IGNORED

Breezeaudio DAC

If you look at the Ebay pic's, it shows the USB as a small add on board. I would look inside and check to make sure its installed correctly. Also, if you look at the pics, they don't use the same motherboard. There's 2 different ones, close but not exact. I don't know if that means anything, I just thought it was worth mentioning.

As a test, I would try one of the other inputs just to make sure the main board is working.

The error you have is related to device drivers. If you can confirm that the dac works, and its a usb only problem, its probably a driver issue. Here's a pretty good walkthrough for diag:

How To Fix Error Code 10 (This device cannot start)

Also, you should try it on a different computer. If you don't have another, you can always download a Linux distro that runs live off a dvd. One of the Mints would be a good choice. If you've never worked with Linux, don't be put off. What I'm asking you do to is very fast and simple. You just download an iso file, burn it to a dvd and reboot. The OS runs directly off the disk itself and does absolutely nothing to your PC. When you want to go back to Windows, remove the disk and reboot.

This DAC uses USB high speed mode. Support for audio using this mode is NOT built in to Windows, you need a driver to use this DAC with Windows. This is usually supplied by the manufacturer. I would email the place you got it from and ask if they have a Windows driver for it.

John S.

This DAC uses USB high speed mode. Support for audio using this mode is NOT built in to Windows, you need a driver to use this DAC with Windows. This is usually supplied by the manufacturer. I would email the place you got it from and ask if they have a Windows driver for it.

John S.

Is high speed mode even needed? I thought USB 2 was fine for music.

Is high speed mode even needed? I thought USB 2 was fine for music.

USB 1.1 supports slow speed and full speed (12Mbs). USB 2.0 supports all the 1.1 speed and adds high speed (480Mbps). USB 3.0 supports all the 2.0 speeds and adds super speed (5 Gbps).

So USB 2.0 DOES support high speed. It is the mode that most modern DACs use.

As far as audio is concerned there are two specs: USB Audio Class 1 (UAC1) and USB Audio Class 2 (UAC2).

UAC1 supports up through full speed, its maximum sample rate is 24/96. Windows comes with a UAC1 driver.

UAC2 supports up through high speed, high sample rates etc. Windows does NOT come with a UAC2 driver. OSX and Linux DO come with a UAC2 driver.

Thus in order to use a DAC that runs at high speed with Windows you MUST have a third party UAC2 driver. Most manufacturers of such DACs will provide such a driver. There have been some generic Windows UAC2 drivers available (NOT free!) but they are getting harder to find.

John S.