IGNORED

Merging NADAC vs dCS Rossini

I was about to get a dCS Rossini, using it mostly as a LAN player, and now I discovered the NADAC.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the two? (I rather doubt it, as Merging appear to have one dealer per country, who is usually a pro outlet...)

(I'm a bit bewildered by the fact that the NADAC doesn't do any kind of upsampling to Redbook.)

I was about to get a dCS Rossini, using it mostly as a LAN player, and now I discovered the NADAC.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the two? (I rather doubt it, as Merging appear to have one dealer per country, who is usually a pro outlet...)

(I'm a bit bewildered by the fact that the NADAC doesn't do any kind of upsampling to Redbook.)

You can certainly upsample Redbook to DSD 256 on the NADAC with software like HQ Player and JRiver.

• 2 months later...

There are quite a few comparisons between NADAC and Rossini on whatsbestforum. Take the Search function and look for keywords "nadac" and "rossini". In most if not all cases the Rossini was superior.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

There are quite a few comparisons between NADAC and Rossini on whatsbestforum. Take the Search function and look for keywords "nadac" and "rossini". In most if not all cases the Rossini was superior.

Matt

Best to have a listen to both DACs and decide. I prefer the NADAC over the dCS DACs.

Don't know whether the Rossini comes in a mch version, the NADAC does - that's what I have. Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Don't know whether the Rossini comes in a mch version, the NADAC does - that's what I have. Larry

That is another key difference between the NADAC and the Rossini.

dCS used to make 8 Channel DACs with DSD back in the days when they sold Professional Market DACs as well as Consumer DACs. Now that they have left the Pro DAC market, their days of making 8 Channel DACs may have ended as well.

Since the NADAC MC-8 (Multichannel model) is only $1,000 more than the Stereo NADAC, I suspect most NADAC owners will get the MC-8 and have Multichannel DSD 256, etc. as well as Stereo DSD 256 - or the ability to use it in Multichannel mode later on.

Brian,

do you have any affiliation with Merging or other audio companies?

Matt

I don't work for Merging or other companies that make DACs. I do write for Postive Feedback and have mentioned the NADAC there - along with other DACs on the market.

For the first time ever, I have ordered a product without having a chance to audition it myself and compare it against known quantities. I have ordered an 8 channel NADAC.

The reason why is simple - it is the highest end product that fulfills my needs within a reasonable budget. I need 8 channels of DA conversion for my new digital crossover.

I have heard a DCS Rossini, and I have been thoroughly impressed. If this is the kind of sound that you like - incredibly detailed, with every tiny bit of music picked out and thrown into sharp relief, yet never sounding harsh - then as far as I know, there is nothing that beats it. Not Playback Designs (has a softer sound) nor MSB (sounds thicker and more lush).

The downside is that the Rossini costs a bomb, and that's only for two channels. For 8 channels of Rossini, that quickly runs into the realm of absurd money.

Once I receive my NADAC, I will be able to compare it to a DCS Rossini. Only a couple more weeks to wait. Even if it loses, I don't mind. The simple matter is, I can not afford 8 channels of DCS, so no point wishing I had a Rolls-Royce when all I can afford is a Toyota.