IGNORED

Baffling PC/DAC Audio problem

Hi all , this has me baffled , so I am seeking advice

I am using a ASUS desktop PC W7 64

Using same USB Port, same USB cable, same DAC - HRT Musicstreamer HD that I have been using trouble free for at least 2 years

Starting yesterday - Audio sound starts to crackle and breakup- ( sounds like bad radio static) volume drops then no audio

Unplug the cable from DAC and plug in again- no lights at all on DAC ( no power ?)

Switch to USB port on the back of PC- everything OK

This morning switched back to the problem port - worked fine for 2 hours, then same crackle and breakup of sound

Is it just the USB port on the way out, or a M/B issue?

Have tried restarts and also System restore

Any help appreciated

Michael

Download two apps.

USBtreeview & USBDeview . Identify the port which is giving the problem, and note the other ports which are connected to the same hub.

If the problem is with another port on the same hub, the hub is broken. Find another hub on the computer and use that instead.

If the problem is the one port , then don't use that port, but depends on what's wrong, it may cause a short and take out more than you want. Windows will also report the mA draw for that port or hub, so will the other utilities.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Thanks One and a half - Had a quick look at those D/L's

Your suggestion is quite possibily the answer - and maybe beneficial ( if slightly inconvenient)

Taking the case side cover off, I see that the front ports are fed from MB with about 2ft of standard USB cable,

whereas the 2 ports on the rear of the case are surface mounted to MB

It seems to me that it is possible that the rear ports may sound better than the front ports, by way of avoiding that 2ft of cheap standard cable

Will require a rethink of cabling and DAC positioning, but it may be a blessing in a mask... :)

Thanks

Michael

It seems to me that it is possible that the rear ports may sound better than the front ports, by way of avoiding that 2ft of cheap standard cable

Will require a rethink of cabling and DAC positioning, but it may be a blessing in a mask...

Thanks

Michael

Michael

I have found just that, with and without a USB Regen in line, both when using a USB powered DVD writer for ripping, and when saving files to a USB memory stick.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

First, you may want to check to see if you have both usb2 and usb3 ports on your PC. If so, put the dac on a usb2 port and everything else on usb3. Also, you should recheck your usb/power management settings. Sometimes the settings change when the system is upgraded. Set everything usb related to max performance, as well as any other related settings. When you go into the control panel settings to do this, they hide the high performance power plan setting and only show standard and power saving plan options. Depending on how many usb devices are connected to your pc, you may need to get a powered hub.

Michael

I have found just that, with and without a USB Regen in line, both when using a USB powered DVD writer for ripping, and when saving files to a USB memory stick.

Regards

Alex

I setup the rear port last night and will have a proper listen this arvo -may need slightly longer IC's for the long term - but am planning a new PC with w10 in near future - so I'll probably just make do till then

Michael

First, you may want to check to see if you have both usb2 and usb3 ports on your PC. If so, put the dac on a usb2 port and everything else on usb3. Also, you should recheck your usb/power management settings. Sometimes the settings change when the system is upgraded. Set everything usb related to max performance, as well as any other related settings. When you go into the control panel settings to do this, they hide the high performance power plan setting and only show standard and power saving plan options. Depending on how many usb devices are connected to your pc, you may need to get a powered hub.[/quote

Thanks 17629, I have KB and mse and HDD on powered hub, only DAC is plugged straight in to PC - I'll have a look at those settings - but at least I 've got reliable sound now using the rear port

Michael