IGNORED

hard drive playback vs internet streaming

johnnyj

My computer audio playback is exclusively ripped cds to hard drive in wav playback with foobar. Using an idsd DAC. Can any internet streaming services provide comparable audio quality? thank you.

Tidal in CD quality.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

To my ear, a ripped cd track always has better, tighter and cleaner bass versus the same track streamed over Tidal. Don't know why. Doesn't make sense, but it's consistent for me.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

To my ear, a ripped cd track always has better, tighter and cleaner bass versus the same track streamed over Tidal. Don't know why. Doesn't make sense, but it's consistent for me.

any opinions regarding differences in quality between a cd played from the optical drive and that same cd played after being ripped to the hard drive?

My experience is similar... but I've heard others say differently, as in Tidal is better.

any opinions regarding differences in quality between a cd played from the optical drive and that same cd played after being ripped to the hard drive?

CD player is better, but most optical drives in computers and laptops don't make for good transports. Ripped to HDD is better, but maybe not by much since most computers are inherently noisy.

My 2 cents is to take it out of the PC. Get a NAS or an external HDD and go with anything like Raspberry Pi, Auralic Mini, Intel NUC, etc. Or a 2 PC setup with the main PC in another location and a front end smaller SOC/SBC doing the streaming/playback duties. Noise floor will be hugely improved for one. Also (my personal experience is) better detail, soundstage, dynamic range, etc.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

My computer audio playback is exclusively ripped cds to hard drive in wav playback with foobar. Using an idsd DAC. Can any internet streaming services provide comparable audio quality? thank you.
You should be able to make a direct comparison for yourself with the Foobar2000 player software, Windows computer & external DAC you are currently using.

If you install the foo_upnp plugin for Foobar2000, you can then use Foobar as a UPnP/DLNA network music file renderer/streamer. Also, by installing the BubbleUPnP Server helper software on either the same machine or on another computer/NAS on the same network, you should be able to create an OpenHome renderer for the Foobar UPnP/DLNA renderer.

https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_upnp

BubbleUPnP Server

You'll then be able to use the (BubbleUPnP Server created) Foobar OpenHome renderer to stream from either the Tidal or Qobuz online streaming services (CD quality free trials available), via the Linn Kazoo OpenHome controller (Windows version available):

Linn ? Software

Incidentally, BubbleUPnP Server & the foo_upnp Fb2k plugin share the same developer, Bubbleguuum.

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox