IGNORED

Recommend me a WiFi range extender other than power line types if there is one that works

I need to add about 30 feet to my limited range of about 20 feet on an older Macbook. Is there a non-powerline unit that would work with my all in one WOW cable box? I bought this Macbook for internet surfing but I am having trouble getting a strong WiFi signal. It won't be used for streaming music so ultra high speed not necessary. Thanks

I am not familiar with the WOW cable box but my suggestion, if this is possible, is to turn off the wifi (and maybe router) on the WOW box. Again, assuming you can do this, is to connect an Apple Airport Extreme (or possibly an Apple Airport Express) to the WOW box (via Ethernet cable) and use the Apple device for your wifi hub (& router). Note that you could potentially move the wireless hub (Extreme or Express) closer to your area of interest or place up on a shelf which may provide better coverage.

There are other similar devices but I have always had good luck with the Apple devices.

If that does not get you enough wifi coverage, you can add another Apple Airport Express unit nearer to where you want coverage. The Express will not only extend your wifi coverage but also provide wired connection (Ethernet) to that area of your house.

I have generally bought refurbished Apple equipment from the Apple website.

Good luck.

+1 for Netgear.

Asus is also excellent for coverage.

You can add such a router as an extender/repeater (a little bit of networking) and it will work better than plugging it in the WOW cable box, for starters it will increase the range.

However, if you are not comfortable with using router as a repeater/extender you can simply buy WiFi Extenders and Repeaters that are simple plug and play devices and take less than a couple of mins to setup.

WiFi Boosters (Range Extenders & Repeaters) | NETGEAR.

Also check out the Repeaters category on Amazon.com.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for all the help, guys. I am going to try a repeater

You might consider the eero WiFi system as well. I replaced my aging AirPort Express/Extreme routers with a 3-pack, and consider the 'project' an unqualified success. Highly recommended.

--

Wouldn't you really rather have a Lumin?

I need to add about 30 feet to my limited range of about 20 feet on an older Macbook. Is there a non-powerline unit that would work with my all in one WOW cable box? I bought this Macbook for internet surfing but I am having trouble getting a strong WiFi signal. It won't be used for streaming music so ultra high speed not necessary. Thanks

Hi, last week bought a Linksys RE6500, after comparing an Apple Airport Extreme, a Linksys RE6700, and a Linksys RE6500 at home to extend the signal from my Apple Time Capsule located in another room. All of them worked well, but the Linksys RE6500 gave a notably stronger signal than the Airport Extreme or the Linksys 6700. The setup was also quite easy. I also found that the location of the extender made a big difference; in my setup at least, higher was better, and moving it an inch to either side could make a 3 or 4 dB difference in the signal strength.

... turn off the wifi (and maybe router) on the WOW box. Again, assuming you can do this, is to connect an Apple Airport Extreme (or possibly an Apple Airport Express) to the WOW box (via Ethernet cable) and use the Apple device for your wifi hub (& router). Note that you could potentially move the wireless hub (Extreme or Express) closer to your area of interest or place up on a shelf which may provide better coverage.

There are other similar devices but I have always had good luck with the Apple devices.

If that does not get you enough wifi coverage, you can add another Apple Airport Express unit nearer to where you want coverage. The Express will not only extend your wifi coverage but also provide wired connection (Ethernet) to that area of your house.

+1

Turn off WiFi on your WOW and just hook up a better router to broadcast Wifi. I also like the Apple Extreme.

BTW. WiFi repeating cuts your bandwidth in half for every repeat. If you are just surfing it might not limit you but for streaming or large file transfer it could.

Best of all if you have a router that supports MOCA and coax into the area that you need WiFi to then use MOCA.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System