IGNORED

Wyred DAC-1 LE or Teac NT-503 dac

Looking to upgrade from my existing DAC (Parasound Zdac) to one of the two DSD capable dacs. Currently the Zdac is limited to files over USB of 24/96 and I do have a good selection of high res files greater than that along with DSD files.

I don't necessarily care about the other Teac features although the BT and Internet streaming might be handy.

Thoughts on which one to go with? Both are $1k. I'm running Jriver for streaming off my NAS. I like the trickle down effect of Teac with its luxury Esoteric parent company yet the Wyred offers a well known saber dac and Internet direct.

Thanks!

I bought the NT-503. So far, I like it. Having the various filter and up-sampling options (which you would also get with the UD-503) is nice. I haven't tried the bluetooth feature, but the networking seems to work reasonably well, if you don't mind using Teac's own iOS app to control it. I did some experimenting with DLNA controllers, with varying results (I started out knowing nothing). I think some of the Teac DLNA stuff is non-standard, or else it is user error. Within the confines of Teac's own controller software, it seems to work without any problem. I did not try it with JRiver because I couldn't figure out how to use it, and I didn't want to invest a lot of time trying to learn it. I am primarily using it as a USB DAC with Audirvana Plus for up-sampling and Dirac as an AU plugin. I currently use the network interface mostly for Tuenin.com "radio" at the moment.

I am impressed with the sound quality, but I haven't really done any serious comparisons. There is certainly nothing deficient.

The lack of a remote on the Wyred DAC-1 LE is a deal-breaker for me, as is the apparent lack of a pre-amp functionality.

I'm also considering the Schiit gungnir MB. Really looking to gain full 24/192 playback with asynchronous usb which my Zdac lacks. Most of my library is CD in flac with some high res flac and DSD files.

I've got the W4S Dac 1 LE with the Femto clock upgrade and am happy with it. The sound in my system is very good, it does 32/384 & DSD 256. It's a pretty basic dac, doesn't have networking capability, preamp, or BT, however those features are why the DAC 2 DSD costs a good bit more.

Regards,

Ed

Update...

i snagged a used Schiit Gungnir Multibit dac today! I chose this route knowing I don't have many DSD files and reviews of it seem to indicate it reproduces sound very accurately (likely due to the closed filter etc). The tech to me was very intriguing!