IGNORED

PS Audio LANRover

I am happy for you and cross my fingers it will work with and improve your setup! Please do post your impressions here after evaluation! :)

Thanks! I certainly will keep you guys apprised. One thing I just thought of: Could I also use it in lieu of USB cable while connected to the NuWave Phono converter? As it is now, I swap my USB cable from the DAC to the Phono Converter with the other end connected the my Mac Mini while ripping vinyl. Seems like transmission would be reversed in this situation. I hope it is designed for a duplex situation like this.

how does this solution differ from the LANRover?

Electrically Isolate Your Networked Audio | AudioStream

LANRover sends USB Audio through ethernet, ie. it is suppose to work as "a great USB cable" without the usual drawbacks of a USB cable. It is something like a AOIP (audio over IP) for normal USB DAC´s IMO. Instead of sending the USB signal through a USB cable it transform the signal to a ethernet signal and sends it through a Cat5 ethernet cable (ie. unshielded and galvanicly isolated) with a sender and receiver.

Your link contains an optical network converter which galvanicly isolate the network only and could improve USB sound since noise it blocks out the noise coming through the ethernet. No audio covertion and no USB connections...just ethernet.

🎛️  Audio System  

I am happy for you and cross my fingers it will work with and improve your setup! Please do post your impressions here after evaluation! :)

Thanks! I certainly will keep you guys apprised. One thing I just thought of: Could I also use it in lieu of USB cable while connected to the NuWave Phono converter? As it is now, I swap my USB cable from the DAC to the Phono Converter with the other end connected the my Mac Mini while ripping vinyl. Seems like transmission would be reversed in this situation. I hope it is designed for a duplex situation like this.

I am not sure if it will work for recording purposes....but I would be very surprised if it did´nt work. You might need to change the sender/receiver in the opposite direction? Do tell us if that work or nor when you have tried it out! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

I'll be beta testing this as well. Should receive the device soon. I will be testing LANRover using an ethernet over power connection, as well as at the desktop, and in the media center. Music delivery will be via Roon, and JRiver music programs. Endpoints will be ethernet cable, Bryston BDP-1, and Sonore microRendu. I have a couple of different DACs to hook up to. Should be fun.

I'll be beta testing this as well. Should receive the device soon. I will be testing LANRover using an ethernet over power connection, as well as at the desktop, and in the media center. Music delivery will be via Roon, and JRiver music programs. Endpoints will be ethernet cable, Bryston BDP-1, and Sonore microRendu. I have a couple of different DACs to hook up to. Should be fun.

Awesome! You really got it covered for best possible sound. Looking forward to your impressions! :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

🎛️  Audio System  

I am not sure if it will work for recording purposes....but I would be very surprised if it did´nt work. You might need to change the sender/receiver in the opposite direction? Do tell us if that work or nor when you have tried it out! :)

It will work in exactly the same way for any USB device. As far as the device is concerned ... you are not sending audio; no (dedicated) audio protocol is used.

You could easily use this device to connect your NuWave Phono converter ... or you could use it to connect a USB printer or a USB scanner or a USB video device. You get the idea. Everything is connected in identical manner - USB from the computer to the "sender"; Ethernet out of the sender to your LAN; LAN connected to the receiver and then USB out of the sender to the DAC/ADC/Printer/whatever.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

It will work in exactly the same way for any USB device. As far as the device is concerned ... you are not sending audio; no (dedicated) audio protocol is used.

You could easily use this device to connect your NuWave Phono converter ... or you could use it to connect a USB printer or a USB scanner or a USB video device. You get the idea. Everything is connected in identical manner - USB from the computer to the "sender"; Ethernet out of the sender to your LAN; LAN connected to the receiver and then USB out of the sender to the DAC/ADC/Printer/whatever.

That's great to hear. Awesome news. I assume that quality of USB cables (now need 2!) in this scenario remains very important, right?

If you have a choice, the better USB cable should be the one between LANRover and the DAC.

IMO both USB cables are just as important for the best sound. Keep them short (as short as posible from 100-500mm), unshielded and if possible without 5v (if not required by DAC or LAN Rover).

🎛️  Audio System  

IMO both USB cables are just as important for the best sound. Keep them short (as short as posible from 100-500mm), unshielded and if possible without 5v (if not required by DAC or LAN Rover).

[/http://www.psaudio.com/forum/accessories-cables-and-room-tuning/beta-testers-wanted-for-lanrover/page-2/#p58601

I was paraphrasing Paul MCGowan, owner of PS Audio. He indicated the DAC side USB cable was more critical than the computer side one. (Thread post 37). Two good cables wouldn't hurt though. :)

[/http://www.psaudio.com/forum/accessories-cables-and-room-tuning/beta-testers-wanted-for-lanrover/page-2/#p58601

I was paraphrasing Paul MCGowan, owner of PS Audio. He indicated the DAC side USB cable was more critical than the computer side one. (Thread post 37). Two good cables wouldn't hurt though. :)

"No cable USB" known as hard USB adapters is suppose to be the ultimate USB cable...but they are not! Hard adapters have cables as well...but of poor quality. Best option is as short cable as possible with as good wires and connectors as possible...without shielding or dielectric materials.

🎛️  Audio System  

I have a LANRover on order, and they told me it comes supplied with one USB cable and a "very short" length of Ethernet cable "so you can stack [the two LANRover boxes] behind your DAC." I plan to do just that, keeping my current USB cable from my Mac Mini to the LANRover and using whatever they supply between that and my DAC (actually, my Regen) before I start switching out cables and connectors. Want to control as many variables as possible AND attempt to evaluate the thing in the manner PS Audio is at least tacitly recommending, with all the stock accessories they supply.

Edited at add: I am not a beta tester.

Can't wait to hear how it performs. To share a quick story: I had a specific question about the LANrover, submitted the question on PA Audio's product page late one evening, and woke up to see a personal email from Paul answering my question. Above and beyond service!

ryan

[MacBook with Audirvana+ -- WW Plat USB -- W4S DAC2 -- WW Silver IC -- C2300 NOS Telefunken blue tips -- WW Silver IC -- Mc252 -- 803S] + [dual Fathom F113 v2] + [WW Silver PC's]

Long term goals, one piece at a time

Have the delivery guy move in and return the wife....You have to stand your ground on these things....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Well... She does love dogs and motorcycles. And she tolerates it when I put the occasional (OK, frequent) hurting on our bank account in the name of audio perfection. Not to mention she's the mother of our kids. So she gets a pass. For now!

Well... She does love dogs and motorcycles. And she tolerates it when I put the occasional (OK, frequent) hurting on our bank account in the name of audio perfection. Not to mention she's the mother of our kids. So she gets a pass. For now!

I think we all have POST.. relation issues we have to work through..[emoji2]

Looking forward to your Other rover thoughts...

Good luck with the beta testing

Dave

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I have a LANRover on order, and they told me it comes supplied with one USB cable and a "very short" length of Ethernet cable "so you can stack [the two LANRover boxes] behind your DAC." I plan to do just that, keeping my current USB cable from my Mac Mini to the LANRover and using whatever they supply between that and my DAC (actually, my Regen) before I start switching out cables and connectors. Want to control as many variables as possible AND attempt to evaluate the thing in the manner PS Audio is at least tacitly recommending, with all the stock accessories they supply.

Edited at add: I am not a beta tester.

For me, one of the biggest attributes/benefit is putting these devices on a gigabit LAN. Probably the second most important benefit would be to get the multifunction, noisy, computer, as far away from the audio rack as possible.

These devices also benefit, (as I've been told), by replacing the receiving PSU with a LPS.

Cheers,

For me, one of the biggest attributes/benefit is putting these devices on a gigabit LAN. Probably the second most important benefit would be to get the multifunction, noisy, computer, as far away from the audio rack as possible.

These devices also benefit, (as I've been told), by replacing the receiving PSU with a LPS.

Cheers,

PS Audio definitely seems to be touting the benefit of LAN implementation, both as a convenience factor and for sound quality. One point worth noting for me at least: On their forum, PS Audio indicate that they do not recommend using the networked solution if your Ethernet is transmitted over your household electrical wiring, which unfortunately is my situation (i.e., I don't have separate hardwired Ethernet in my walls and use Netgear Ethernet-over-AC boxes). So, I'll be stuck with the direct hook-up solution, but from what I've been reading, and from PS Audio's own statements, I'm hoping to hear good improvements in that implementation that justify the $599 price. Fingers crossed!

And while you're the first I've seen mention it, no doubt there will be many looking at how an LPS replacement for the included power supply might affect the sound (the box connected to the DAC needs an external power source, while the one connected to the PC does not). Again, at least for the time being, my plan is to use all the stock parts and listen for improvements to my current setup, so I can control for variables as well as cost. If I don't hear a significant improvement using the stock parts supplied by PS Audio, I'm unlikely to look at tweaks like upgraded USB cables and LPSes.

Best of luck to you. I hope that it improves your setup.

Depending on your house configuration, - you may want to just try to run a very "temporary" CAT6a cable from your switch & lanrover "sender" to the Lanrover receiver. (Moving your computer to the room where the switch is).

It might give you an indication of the benefits.

I bet that you will hear improvements as you plan on using it....

Cheers,

HA! I just imagined what that "temporary" CAT6a cable might look like (answer: pretty comical as my wife and I clothesline ourselves repeatedly). Unfortunately, my computer is going to have to stay put, too. I use it to control things like ClassicsOnline that don't have a remote control app, so it has to be near the stereo. Essentially, my Mac Mini is part of my stereo system (and I also use it to watch streaming video there in the living room). But I look forward to comparing notes on the two implementations.

Received my LANRover today and installed it as directed. As I have it right now, I'm running Roon to HQPlayer on Mac Mini>LANRover>PS Audio NuWave DSD DAC. The sound right out of the gate was, to my ears, more crisp, less cluttered. I get more separation between instruments and voices. More musical, basically. And I didn't have to switch back and forth to confirm this either. It was pretty clear, almost like going from MP3 to FLAC difference. Keep in mind that I record my LPs via DSD128 (using PSA NuWave Phono converter and Vinyl Studio) and am trying to come to an adequate solution to reproduce that virgin vinyl sound and I feel like I'm there with this setup. Plus redbook rips sound great too. I'm thrilled, honestly! It has exceeded my expectations. The only downside is having to purchase another quality USB cable. It's worth it though. Highly recommended.