IGNORED

iMac or PC

Eddy

Hello,

I all currently using about 4 years old iMac 27" right now. I Need to move my system to other room but this iMac need to stay and will use about 15 years old Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop. Wondering any different in sound quality or any kind of benefit between iMac and Dell PC.

iMac is about 4 yrs old

2.7GHz

Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

OS X Captain

Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop about 15 yrs

2 GHz

Memory 3 GB

Window 7

My iMac had USB static issue before but been fixed with running 5V to DAC from the wall charger.

Dell don't have problem with static from USB

Regards,

Eddy

If you take the time so set everything up properly, you should be able to get good results either way. The one thing that stands out is the age of your laptop. If its really 15 years old, use the Mac.

Four year old iMac vs 15 year old laptop? No question in my mind, use the iMac.

Or just buy a new one.

-Paul

+1. The OP doesn't say, but a 15-year old Windows laptop infers Win XP or older. Old OSes are difficult due to the lack of support for essential modern technologies such as USB 2.0, blu-tooth, etc.

George

+1. The OP doesn't say, but a 15-year old Windows laptop infers Win XP or older. Old OSes are difficult due to the lack of support for essential modern technologies such as USB 2.0, blu-tooth, etc.

Besides which the main electrolytic capacitors in any computer that old are likely to be well and truly near (or past) their use-by date !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I think its time for some glasses.

"Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop about 15 yrs

2 GHz

Memory 3 GB

Window 7"

Besides which the main electrolytic capacitors in any computer that old are likely to be well and truly near (or past) their use-by date !

My experience with modern electrolytics is about 20 years, not 15. But I'm sure that some caps can fail at that age.

Good point!

George

I think its time for some glasses.

"Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop about 15 yrs

2 GHz

Memory 3 GB

Window 7"

Yeah. I missed that. Hard to believe that a 15 yr old 2 GHz computer can actually RUN Win7! It certainly surprised me!

George