for my Mirus Pro that replaced the Codex.  I have a feeling the QX-5 would respond like the QB-9 and the QX-8 being bus powered again would be more tempermental to USB source.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Charles Hansen said:

I would recommend requesting that your dealer get one in to demonstrate. They typically respond to customer demand much more than the do to "badgering" from manufacturers. A dealer demo unit will typically be a "full monty" unit. Then you could bring your micro-Rendu in and compare for yourself.

Having a $12,000 CAD piece of kit laying around for demo isn't really an option for all dealers.  Calgary's economy is in a bad place right now with the state of the Oil industry.