IGNORED

What Type of Analogue Interconnects Do You Use?

Which type of interconnects do you use?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, which is it?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Well, which is it?

--David

Yet another useless poll that will prove nothing. Haven't we already had enough silly polls recently ?

Balanced vs unbalanced has been debated numerous types before, and it comes down mainly to distance between components and whether professional or domestic use. Both have advantages and disadvantages depending on their use .

The tone of the demanding "well which is it" is not necessary either.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

What should those vote who use both types?

I thought about a third option but then just decided, "The hell with it."

Pick a side or lay out. Makes analysis much easier. :)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Yet another useless poll that will prove nothing. Haven't we already had enough silly polls recently ?

Not really looking for a debate; just was curious to get a feel for the breakdown. Whenever someone says, "Most CA'ers do/don't do such and such," it piques my curiosity.

--David

My guess is that between the too small sample size (<100 responders) and human nature effect that if one side is winning the other is more likely to vote, means you are likely to get a meaningless near tie outcome.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

My guess is that between the too small sample size (<100 responders) and human nature effect that if one side is winning the other is more likely to vote, means you are likely to get a meaningless near tie outcome.

That, and given the fact that most low to medium priced consumer devices still have unbalanced inputs and outputs, and that some that do have balanced outputs have an unbalanced input, with an extra PCB (added complexity) to give a balanced output, makes this Poll a waste of time unless you at least also include those that have unbalanced inputs and balanced outputs in a separate category.

Some DACs for example, simply add an additional PCB to provide the Balanced Output facility.

Even then, only real fanbois of one type over the other are likely to be bothered responding.

Most don't really care as long as it sounds good, and for many with the added balanced input capability, it isn't always used because of the limitations of the source device.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Following the great audiophile tradition I reject your reality and substitute my own. To hell with your poll.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Balanced vs unbalanced has been debated numerous types before, and it comes down mainly to distance between components and whether professional or domestic use.
+1

I agree, especially since you included the word "mainly". Depending on the type of connectors used, however, some RCA interconnect cables provide a relatively poorer physical connection or one that locks on so tight, it becomes a royal pain to remove.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Digital interconnects I do use to carry sound signals:

- AES3 (aka AES/EBU)

- Thunderbolt

- Firewire

Digital interconnects have no loss or coloring, so why would I use analoge? #

# Assuming correct implementation, filtering, buffering, EMC suppression etc.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

This all seemed very straightforward when I posted it.

Glad I don't have to take your dinner order.

"Would you like the French fries or the baked potato?"

Chaos ensues.

--David

I agree with your picks. I also use coax for SPDIF. But prefer AES.

My system does have analog between Dac/crossover/DRC/preamp and the amplifier and it is XLR.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.