Sign in to follow this  
The Computer Audiophile

Prince Rogers Nelson (June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016)

Rate this topic

I'm jolted. I'm two years younger than Prince and I remember when his first album came out and hit our high school by storm. I took summer classes in Madison in '84 when Purple Rain came out. One of my classmates went to high school with Prince and told us he was a really good basketball player. Years later, Dave Chapelle did a hilarious skit about playing a pick up basketball game with him.

A friend of mine lives about a mile from Paisley Park. She says the whole metro area is in mourning, as he always stayed true to his Minneapolis roots.

A true musical genius. Our generation's Mozart as far as I'm concerned.

*Mac Mini I7 (for now)---> Ethernet---> Verizon Fios Router---> Ethernet--->

*CARY DMS-600 STREAMER/DAC---> XLR ICs--->

*CARY SLP-05 preamp (Ultimate Upgrade ed.)---> XLR ICs--->

*CLAYTON M-300 amps--->

*MARTIN LOGAN Spire speakers.

Prince died today here in Minneapolis at his studio Paisley Park.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25458[/ATTACH]

Some people's talent and achievements can be understood, you can see how they progressed and you have a sense that you could be that good if you dedicated yourself to the task... And then there are the magicians, those who transcend, who execute quantum leaps effortlessly... Prince was one of those few.

Consider this:

His guitar playing is not only masterful, but effortless... And this is one tiny sliver of the man.

mini+Roon > dCS Rossini DAC + Rossini Master Clock >

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo G2

system pics

The irony here is that I've never been a fan of any Prince's music . . . until I heard a rare track of his at AXPONA called, of all things, The Undertaker. It's simply amazing and I couldn't quit thinking about it. In fact, I was able to locate a copy on Ebay from England and ordered it. Only two days later, Prince had passed away. If I hadn't heard his music earlier, it would have been sad but I would have quickly moved on. But i had connected with his music so deeply that weekend that I was surprised at how much his death affected me.

I'm so impressed with his remarkable guitar work. I'll appreciate any album recommendations in which his guitar work is the highlight.

Aside from that, it will probably only be over time that I'll better understand what a tremendous loss we've experienced.

Joel

Something different...

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

interested in other's opinions on the quality of the recordings of his music.

I've always found his stuff not very satisfying (only from the standpoint of recorded quality, not the quality of the music itself, of course) and been frustrated. Now, I've had a hard time finding any good copies on vinyl and only recently ripped my CD's into flac.

interestingly lots of his stuff grades well on the DR...

interested in other's opinions on the quality of the recordings of his music.

I've always found his stuff not very satisfying (only from the standpoint of recorded quality, not the quality of the music itself, of course) and been frustrated. Now, I've had a hard time finding any good copies on vinyl and only recently ripped my CD's into flac.

interestingly lots of his stuff grades well on the DR...

Agree . Great artist but the albums like Purple Rain are horribly recorded IMO.