IGNORED

Choosing Dynaudio active monitors

talinho

Hi,

Have some of you already listened to the different monitors of the Dynaudio active range ?

For a "hifi" usage (15 sq rt room), I'm hesitating between the different products

- Dynaudio BM5 (the classic studio monitor, requires a DAC)

- Dynaudio LYD5 (the new model, also requires a DAC)

- Dynaudio Xeo 2 (more expensive, with a DAC, or rather a full-digital amplification that also acts as a DAC)

- Dynaudio Excite X14a (more more expensive)

In fact I guess the last 2 models, though more expensive, are also less "professionnal" and more "audio geeks", with a inferior quality/price ratio.

Moreover, I see some risk in investing in a DAC embedded in the speakers, because good speakers may easily last 10 years, whereas DACs evolve very fast.

But I also know that Dynaudio has a very good reputation and I would be kind surprised if Xeo 2 et Excite X14a were actually overpriced regarding "cheaper" BM/LYD monitors. So I guess that there might be actually be a gap in terms of sound quality.

Do you have some advice ?

Thanks !

I did have BM5's for quite a long time as a second system in my almost similar size small listening room. They are great and indeed offer very much value for money, precise imaging, a lot of details, open midrange and smooth highs. They go very deep for their size / volume, but it is not a tight and impactful bass response (which I prefer). But I also found them a bit boring so I recently changed to another system. I can't comment on the other models, no experience.

EAC -> FLAC -> Oyen Digital miniPro 2TB -> USB -> Lenovo ThinkPad X200 WIN XP -> Dirac Live Room Correction Suite -> AlbumPlayer -> Audioquest USB cable -> Hegel H100 DAC & amplifier -> 2.5mm copper -> AVI Trio loudspeakers

I have heard both XEO2, 4 and 6 they really good value. The dsp does a super job of making them sound authoritative but clean while also keeping them linear at all volume levels - even the XEO2.

But I would skip all of the above and go for the Focus xD 200 of your budget allows for it. I had the chance of audition most of Dynaudios range in Skanderborg where they are made.

The Focus xD series sounds just incredible and hits the sweet spot in price to performance. They are quite a step up in performance from models you are considering... Sadly also in price.

Cheers, tyvo

Unfortunately, Focus xD 200 are definetely out of my budget...

Does anybody know about any difference between the LYD series and X14a ?

Both share analog-only inputs, Class D bi-amp, DSP...

I wonder how different they may sound.

I heard the Dynaudio Xeo 6 and it was only plugged into a Chromecast Audio streamer. Pretty much checked all the boxes for me. For the most part we were only streaming the likes of Spotify and Google Music, lossless, but honestly nobody would find anything wrong with it. I'd suppose the CCA also played a part in it, with its full dynamic range setting.

Haven't heard the Excite though.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

I heard the Dynaudio Xeo 6 and it was only plugged into a Chromecast Audio streamer. Pretty much checked all the boxes for me. For the most part we were only streaming the likes of Spotify and Google Music, lossless, but honestly nobody would find anything wrong with it. I'd suppose the CCA also played a part in it, with its full dynamic range setting.

Haven't heard the Excite though.

And have you ever tested the BM series ?

I have heard both XEO2, 4 and 6 they really good value. The dsp does a super job of making them sound authoritative but clean while also keeping them linear at all volume levels - even the XEO2.

But I would skip all of the above and go for the Focus xD 200 of your budget allows for it. I had the chance of audition most of Dynaudios range in Skanderborg where they are made.

The Focus xD series sounds just incredible and hits the sweet spot in price to performance. They are quite a step up in performance from models you are considering... Sadly also in price.

Cheers, tyvo

How does the XEO 2 and 4 compare to each other? I've great things about the XEO 2, especially for its size. I have XEO 3 in a second system and really like them.

Mac Mini w/4TB external HD(minimserver)>NaimUniti 2b w/Naim Power-line>Scansonic MB 2.5>w/Naim NACA5 Speaker Cable

Auralic Aries Mini>Dynaudio XEO 3

And have you ever tested the BM series ?

Nope. Understand that's the professional/studio monitor range.

I've heard the DM 2/6 and DM 2/7.

The Contour remains one of my most favorite, along with the ATC SCM standmounts.

The Xeo series stacks up very well too.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Does any you think that there might be major differences between the listening experience of pro monitor models (BM, LYD...) and "hifi amateurs" models (Xeo...) in terms of stereo wideness/narrowness ?

Pro monitors are usually used at close and very axial positions, I wonder if Xeos etc are more 'user-friendly' regarding the position of the listener (wider stereo zone)

• 2 weeks later...

One of you may have an idea :)

Honestly I'm really hesitating between the "pro" line and the Xeo's.

If Xeo's are not "easier to use" in terms of listening position, I'll go for the LYD, which are cheaper.