IGNORED

Thoughts on 3 music server implementations (aurender, sonare, ps audio), help please

OT...

Folks on Windows should check out MusicBee. It has somewhat similar functionality to Roon, gathers data and displays in the media player, from both Wikipedia and Last.fm. Not sure about Allmusic, have not used it in a really long time. But for the price of free, MusicBee is worth checking out.

Haven't tried Roon. From what I've read they don't plan any Raspberry Pi or ARM distro and having switched from a PC to a Pi and with the huge gains in SQ I'll never go back to a PC/laptop. Would have loved to try Roon though, if it was available for the Pi.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

You can absolutely use the Pi as a Roon endpoint, but it doesn't have the oomph to run Roon Core or Roon Server.

--David

Checked the site.

They don't seem to have anything Core or Server for a NAS either. I've a Synology with Intel CPU that would have been a nice fit.

Seems I need to bring in my Windows PC or laptop. Might try it over the weekend, but it defeats my purpose of eliminating everything PC and Windows from the chain.

The only other route seems to be with h/w like Auralic or Sonore.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I'm sorry, Les, but I haven't been in a position to make that kind of direct comparison. The microRendu went on sale a few hours ago, and I assume that before too long, user reviews will start popping up, not to mention further installments of Chris's review. Maybe an N100 owner will decide to take a flyer on a microRendu, and you'll get the kind of feedback you're looking for. Candidly, I'd have to say that while the SOSE is working fine in my setup, it's really not up to the hardware standard of either the Aurender or the microRendu, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if, in an apples-to-apples situation (in this case, straight bitperfect with no software upsampling or filtering), the Aurender would sound better than the microRendu. (Of course, as you know, I'm smitten with HQPlayer, so straight bitperfect isn't really my thing.)

--David

Chris would have already done that comparison.

On the Aurender W20...

The Aurender W20 has displaced the CAPS v3 Carbon server in my system and is without a doubt the best music server I've used to date.

On the microRendu...

After all this, I can unequivocally say that with the microRendu in place, my audio system has never sounded better than right now.

Even if both perform on par (unlikely), but even in that scenario the microRendu would win on the price point.