IGNORED

Ubuntu 16.04 released with ZFS

Do you use ZFS for the entire OS, or just select drives/partitions that you use to store media?

I've done it both ways. Now that ZFS is stable and built into Ubuntu reasonable to use as system disc.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Huh, this is interesting news now that I am using BTRFS on my Synology NAS...

ha

That's totally fine ... this is really for folks who want to build their own -- major point is that an industrial quality NAS is really only a machine with a generic OS and shares enabled.

This sounds like a great idea. I might put it on a Synology NAS that I just bought.... I wonder if Apple or MS will ever do something for data integrity.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

This sounds like a great idea. I might put it on a Synology NAS that I just bought.... I wonder if Apple or MS will ever do something for data integrity.

There have been versions of ZFS for OSX which is when I first started using -- before Sun purchased by Oracle there was talk of Apple using ZFS as next version of HFS+

• 4 weeks later...
I've upgraded my NAS to Ubuntu 16.04 which was just released with baked in ZFS. This eases the ability to build a dual purpose NAS and Roon/HQPlayer server.

Hi,

I just upgraded my QNAP NAS to QTS 4.2.1 & installed Linux Station, with (I believe) Ubuntu 14.04. Looks like I have to check to see if 16.04 is available? Apologies, but what is ZFS?

I am wanting to try Roon Server, - but I am going REALLY slow in order to not mess with something that is working great.

Thanks,

Hi,

I just upgraded my QNAP NAS to QTS 4.2.1 & installed Linux Station, with (I believe) Ubuntu 14.04. Looks like I have to check to see if 16.04 is available? Apologies, but what is ZFS?

I am wanting to try Roon Server, - but I am going REALLY slow in order to not mess with something that is working great.

Thanks,

ZFS is a filesystem that has data integrity protection features. My post was aimed at an application where you combine a high powered server with NAS.

• 6 months later...

“I've upgraded my NAS to Ubuntu 16.04 which was just released with baked in ZFS. This eases the ability to build a dual purpose NAS and Roon/HQPlayer server.”

As I am in the planning process of my home NAS's (If 1 is good 3 must be better, right?) I seek the opinion(s) of experienced users employing Ubuntu + Roon + HQP as this is my plan for my music NAS. I am confused by your second sentence and am wondering if re-phrasing to "...improves data-preserving capability (i.e. addresses bit-rot) in building a dual purpose NAS and Roon/HQPlayer server." might be more appropriate? Please do not infer any disrespect, but I am given to believe bit-rot avoidance (rare as that may be) is the ONLY reason to embrace ZFS. I am NO EXPERT, simply an avid reader trying to learn from those with experience and expertise that I might get my NAS's right on the first go round.

Thanks in advance!

Bill Walker

I run FreeNas (FreeBSD derivative) with about 2Tb of ZFS music data (flac mostly) and RoonServer in a virtualized machine with memory allocated for it. FreeNas 10 will also support Docker containers "out of the box" which will make it easier to deploy software to run in parallel to serving files out via NFS, SMB, AFS. ZFS conveniently supports integrated checksums, snapshots, mirroring and RAID5/6 similar modes. Also, mixed drive and SSD configurations for performance flexibility.

Is there a reason you want >1 NAS? Really any Linux server can be a NAS. Of course ZFS does more than "just" protect agains bitrot. I use it as my default filesystem because of its stability and ease of snapshots e.g. right before an upgrade... I think that if you aren't sure what you want, then safest/best to mirror your volumes.

Thanks for the replies!

My NAS needs relate primarily to how I value differing data classes and the frequency of change to a given class.. For example, I have a couple TB of family videos and photos, 3 TB of movies/TV shows, 10 TB of music (ripped Redbook, ripped SACDs, ripped vinyl and purchased hi rez) and 2 TB of ‘computer backup’ (various desktops and laptops used in the home). The ‘value/frequency of change’ parameters of these classes are: 1 - Irreplaceable/Infrequent change, 2 - Replaceable with relative ease/Frequent change, 3 - Replaceable with much effort or cost/Frequent change and 4 - Replaceable with moderate effort/Continual change, respectively. I hope that’s not too confusing. The aforementioned are broad categories and there are, of course, subcategories within each class.

How to proceed? I’m quite aware of the dictum “RAID is not backup!” I’m also severely impatient and desire a speedy system. Reliability is a must. To a reasonable extent I prefer to future-proof my system. I’m hardwiring our home (a MAJOR PITA!) with CAT 6a cable for the coming 10 Gbe evolution with a couple fiber cable jumps to music servers. I think wireless is OK for some things (talking on a cell phone outside, for example), but not telephone talking, hd video viewing or hirez audio listening in my home (I’m not trying to be provocative and am well aware of alternative opinions in this matter). I believe ZFS addresses data corruption well, but am not at all certain I need THAT level of protection given the requirements (spin all drives in an array to access data on one drive?, expand my pool in 4 drive increments?!?!). I’m beginning to believe (with no experience/expertise whatsoever) that ZFS in a raidz2 FreeBSD system is an enterprise solution for users who require data integrity and reliability for economic and competitive reasons. I know the FreeNAS group has many followers. I am unconvinced that system suits my needs for anything but perhaps class 4. I agree that RAID 1 may be most suitable for my class 1. I’m looking more at alternative RAID solutions and am leaning toward SnapRAID or UnRAID. Docker appears not to be OS-specific so that is of no concern. Regarding my idea of more than 1 NAS - I suppose I could run VM’s within one very powerful NAS and have FreeNas, RAID 1 and SnapRAID all on the one machine. Also since my experience with Linux has always been challenging and time-consuming, my preference is Windows.

Thanks again gentlemen. This is where I currently am.

Happy holidays one and all and I wish you all a healthy and prosperous New Year!

Bill Walker

I was thinking of something comprehensive which sparked as I typed my reply above - a multi-OS NAS achieved via virtualization and Docker. I can include elements of JBOD, ZFS and various RAID levels and alternative Raid systems. Information garnered reading Computer Audiophile through the years gives me a pretty clear template for how I'll manage the audio portion of my system. I think many if not most CA readers and contributors probably use their NAS's purely for audio purposes (as well they should!), but I have other NAS-related storage needs which I may as well address simultaneously. In truth I didn't know what a NAS was until I started reading this site and sometime in 2011 purchased the Synology DS411 Slim which was on the CA CASH list (but no longer appears there) and is still going strong.