IGNORED

Positive Feedback Review of JPLAY

clipper

Care to elaborate?

The issue is that by now, cheaper ways of achieving the same are emerging.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Care to elaborate?

Raspberry Pi for one.

MinimServer and it works just as well as anything out of the box.

If you want the optical (and non-wireless) approach then a HiFiBerry Digi+ addon.

Cost will be lower than the JPLAY license.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Don't see why @master is joking. Reliable, low cost, low powered & efficient tiny computers like the Raspberry Pi have been used as proven network audio file players for quite some time, especially as OpenHome renderers. So certainly no need to have to fire up a bloated Windows crate just to run a DIY OpenHome renderer, regardless of how much Windows has been optimised.

Many free distributions available, even OpenHome.org themselves have provided a reference OpenHome renderer, the OpenHome Player, also for free. Try it for yourself (especially the Raspberry Pi version):

Use

Wouldn't surprise me if JPlay itself incorporates the Windows version of the (free) OpenHome Player as its OpenHome renderer.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Don't see why @master is joking. Reliable, low cost, low powered & efficient tiny computers like the Raspberry Pi have been used as proven network audio file players for quite some time, especially as OpenHome renderers. So certainly no need to have to fire up a bloated Windows crate just to run a DIY OpenHome renderer, regardless of how much Windows has been optimised.

Many free distributions available, even OpenHome.org themselves have provided a reference OpenHome renderer, the OpenHome Player, also for free. Try it for yourself (especially the Raspberry Pi version):

Use

Wouldn't surprise me if JPlay itself incorporates the Windows version of the (free) OpenHome Player as its OpenHome renderer.

I use a pi2 connected via i2s to the dac. It's really good for the price.

But I can't say that it sounds better than a dual PC setup using JPLAY in Ultrastream mode with the hibernate option on.[emoji4]

Nope, it uses its own implementation.
Hi Bubbleguuum

Sounds as if you have some first hand info. Did they ask you for some help in its development?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I use a pi2 connected via i2s to the dac. It's really good for the price.

But I can't say that it sounds better than a dual PC setup using JPLAY in Ultrastream mode with the hibernate option on.[emoji4]

Perhaps you should try MinimServer and wireless streaming to achieve galvanic isolation? Its kind of a big deal when done right.

I've used JPlay 2 PC setup in the past, JRiver, Foobar, cPlay, Audirvana, and a ton of other players, and right now Synology NAS + Pi + wireless streaming gives me the best SQ bar one - BHE.

BHE is still the best - and by a long shot - but its also a resource hog that takes over my i7 and as such not my daily driver.

I've not tried HQPlayer, don't intend to either since I'm not into DSD.

All of my content is redbook and played as such without any upsampling/resampling.

I like things neutral, nearer to the Genelec/studio monitors sound, so no DSP, filters either. BHE is the opposite end of that spectrum and while I agree it sounds the best, even vinyl like in some setups I've heard, its not my daily driver.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Perhaps you should try MinimServer and wireless streaming to achieve galvanic isolation? Its kind of a big deal when done right.

I've used JPlay 2 PC setup in the past, JRiver, Foobar, cPlay, Audirvana, and a ton of other players, and right now Synology NAS + Pi + wireless streaming gives me the best SQ bar one - BHE.

BHE is still the best - and by a long shot - but its also a resource hog that takes over my i7 and as such not my daily driver.

I've not tried HQPlayer, don't intend to either since I'm not into DSD.

All of my content is redbook and played as such without any upsampling/resampling.

I like things neutral, nearer to the Genelec/studio monitors sound, so no DSP, filters either. BHE is the opposite end of that spectrum and while I agree it sounds the best, even vinyl like in some setups I've heard, its not my daily driver.

That's the way I use the pi : no ethernet but wifi. Minimserver converting flac to wave on the fly and running on a syno. Never tried Bug Head Emperor.

Care to elaborate?

Apart from the Pi solution (and its derivatives), there is the SonicOrbiter SE and now the mRendu. JPlay is nothing more than a controller/renderer architecture based on Windows. It's 'special sauce' is that it dresses down Windows to the bare minimum services. There are plenty of Linux solutions that follow the same approach (Volumio, Daphile, Vortex) and on the windows side you have Audiophile Optimizer.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Wot's the point in that?????

Wasted effort, as lossless is lossless!

Not necessarily. Compressed FLAC needs unpacking and decompression to get the LCPM file, while WAV does not (it is merely a container that can just be chopped off). The theory is that by using less processor time, you get a more quiet machine which results in less ripple and noise, in turn giving lower jitter.

By having minimserver transpose the file, you have the storage and metadata benefits of FLAC. Uncompressed FLAC behaves similar to WAV.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

Apart from the Pi solution (and its derivatives), there is the SonicOrbiter SE and now the mRendu. JPlay is nothing more than a controller/renderer architecture based on Windows. It's 'special sauce' is that it dresses down Windows to the bare minimum services. There are plenty of Linux solutions that follow the same approach (Volumio, Daphile, Vortex) and on the windows side you have Audiophile Optimizer.

JPLAY does not do anything like that. Only in hibernate mode, most extreme mode which is disabled by default, processes are shut down during playback. 'The special sauce' is how playback engine is realized.

Regards,

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder