IGNORED

Duplicate tracks in some folders

Jamesroy

I'm using very latest Upgrade to A+. If I look at the folder within A+ I have some duplicates even if I delete them they come back even if I go to App support/Library/Audirvana and delete the three files and recreate new library they come back. I have all my music on an external usb2 HD. If I look in the HD in the suspected folder they aren't dup's only in A+ and when I recreate a Library all the files also go into the Play list area also. Some folders like the Beatles White Album only one Album #1 shows up in A+. A couple of folders breakup into two folders on A+ just using the 1st track in a new folder and the rest in another. Please help. I'm using Yosemite because I was getting consistent crashes in A+ with ElCapitan, now that is solved using Yosemite. Thanks

I know that Mac OS is Unix based. If you don't have your permissions set up properly, it can drive you nuts. You can just keep deleting files and they won't go anywhere. Its probably best to use the file manager in your OS for adding and deleting music. Also, you may have to restart or refresh your music player software to see any updated changes.

I know that Mac OS is Unix based. If you don't have your permissions set up properly, it can drive you nuts. You can just keep deleting files and they won't go anywhere. Its probably best to use the file manager in your OS for adding and deleting music. Also, you may have to restart or refresh your music player software to see any updated changes.

OK Thanks can you please give me a tip on using file manager. I also did a clean install of A+ but no help. When I would rip new CD's I just would drag and drop them into the Folder on my external HD.

I used the free version of this but still got duplicates.

Files for OS X

If you want to use something like that because it makes some tasks easier than using the OS X Finder, then that's fine, but it probably won't do anything about your duplicates problem. (I use Path Finder, which is similar.) I think @17629 was just using "file manager" in a generic sense and in this context was referring to the Finder.

When you delete files, how are you doing it? From within A+? From the Finder?

What version of OS X are you using? (Apple menu -> About This Mac)

If you select About Audirvana Plus from the Audirvana Plus menu, what does it say the version no. is?

Have you tried using Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities) to run First Aid on the volume where the music library is located? (If you're not experienced, it's probably a good idea to back up before you start mucking around in Disk Utility.)

HTH.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

If you want to use something like that because it makes some tasks easier than using the OS X Finder, then that's fine, but it probably won't do anything about your duplicates problem. (I use Path Finder, which is similar.) I think @17629 was just using "file manager" in a generic sense and in this context was referring to the Finder.

If you select About Audirvana Plus from the Audirvana Plus menu, what does it say the version no. is?

Have you tried using Disk Utility (Applications -> Utilities) to run First Aid on the volume where the music library is located? (If you're not experienced, it's probably a good idea to back up before you start mucking around in Disk Utility.)

HTH.

--David

Thanks for the reply. Here are some answers, I just drag and drop folders into the external HD in the folder I call A+ Music, I'm running Yosemite because of the crashing all were having with A+ and El Capitan and that solved that, I'm running very latest A+ 2.5, I run utilities all the time on both my Mac's no problem but I haven't run it on my external HD where my Music is so I guess I'll give that a try, When I delete dup's I've done it both ways from within A+ selecting tracks and delete and going to the external HD and deleting.

HTH.

--David

I was talking about the one that comes with the OS, but it really shouldn't matter. Also, you mention that you do a lot of drag and dropping. I do as well. One thing that happens, at least with me, is that I'm not careful and make mistakes that leave me with duplicates. Sometimes I release the mouse button too soon and I think nothing happened, but the file was copied to a different folder without me realizing it. It can also happen when I select more than what I want to move by accident, or unintentionally interrupting a file transfer before its complete.

Thanks for the reply. Here are some answers, I just drag and drop folders into the external HD in the folder I call A+ Music, I'm running Yosemite because of the crashing all were having with A+ and El Capitan and that solved that…

This is not related to your problem, but I'm running the most recent version of El Capitan on my home machines, with no crashing problems.

I'm running very latest A+ 2.5, I run utilities all the time on both my Mac's no problem but I haven't run it on my external HD where my Music is so I guess I'll give that a try, When I delete dup's I've done it both ways from within A+ selecting tracks and delete and going to the external HD and deleting.

When you delete a file in A+, it goes into the A+ Recycle Bin — it's not deleted from your hard drive until you do a second step and delete the file from the Recycle Bin. I wonder if this could have something to do with the problem. Meanwhile, I would go ahead and run First Aid on the USB drive.

If you still have problems with duplicate files, let us know.

—David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

I was talking about the one that comes with the OS, but it really shouldn't matter.

Just curious: It sounds like you don't use OS X much. Do you actually use Audirvana Plus?

--David

Just curious: It sounds like you don't use OS X much. Do you actually use Audirvana Plus?

--David

OS X is the Operating System Yes I use OS X all my Mac Life and A+ in place of iTunes . I looked in the recycle bin and seen nothing, good tip though, I'll check again, I ran First Aid on my external HD where my music is and it fixed one folder but I still have folders a few on my external HD and not showing up in A+. Thanks for all your help. I worked for a couple of months with plenty of posts about the crashing in El Capitan with A+ and the only thing that solved it was going back to Yosemite. Although since I have upgraded to A+ twice maybe it's fixed?

OS X is the Operating System Yes I use OS X all my Mac Life and A+ in place of iTunes . I looked in the recycle bin and seen nothing, good tip though, I'll check again, I ran First Aid on my external HD where my music is and it fixed one folder but I still have folders a few on my external HD and not showing up in A+.

It's cool, man. Happy to help (if I can). I was actually asking 17629 if he used A+.

Have you done a manual rescan in A+? Audirvana Plus -> Preferences -> Library tab, click on the Scan button.

After you've started the scan, a progress indicator will appear under the Audirvana logo at the top right of the main A+ window. Wait until the progress indicator disappears and then check out the duplicates/missing-folders situation.

--David

It's cool, man. Happy to help (if I can). I was actually asking 17629 if he used A+.

Have you done a manual rescan in A+? Audirvana Plus -> Preferences -> Library tab, click on the Scan button.

After you've started the scan, a progress indicator will appear under the Audirvana logo at the top right of the main A+ window. Wait until the progress indicator disappears and then check out the duplicates/missing-folders situation.

--David

Sorry I didn't know you were asking another person, but I don't see a scan button but a Green Auto text and a Sync button Which I have done many times. The only other test for me is to load El Capitan and see if ll is ok but that takes a while, I'm retired and time is sorta on my side.

--David

I haven't used OS X in a few years. You're right about the recycle bin. I completely forgot about it because I bypass it and use a delete command instead. I haven't tried Audirvana Plus yet, but you can have duplicate problems with any OS and music playback software. While the problem could be app specific, it doesn't have to be.

I haven't used OS X in a few years. You're right about the recycle bin. I completely forgot about it because I bypass it and use a delete command instead. I haven't tried Audirvana Plus yet, but you can have duplicate problems with any OS and music playback software. While the problem could be app specific, it doesn't have to be.

Nothing in recycle bin.

After reading your original post again, I think I know what the problem is. It may have to do with tagging. When you import music into a music player with a library, the app fills in basic meta-data using tags that are already in existence (if any), and from the file structure. Depending on what software you are using, you may not see all of the meta-data associated either because it may not be compatible with the particular music player you are using (there's different standards ID3v1, ID3v2, etc...), or you just don't have your software set up to display all of the meta-data tags associated with your files. So, if this is the case, there's really nothing wrong. There's just stuff going on that you're not aware of. To fix this all you need to do is get a good tagging program that reads all tag formats, and can display all tags linked to your music files. The software I use for this type of thing is called Puddletag. Its an extremely thorough program, but I think its only available for Linux. Maybe one of the other posters can recommend a good tagger for Mac. Quodlibet/Ex Falso is very good, but I'm not sure if it has all the features that you need. Also, keep in mind that this is just my best guess, so I could be wrong.

After reading your original post again, I think I know what the problem is. It may have to do with tagging. When you import music into a music player with a library, the app fills in basic meta-data using tags that are already in existence (if any), and from the file structure. Depending on what software you are using, you may not see all of the meta-data associated either because it may not be compatible with the particular music player you are using (there's different standards ID3v1, ID3v2, etc...), or you just don't have your software set up to display all of the meta-data tags associated with your files. So, if this is the case, there's really nothing wrong. There's just stuff going on that you're not aware of. To fix this all you need to do is get a good tagging program that reads all tag formats, and can display all tags linked to your music files. The software I use for this type of thing is called Puddletag. Its an extremely thorough program, but I think its only available for Linux. Maybe one of the other posters can recommend a good tagger for Mac. Quodlibet/Ex Falso is very good, but I'm not sure if it has all the features that you need. Also, keep in mind that this is just my best guess, so I could be wrong.

Thanks, ya I'm on a Mac running A+ very latest upgrade and I don't import anything I just do what Mac lets us do best and drag and drop. I did consider importing the music to my external HD but there was no import in A+. But things are getting better since I forgot to purge my Recycle bin overtime I deleted stuff so that helps but I still have the problem of everything also showing up in the Playlist area when I never directed it to that.

Thanks, ya I'm on a Mac running A+ very latest upgrade and I don't import anything I just do what Mac lets us do best and drag and drop. I did consider importing the music to my external HD but there was no import in A+. But things are getting better since I forgot to purge my Recycle bin overtime I deleted stuff so that helps but I still have the problem of everything also showing up in the Playlist area when I never directed it to that.

It can still happen. When you drag and drop into a library folder, the app still has to add that music to your library view based on how the music is tagged. If you have tags that you don't know are there, you can problems because the app doesn't know not to use them. It happens all the time.

It can still happen. When you drag and drop into a library folder, the app still has to add that music to your library view based on how the music is tagged. If you have tags that you don't know are there, you can problems because the app doesn't know not to use them. It happens all the time.

Thanks, on a Mac you get a progression bar line and I always wait till it finishes. Also all files are added to my playlist area so I don't know why thats happening?

• 4 weeks later...

New here, first post. I've been reading faithfully for months and can't thank all of you enough for your generosity on these topics.

Happily, what I've read led me to a Mac Mini server with Audirvana as a player solution. There's no doubt it sounds better. However, I am having similar problems with the library.

In my case, deleting tracks or entire albums from within the player only results in those being "gone" for a few instances of the application. They come back. The only true solution seems to be deleting them from the external hard drive where my music is stored. Then, upon rescanning, the player does not bring back the deleted tracks.

Also, many hours of tweaking meta-data have been lost when a new instance of the player completely reverses the changes. This includes split albums, (apparently separated because of a lack of or conflicting values in the "artist" field). This happened a few times now, but it is not consistent. For example, sometimes I close the program and reopen it and all the data is the same, my changes preserved, and sometimes only a few things have reverted. Once, the library reverted back to the original metadata entirely, with all my work erased except new album art. I'm more concerned about this than the inability to delete tracks from within the player, because I don't know how to stop this from happening.

I think the player sounds amazing and I don't want to give it up. But there has to be a way to preserve changes entered into the metadata fields from one instance to the next.

Having better luck the last few days. I'm cleaning up the library again, and making sure to empty the player's own Recycle Bin (which I didn't know was there, admittedly) frequently. I also close and re-open the program in case that action is what helps write my changes. Had a few crashes but everything was intact when it reopened.

Audirvana sounds wonderful with my Rega DAC-R and I suspect I'll buy it when my trial period ends in a few days.