IGNORED

Where do you buy headphones?

I live in the Denver area. I have three hi end stores and between them they carry HD800, Nighthawks, and Audeze and that's all. I'd love to hear or buy locally the HiFiMan 560, Mr Speaker Ether and the Oppos. Most Denver stores don't carry headphones at all. I'm reluctant to spend more then $1000 on something I've never even heard. There threads are full of audiophiles talking up these brands. Do you all live in NYC?

Ken Eis

I live in the Denver area. I have three hi end stores and between them they carry HD800, Nighthawks, and Audeze and that's all. I'd love to hear or buy locally the HiFiMan 560, Mr Speaker Ether and the Oppos. Most Denver stores don't carry headphones at all. I'm reluctant to spend more then $1000 on something I've never even heard. There threads are full of audiophiles talking up these brands. Do you all live in NYC?

As soon as you go beyond what they have at the local Guitar Center, it's hard to audition headphones.

I'd recommend you go to Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles and do a search for "Denver." It looks like there is already a group that meets in the Denver/Boulder area. You'd be amazed at the equipment that shows up at meetings like this. Good luck!

2013 MacBook Pro Retina -> {Pure Music | Audirvana} -> {Dragonfly Red v.1} -> AKG K-702 or Sennheiser HD650 headphones.

If you ever take a trip to UK, I can recommend Highend Headphones

Not that this is any help to someone in Denver but may be of help to someone googling who comes across this thread.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

A place like Cable Co has a good library of headphones that you can borrow as long as you buy from them. Oppo offers 30 day returns. Same as Audeze. Mr Speakers is 15 days with 10 percen restocking fee. Places like amazon and BH photo offer 30 day returns.

Drew Baird at Moon Audio let me listen to a bunch of stuff for several hours. But they are in NC in the Raleigh-Durham area. They carry almost everything.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

I've bought 20 or so headphones at the Apple store since 2011. Bought others from Amazon, B&H, Sweetwater Music, OneCall/Huppins, Crutchfield, V-MODA, GradoStore, EdifierStore, Massdrop, ExperienceHeadphones, HiFiHeadphonesUK. Defectives have been very rare, since I never buy grey-market.

Drew Baird at Moon Audio let me listen to a bunch of stuff for several hours. But they are in NC in the Raleigh-Durham area. They carry almost everything.

Moon Audio offers a 30 day return policy, no questions asked, no restocking fee (although you have to pay for shipping).

Not that my Audeze SiNE is going back ...

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Yes, I live in NYC.

Have you considered Audio Alternative in Ft Collins? Its probably the best audio store in CO, and definitely worth the drive. The shops I've been to in Denver were not that great. Someone else mentioned Cable Company. You can't go wrong with them either.

Yes, I live in NYC.

Have you considered Audio Alternative in Ft Collins? Its probably the best audio store in CO, and definitely worth the drive. The shops I've been to in Denver were not that great. Someone else mentioned Cable Company. You can't go wrong with them either.

Yes I love Audio Alternative. They have Audeze which I've auditioned but didn't like. No other options. I've given them a lot of business but headphones seems to be out of most high end stores around here. Cresendo seems the best. They are getting in Mr Speakers Ethers in a few weeks. I can hardly wait.

Ken Eis

Out of the back of a 1987 Chevy Astro Van in San Francisco's Chinatown. It is parked every third Wednesday between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. Great deals on quality name brands. Highly recommended.

The van is covered in grey primer and a features a spray painted mural homage to someone named Traci Lords... I have no idea who that is, but her big blonde hair it makes the van easy to find.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Yes I love Audio Alternative. They have Audeze which I've auditioned but didn't like. No other options. I've given them a lot of business but headphones seems to be out of most high end stores around here. Cresendo seems the best. They are getting in Mr Speakers Ethers in a few weeks. I can hardly wait.

You can always use Cable Company. They can send you a few pairs of headphones to demo. You'll like doing business with them just as much Audio Alternative.

I research most of my headphone buys on Head-Fi. If you can find someone from Head-Fi who lives near you, and has the phones you are interested in, arrange for a play date. Then you can either buy them used on Head-Fi, often at a large discount, or from one of the online dealers mentioned here with a liberal return policy.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

• 4 weeks later...

You order them from Todd The Vinyl Junkie. Best person I have ever dealt with in headphone audio. He offers a 30 day guarantee that allows you to try things out. His selection covers everything, and hes has incredible knowledge about headphone audio. It doesn't get any better than that.

JC

If you ever take a trip to UK, I can recommend Highend Headphones

Not that this is any help to someone in Denver but may be of help to someone googling who comes across this thread.

bought my lcd2 from these guys.

would recommend.

PC(flac/foobar/wasapi)>Ifi Micro Idsd>Headphone correction filter>Garage 1217, Project Ember/Violectric V200>HD800>Old Git