IGNORED

What's your occupation?

Just helping to make the world a better place. ;-)

(Let me hasten to add that I do not work for the managed care area of our company. We do not have 'bean counters' in charge of whether your procedure is covered. I work for the Medicare Supplement area - Medicare pays 80%, we pay 20%, thank-you-very-much.)

Became an audiophile when I broke my mom's favorite china piece in 8th grade. Took a job as a paperboy to pay for it. At the end of the year, miraculously, instead of buying a replacement china piece or putting it in The College Fund that sucked up all other monies before they could touch my fingers, my parents said I could spend my paperboy earnings on whatever I wanted. At that time, the Beatles, Stones, Cream, and the Who were putting out some of their finest work and I was tired of hearing them through my brightly colored plastic GE record player, so I bought my first stereo.

Ice cream: Gelato, made in Italy. It is amazing there, and I've never had anything comparable here.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I brilliantly dropped working in the computer industry in the 70's for HiFi

Several folks around here and elsewhere are glad you did.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

...that we're having a little OT diversion here about another favorite hobby.

Big F1 fan as well, first got into it with my (sadly, late) best friend from work. Agree about Montreal, that was amazing, though I was rooting for Vettel. I saw it all and I still have no idea how Button was even on the lead lap, let alone able to win (though multiple safety car intervals will help people make up time on the leader).

Another favorite F1 memory also involves the final lap of a race, Jenson, and a driver I was rooting for at the time, Kimi Raikkonen. Kimi'd flat-spotted his tire, and the constant vibration finally tore the wheel off the car on the final lap. The momentum swung Kimi around backwards and broke the car in half. The image I remember that always makes me laugh because it was so absurd (though I'm sure it was hair-raising for those involved) is the slow-motion replay of Kimi flying backwards in his half a car passing Jenson, who was braking for a corner. Can you imagine what Jenson must have thought for a fraction of a second, watching Kimi pass him as if he were standing still while staring straight back at him? "Hmm, that's the sort of thing you don't see every day."

• 8 months later...

But I worked at Dutch Shell which was/is a ww organization.

Interesting. In the early 90s I worked on a lawsuit that utilized the services of some Dutch Shell engineers, including thermodynamic explosion/combustion modeling that IIRC took about 3 weeks of computer time on Dutch Shell's fastest machine.

• 3 years later...
1st Career: Asst. General Manager of the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra

Director of Administration and Finance of the Denver Symphony Orchestra

2nd: Executive Director of large law firms

Current: My can't afford to retire gig, Payroll Manager of The Santa Fe Opera

Hang around, moving to the area in 2 years or less.

• 1 year later...
(Odd you didn't spell your specialty correctly.)

I'm willing to forgive that if the profession isn't "English teacher."

Former: double naught spy and brain surgeon

Current: fry cook