IGNORED

What's your occupation?

Still pounding out code after all these years!

First stereo: Sansui AU-555a and a pair of EV Aristocrats

Chuck Elliot

Emotiva XDA-1

Sony BDPS560 (Bluray)

SA 8300HD DVR (Time Warner)

Onkyo 808 (spot reserved for Emotiva XMC-1)

Emotiva UPA-5

Emotiva UPA-2

Anthem MCA-20 (Sub Amp)

Klipsch Heresy III - L/R

Klipsch Heresy I - C

Klipsch Heresy I - L/R Surrounds

JBL HLS-810 L/R Rear Surrounds

NHT 1259 Subs 2-Homebuilt

and part-time Dark Lord covering Middle Earth every other week-end and, on occasional summer evenings, Bognor Regis. Spend most of my time these days trying to perfect the spell that will switch Neil Young and Paul McCartney off. Turning cow dung into gold was easy, by comparison!

Bought my first 'system' in 1752 - it was a marvelous ensemble of 8 minstrels that had really deep deeps and surprisingly mid mids. Cost a small fortune to keep it going and, frankly, I got a bit fed up with the lute. Still don't like it.

Would love an ice cream but that's the price you pay for eternal life. Ah well - pass the bats-blood biscuits Egor, there's a love.

Anyone see the Canadian Grand Prix? One of the best races I have seen in a while!

It might just as well have been the best F1 race ever ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Banking Supervisor, head of department overseeing the large complex banking groups of the country - well, used to..

Now a freelance banking supervisory consultant and hobby highend gear dealer (doesn't really pay, and distributors are sometimes, well, ...)

Favorite ice-cream? There's a little Italian ice cream shop in the southern part of the city of Berlin only a few people know of.

Netgear NAS -> Sonos/Squeezebox Touch -> Weiss DAC 202/Soulution 540 -> Electrocompaniet EC 4.8 Pre / AW 400 Monoblocks -> Blumenhofer BigFun20; Kubala Sosna Fascination Cables, Oyaide Tunami

Which means I advise the companies at the bottom of this post (and others) on what to do. Usually they don't take it so they come back for more when things go wrong.

I brilliantly dropped working in the computer industry in the 70's for HiFi because the computer industry was boring. It still is and has a lot of rich people working in it. I'm still in consumer electronics and not rich. But I'm enjoying it.

Demian Martin

auraliti http://www.auraliti.com

Constellation Audio http://www.constellationaudio.com

NuForce http://www.nuforce.com

Monster Cable http://www.monstercable.com

I brilliantly dropped working in the computer industry in the 70's for HiFi

Several folks around here and elsewhere are glad you did.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@PeterSt

I am an F1 fanatic. I've been following F1 for about 20 years and have even gone to a few races in Europe. I once bumped into David Coulthard in 2005 right outside my Chelsea flat when he was visiting my next door neighbor.

I agree with you that this last grand prix may have been the best ever. I certainly enjoyed all four hours of it.

Wasn't there a former F1 engineer replying in this thread?

Rob C

Retouching sales rep (= take zits off of super models)

ben & jerry's heath bar is awfully good

Luxman SQ N100 integrated amp - Sonics Anima monitors - MacBook Pro with Amarra player - Wavelength Proton DAC- Oppo BDP 95 universal player - Art Audio cables

...that we're having a little OT diversion here about another favorite hobby.

Big F1 fan as well, first got into it with my (sadly, late) best friend from work. Agree about Montreal, that was amazing, though I was rooting for Vettel. I saw it all and I still have no idea how Button was even on the lead lap, let alone able to win (though multiple safety car intervals will help people make up time on the leader).

Another favorite F1 memory also involves the final lap of a race, Jenson, and a driver I was rooting for at the time, Kimi Raikkonen. Kimi'd flat-spotted his tire, and the constant vibration finally tore the wheel off the car on the final lap. The momentum swung Kimi around backwards and broke the car in half. The image I remember that always makes me laugh because it was so absurd (though I'm sure it was hair-raising for those involved) is the slow-motion replay of Kimi flying backwards in his half a car passing Jenson, who was braking for a corner. Can you imagine what Jenson must have thought for a fraction of a second, watching Kimi pass him as if he were standing still while staring straight back at him? "Hmm, that's the sort of thing you don't see every day."

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hello,

I have been reading Computer Audiophile for a few months now and thought i would jump on board. Good to see other F1 fans here. I have been following F1 since about 2004 and have attended a number of races. I was at the USGP when the big Michelin/Bridgestone tire fiasco happened. It was such chaos that I was able to sneak down to a tree that was right by one of the turns in the infield. I was as close to the track edge as any marshall. That being said their where only 6 cars running but it was cool anyway.

So, my occupation....I worked as a mastering engineer in Nashville throughout the mid and late 90's. When I began to see the direction the industry was going, I opted for a career change and I now work in academic medicine.

I am in the process of re-tooling my home audio system and have found this site both informative and spirited. Thanks to all for the help so far.

My System: McIntosh C47, McIntosh MC152, McIntosh MCT450, Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated, Dynaudio Special 25's, Transparent Super Interconnects and Speaker Cables

I now own and operate a small oil production company.

My main interest is exploring life and writing poetry in a spiritual vein.

Some Time After Morning Coffee??

today, i wondered out loud?

hey, if everything is everything then my everything is

your everything and yours hers and hers God's

and my mind caught fire!

i ran to put it out but by

then my house was on fire!

the fire truck arrived to

the whole block on fire,

then the oil tanks exploded and

the entire mountain was on fire

burning squirrels threw themselves

into mouths of burning wolves

and entire burning families of eagles

plunged in droves like arrows into the ocean

the ocean fire, actually, was the worst,

it roared and thundered and heaved

and lashed at rocket tails

escaping to space by the thousands

these were consumed whole when

earth exploded from the heat —

earths can only take so much heat

and what a crater this one left

an obstinate spot of nothing that

eats black holes like popcorn

I enjoyed the race too. Montreal was always my favourite event. My favourite race there was 1979, a tough race on brakes, tyres and fuel. Plus the car I was running won.

I miss Montreal and Australia most since I retired. I preferred Adelaide to Melbourne. I am looking at the winners trophy for the first Adelaide race in 1985 as I type.

Frank[br]Mac mini, Amarra, Pure vinyl, Resolution Cantata, Metric Halo LIO-8, dCs P8i,DeVialet 800, Goldmund Mim 20/36+/22/29.4, Epilog 1&2[br]Reference Turntable Ortofon Jubilee pickup

"Used to be an audiophile until I discovered that I really liked music more than the equipment."

Nice comment.......something that's probably been forgotten by many an audiophile.

BTW, I'm an Occupational Therapist and Head of Therapy for a private hospital.

Ryan

Surely that must be a very rare thing! Why would anyone go through the time and effort necessary to put together a nice sounding system, if it was not to get to the music?

Do I just have a blind spot about this subject, or does anyone here really consider the fun of putting the gear together more rewarding than the music played on the gear?

(Not judging mind you! Just never really gave that a serious thought before...)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

"Used to be an audiophile until I discovered that I really liked music more than the equipment."

Nice comment.......something that's probably been forgotten by many an audiophile.

I was honestly rather surprised that this might be something - eh- common. Had I inherited great wealth, I might have contrived so that the vast majority of my free time was spent listening to live music, somehow or another. Since I did not inherit such wealth, getting recorded music to sound great (on the cheap, consistent with time, budget, and WAF) is a fun exercise with a very rewarding end.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein