IGNORED

Date notation driving me nuts

Sorry.

I just need to get this of my chest. This thread can get deleted.

The archaic date notation of this forum is driving me nut. Who on earth is still using month-day-year? There is 1.5 acceptable ways to write a date:

0.5 day-month year. from small to big

1.0 year-month-day-hours-minutes etc from big to small.

All other ways are just stupid beyond all reason.

[br]

Well maybe except for 300 million people in the USA. For whatever reason we have used month day year and anything else just isn't 'natural'.

We did finally stop using " in the year of our Lord ".

We could use the latest star date system. Today is star date 2016.110 since none of us have to compensate for FTL speeds yet.

While we're at it, should we discuss how some places use a comma where Americans use a decimal in numeric notation? This was uncomfortable to me when working with European engineers.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Sorry.

I just need to get this of my chest. This thread can get deleted.

The archaic date notation of this forum is driving me nut. Who on earth is still using month-day-year? There is 1.5 acceptable ways to write a date:

0.5 day-month year. from small to big

1.0 year-month-day-hours-minutes etc from big to small.

What date notation are you currently using where you live?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

What date notation are you currently using where you live?

day-month-year

However at work I must write the date like this: 19APR16. We are not allowed to use numbers for the months.

If you go into settings and scroll down, you'll see the option to change it.

Thank you, was hoping someone would tell me where to change it.

[br]

Calling half a billion people stupid is not really a great way to start a thread. Besides, it is not stupid: it is a natural translation from written words to numbers.

Personally, I use the ISO date format yyyymmdd. Using ddmmyy is not acceptable, if only because of its ambiguity - you do not know if someone is using that or mmddyy (most of the time, anyway). See:

https://xkcd.com/1179/

A.

As stupid as what virtually everyone I have ever met - and probably you too - answers when asked when they were born? Perhaps you should have left it on your chest. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

However at work I must write the date like this: 19APR16.

Using just two digits for the year also seems "stupid beyond all reason".

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Calling half a billion people stupid is not really a great way to start a thread. Besides, it is not stupid: it is a natural translation from written words to numbers.

Personally, I use the ISO date format yyyymmdd. Using ddmmyy is not acceptable, if only because of its ambiguity - you do not know if someone is using that or mmddyy (most of the time, anyway). See:

https://xkcd.com/1179/

A.

I do support the notion that it is stupid for people to keep using measurements that went out of use decades or centuries ago in most of the world. Whether they be half a billon or not.

Why?

- It is standard in all countries, only US, Myanmar and Liberia have not adopted the metric system (according to the CIA Factbook).

- Lowers cost, as you buy from a standardized worldwide market.

- Makes you competitive, as you sell to a standardized worldwide market.

- Makes equations in science and engineering logic and easy to learn & calculate, thus also implemented in the US.

- It reduces risk, thus even the US military has adopted (most of) it through the NATO STANAGs from the Military Office for Standardization established in London in 1951.

So help yourselves and stop using hp, miles, gallons, inches, psi, am & pm and other outdated measurements.

And YES, you do look stupid in the eyes of the world - sorry.

FYI. The correct way to write a local date & time is: 2016-04-19T17:34:26Z+1

The Z+1 is so that you know it is in the UTC +1 timezone.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

zsh-% date
Tue Apr 19 14:03:17 PDT 2016

My wife says stuff like "the twelfth of the third" and from that I am supposed to get "March 3rd". WTF?

No wonder the Brits lost their most important colony, the war of independence for which began on the nineteenth of the fourth.

zsh-% date
Tue Apr 19 14:03:17 PDT 2016

My wife says stuff like "the twelfth of the third" and from that I am supposed to get "March 3rd". WTF?

No wonder the Brits lost their most important colony, the war of independence for which began on the nineteenth of the fourth.

No, you are supposed to get the 12th of March.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I do support the notion that it is stupid for people to keep using measurements that went out of use decades or centuries ago in most of the world. Whether they be half a billon or not.

Why?

- It is standard in all countries, only US, Myanmar and Liberia have not adopted the metric system (according to the CIA Factbook).

- Lowers cost, as you buy from a standardized worldwide market.

- Makes you competitive, as you sell to a standardized worldwide market.

- Makes equations in science and engineering logic and easy to learn & calculate, thus also implemented in the US.

- It reduces risk, thus even the US military has adopted (most of) it through the NATO STANAGs from the Military Office for Standardization established in London in 1951.

So help yourselves and stop using hp, miles, gallons, inches, psi, am & pm and other outdated measurements.

And YES, you do look stupid in the eyes of the world - sorry.

FYI. The correct way to write a local date & time is: 2016-04-19T17:34:26Z+1

The Z+1 is so that you know it is in the UTC +1 timezone.

Well it is about freedom. Freedom not to be bound by what these other countries deem the way to do things. We don't want to do them that way and we don't have to. If everyone else wishes to go along to get along it reminds me of what my dear old Mom said: "if everyone else stuck their hand into the fire would you too?" I always thought she intended for me to see the right answer was no.

Now please note I get and use and understand the metric system. However another viewpoint on those who don't use it isn't that such people are stupid. It could be the metric system is a dumbed down version of measurement. Any bloke can move the decimal place. Takes a bit more smarts to remember 12 inches per foot, and 5280 feet per mile. Or that you have two cups in a pint, and two pints in a quart, but 4 quarts in a gallon. And that a gallon is 231 cubic inches.

Now buzz off and let me listen to my 2/3 hp per channel into 8 ohms power amps.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

You know what drives me nuts?

People who don't list their location.

If I knew your location, then I would know what date notation to use. I would know if you are running on 50 or 60 hz. I would know if you are 120V or whatever.....

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

You know what drives me nuts?

People who don't list their location.

If I knew your location, then I would know what date notation to use. I would know if you are running on 50 or 60 hz. I would know if you are 120V or whatever.....

+1

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

When I lived in Cambridge, I really noticed this problem, because we have to date our lab books, reagents, and so forth. I found the only way to come with it was to write "19 April 1996" or whatever, i.e., spell out the month explicitly. My wife (from there) has lived here nearly 20 years, and she still can't adjust to it. I doubt I could do any better living in Europe or the rest of the world where they do this. (Kind of makes one wonder how a bunch of Saudis recognized the significance of 9/11.)

When I lived in Cambridge, I really noticed this problem, because we have to date our lab books, reagents, and so forth. I found the only way to come with it was to write "19 April 1996" or whatever, i.e., spell out the month explicitly. My wife (from there) has lived here nearly 20 years, and she still can't adjust to it. I doubt I could do any better living in Europe or the rest of the world where they do this. (Kind of makes one wonder how a bunch of Saudis recognized the significance of 9/11.)

Many people worldwide probably get the 9/11 one wrong ?

Yes like my username - the 911 refers to November 9 (my birthday) NOT September 11.

It just so happens that it also refers to a Porsche that I wouldn't mind owning :)

I thought it was all about the Porsche! By the way, I drove a 911 for the first time over the weekend at the AXPONA audio show. I wouldn't mind owning one either :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I thought it was all about the Porsche! By the way, I drove a 911 for the first time over the weekend at the AXPONA audio show. I wouldn't mind owning one either :~)

I always thought it was a "sign" that my birthday and the car I wanted were aligned and that fate would deliver - unfortunately the financial aspect of the equation is dragging it's heels ;)

Maybe if you'd spent less on audio gear...

The problem is that even if I'd spent $0 on audio gear, I still wouldn't be close. The taxes on "exotic" cars here and Porsche's pricing policy has made sure of that. In 2011 (the last time I seriously looked) a new 911 costed AUD 160k more in Australia than the USA!

BTW - apologies to the OP for drifting off topic.....