IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 2.5 with Tidal

wgscott

Hello Damien,

Just a little bug. It seems that with 2.5, for the last track played, the "Last Play" count is not increased.

Play has stopped, but there is still a small speaker icon next to the track number.

It works fine for all other tracks, just the last one.

Thanks for the report.

You'll get the fix in 2.5.1 I intend to release next week.

I keep for the moment the small speaker icon as it tells where playback will restart.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

It will, in upcoming 2.6 ;)

Don't know if or how this could be done, but something I would love to have in A+ is the option to group/stack different editions or pressings of the same album (without having to call them different discs of a same album). Then I wouldn't need to see my several versions of 'Pet Sounds' on the main A+ screen every time I'm browsing for something to listen to.

tsk!

Don't know if or how this could be done, but something I would love to have in A+ is the option to group/stack different editions or pressings of the same album (without having to call them different discs of a same album). Then I wouldn't need to see my several versions of 'Pet Sounds' on the main A+ screen every time I'm browsing for something to listen to.

tsk!

There are any number of metadata characteristics you can order your list of albums by that will accomplish this. There's sample rate, bit depth, date added, release year (which you might have to edit if more than one version uses the original release year), and I'm sure others I haven't thought of,

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi - newbie here

I have been happily using audirvana for about 6 months now. After trialling the usual suspects Audirvana easily (more or less) was my preferred option (SQ) with my gear - I don't remember it being too hard a decision

when i went from 2.3.3 to 2.4 i preferred 2.3.3 and went back to it.

from memory 2.3.3 had a better sound over all (call it analogue or better balanced across the board and the lower end or something like that)

wondering how users have found is relative to 2.4 and/or 2.3.x in SQ (for own ripped collections)

also it usual to lose playlists when updating?

and am i right in assuming, by using time machine, if 2.5 isn't best for me i can easily go back to 2.3.3?

thanks for any info for a newbie here

peter

There is no offline mode in Audirvana Plus for TIDAL.

My understanding is TIDAL restricts offline mode to portables (iOS/Android) - there is no offline mode on any of the computer-based clients.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Hello Damien and all,

I am a happy user of Audirvana since a while back and had little to no problems with it but version 2.5 gave me a bit of a bad surprise...I can no longer play FLAC-files via USB to my DAC, nor can I stream Tidal through Audirvana.

Interestingly enough, DSD-files play without any hickups.

When using Tidal's own app it streams perfectly via USB.

I tried Decibel to play FLAC and voila, that works.

Has anyone had a similar issue or have any suggestions on what to try?

(I run El Capitan 10.11.4)

Many thanks in advance!

Hi - newbie here

wondering how users have found is relative to 2.4 and/or 2.3.x in SQ (for own ripped collections) also it usual to lose playlists when updating?.... and am i right in assuming, by using time machine, if 2.5 isn't best for me i can easily go back to 2.3.3?

peter

As often mentioned, it can be a good idea to keep older A+ installer files in case you want to go back to a version that worked better for you.

I've found 2.5 to work and sound good to my ears. But it's your ears that matter.

I thought playlists were kept when updating A+ internally. However, some of us wipe the old A+ version before installing the new release from the A+ website - which does wipe playlists too.

You can now save your playlists. Each playlist can be individually exported to a safe place. Then import them as needed through the menu.

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

As often mentioned, it can be a good idea to keep older A+ installer files in case you want to go back to a version that worked better for you.

I've found 2.5 to work and sound good to my ears. But it's your ears that matter.

I thought playlists were kept when updating A+ internally. However, some of us wipe the old A+ version before installing the new release from the A+ website - which does wipe playlists too.

You can now save your playlists. Each playlist can be individually exported to a safe place. Then import them as needed through the menu.

For a novice like myself, how would I save playlists?

You can use the File Menu to both make and 'Export' / save playlists.

Make a folder where you can easily retrieve saved playlists.

It is also possible to 'right click' on playlists to bring up the option to export or edit playlists. (As I do through a VNC app).

Hope that works for you :-)

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

You can use the File Menu to both make and 'Export' / save playlists.

Make a folder where you can easily retrieve saved playlists.

It is also possible to 'right click' on playlists to bring up the option to export or edit playlists. (As I do through a VNC app).

Hope that works for you :-)

Thanks. I'll sus it out.

I know shuffle by album is still a Wish List item. I have since found out that setting no criteria in the Current View under my various playlists does a form of shuffle by album. Damien, is/will it be feasible for the remote to be able to load a playlist in the queue that follows what your view settings are? As it is it is sorted by album name when done through the remote.

Is it possible to import a smart playlist from iTunes?

It is... sort of, even if you are not directly syncing your iTunes library.

I use a Mac app called "Playlist Export" to export a static version of my iTunes playlists, including Smart Playlists, as M3u8 files. Then, I "watch" the iTunes/iTunes Media folder in A+ and manually import or re-import the M3u8 playlists whenever I make significant changes to my library.

If you are using iTunes Library Synchronization you will get everything, of course, including the Smart Playlists.

But, either way, these are static playlists from an A+ point-of-view.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

If you are using iTunes Library Synchronization you will get everything, of course, including the Smart Playlists.

I did not know that.

Thanks. That is the first (and so far, only) good reason I have heard to use that feature. I shall give it a try.

I was determined not to subscribe to Tidal. I thought they were asking too much for the HiFi service. Since there was a voucher in Audirvana+ I decided to at least try it. It didn't work. I reached out to Tidal support and they sorted it out in a matter of hours, no questions asked.

Honestly, I did not expect it to sound *THIS* good. This has me rethinking completely about (re)purchasing hi-res downloads. Yes, the high bitrate downloads do sound better but compared to the huge library offered by Tidal with no storage/archiving/cloud backup headaches, Audirvana+/Tidal is a very seductive solution.

While I've gotten my Tidal account activation sorted out, I've encountered a quirk in sorting Tidal playlists -- the curated ones the company puts together. By default, they're in the order that Tidal's curator puts them in (I presume just like any other playlist). The problem is that if you click on a column heading that sorts them by album or title or track #, which I did without really thinking about it once... there appears to be no way to get the default sort back. Ever.

With your personal library, this behavior isn't (too) problematic, but with curated playlists this is really pretty frustrating. One click, and the sorts for all curated lists seem to be munged forever. If somebody knows of a way to un-mung this short of trashing the A+ application support folder, it'd be appreciated.

(I'm not sure you should be able to sort these playlists by clicking on column headers at all; if you do, though, there should be some way to reset to Tidal's provided order. One could make the argument that no playlists should be sortable this way, since personal playlists are manually sortable by drag-and-drop, and if I spent time carefully ordering a playlist -- which I've certainly done in iTunes in the past -- I wouldn't want an unfortunate click to destroy that order in what seems to be an undoable fashion.)

Life was so much cheaper when I couldn't hear a difference between these things.

While I've gotten my Tidal account activation sorted out, I've encountered a quirk in sorting Tidal playlists -- the curated ones the company puts together. By default, they're in the order that Tidal's curator puts them in (I presume just like any other playlist). The problem is that if you click on a column heading that sorts them by album or title or track #, which I did without really thinking about it once... there appears to be no way to get the default sort back. Ever.

Thanks for the report. Fixed done for upcoming 2.5.1

Damien

PS: 2.5.1 is also bringing PCM upsampling to DSD... ;)

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Plus, you get to help feed a growing family:

kim-kardashian-kanye-west-spring-2016-givenchy-fashion-show-billboard-650.jpg

Is that pattern on her clothing or is it a tattoo?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.