IGNORED

SGC - "Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

I have no problem at all using the microRendu with Roon. However using it in conjunction with HQplayer in NAA mode is often a very tedious process. Trying to get it up and running is a hit or miss process. Today I have tried everything connecting and connecting booting and rebooting on off switches, unplugging and replugging.etc. and absolutely cannot get HQplayer to see my DAC and microRendu. Finally gave up. I've other things to do. Very frustrating indeed.

I have no problem at all using the microRendu with Roon. However using it in conjunction with HQplayer in NAA mode is often a very tedious process. Trying to get it up and running is a hit or miss process. Today I have tried everything connecting and connecting booting and rebooting on off switches, unplugging and replugging.etc. and absolutely cannot get HQplayer to see my DAC and microRendu. Finally gave up. I've other things to do. Very frustrating indeed.

Sorry you are having these issues . I don't have HQ player but I can only imagine it increases the cpu power needed.

I'd love to see a HQ player plugin for Roon instead of the complicated process right now .

This feature has been requested and it is being considered .

Streamlining HQ player would make me a likely purchaser of the plugin .

Sorry if I will say obvious things, but as I am having no problem with Roon + HQPlayer I will coment on this to remind what I did.

- select Hqplayer NAA mode on mRendu

- select Network Audio Adapter on HQPlayer preferences. The dac name should appear in the next box

- check DoP (I have a Lampizator b7)

- Check the Globe on the right side of HQPlayer Menu (letting be controled by network)

- restart mRendu and dac.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

Talked to soon . Nobody else on the network and nothing but cutouts every other song .

I'm ending the experiment .

Will you go back to the iMac and wifi? I'm asking because I've been thinking about going from my present NAS>Win 7 laptop with Roon Core>iFi3.0-iFiDAC2 config. I was considering the SGC sonicTransporter/microRendu. The current set up works very well. I'd keep it except that I'm moving soon and will no longer be able to run a long USB cable to the audio rack.

Given your experience I may rethink the whole thing. I know dropouts can have any number of causes, some unrelated to the equipment being discussed here. But others have also mentioned dropouts. It just makes me a little leery.

Will you go back to the iMac and wifi? I'm asking because I've been thinking about going from my present NAS>Win 7 laptop with Roon Core>iFi3.0-iFiDAC2 config. I was considering the SGC sonicTransporter/microRendu. The current set up works very well. I'd keep it except that I'm moving soon and will no longer be able to run a long USB cable to the audio rack.

Given your experience I may rethink the whole thing. I know dropouts can have any number of causes, some unrelated to the equipment being discussed here. But others have also mentioned dropouts. It just makes me a little leery.

Yeah I'm going back to the iMac and wifi . Disappointed as I thought this would be a convenient solution not keeping my iMac on all the time .

Sorry if I will say obvious things, but as I am having no problem with Roon + HQPlayer I will coment on this to remind what I did.

- select Hqplayer NAA mode on mRendu

- select Network Audio Adapter on HQPlayer preferences. The dac name should appear in the next box

- check DoP (I have a Lampizator b7)

- Check the Globe on the right side of HQPlayer Menu (letting be controled by network)

- restart mRendu and dac.

Thanks. Doing all of the above. It was working fine (sometimes not) and now it doesn't work at all. Will go through everything when I have more time (and patience).

We received an email from Jussi today and subsequently updated NAA on the microRendu.

Please follow this upgrade procedure:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager

2. Now select Update

3. Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices

My goal was to simplify my life and get away from my iMac/iTunes combo and I have converted to the Sonictransporter AP and microRendu running Roon. I couldn't be happier. I had a few glitches initially and Andrew was able to kindly help me. I have not had any problems running Roon. My music library is 3TB and clearly I have a lot of capacity with the STAP as it has an 8TB capacity.

I began my journey looking at music servers and have demoed the Melco, Aurender N100h and the Aurender N10. My favorite in the group was the N10. I am very happy to say that IMO, this setup at least equals the sound quality of the N10. Romaz suggested that I wait for the microRendu before making a decision and was he right!

I am feeding this set up into a Chord Dave with a Luxman M700-u amplifier. I have also had the occasional network drop out but I am trying to correct that by using Blue Jean Cat 6 Ethernet cables to the router, router to switch and switch to microRendu. I have a Netgear 8 port switch so I am interested in what others are using for a switch as well

Has anyone heard from Andrew this week? He seems to be missing in action, I have numerous emails into him describing my ST issues and requesting support with no response. My Roon trial runs out Monday and I don't feel I have given Roon a fair shake due to the intermittent ST issues I am experiencing.

Has anyone else had their ST shut itself down every night? My other issues seem to be with the ST dropping the network connection.

Best,

Ed

As a follow up to my previous post, Andrew and I eventually caught up with each other. Andrew sent a replacement ST, I set it up, it came up immediately. Right from the beginning I could tell this was an improvement, not only in operation but in sound as well. So it appears I recieved a bad unit but Andrew replaced it and the new unit is working flawlessly. I'm really enjoying Roon, it is very responsive now. I played Tidal for several hours without a dropout.

Best,

Ed

• 1 month later...

i was hoping to get a little guidance to make sure I'm correctly setting up my mRendu, SonicTransporter I5 and NAS (containing my music files). Just for a little initial background, I'm running Roon remote on my Macbook air and iphone, have a Synology DS216j NAS storing music files, plan to use the SonicTransporter as a music server, and will connect the mRendu --> DAC-->amp.

After plugging in the SonicTransporter, I was expecting to connect my NAS via USB and it be good to go to serve up my music to Roon. This wasn't quite the case as I can't seem to locate my NAS in the SonicTransporter management web browser page. Could someone give me a step by step of this setup process (or point me to the correct thread on it if its already been done)? Is there something I need to do in Roon to point the SonicTransporter to my NAS? Is a USB connection between the two even necessary? I've looked around the SGC webpage for documentation on the SonicTransporter but wasn't able to locate any.

Also, is there anyone else out there running a setup similar to mine, but also running HQ Player in addition to Roon? If so, what additional hardware would I need to start running HQP?

Thanks in advance for your help!

i was hoping to get a little guidance to make sure I'm correctly setting up my mRendu, SonicTransporter I5 and NAS (containing my music files). J

The NAS is accessed over the network. So you go into the Roon storage configuration (using the Roon app) and add your NAS to the watched folders. That 's all you need to do. No USB required.

HQplayer requires a VERY powerful computer to run on. We sell such a computer if you are interested. But a mac or PC with an i7 and 8GB+ RAM should be good.

Once you have it running you run NAA on the microRendu.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

Hello,

I currently have a mac mini and SonicOrbiterSE based roon setup. QNAP NAS -> MacMini -> SonicOrbiterSE -> Parasound integrated amp (via usb) -> B&W CM10s. I may add a Yggdrasil DAC in between the SOSE and amp, maybe not... Works pretty well, but I'm tinkering.

I'd like to move the mac mini out and onto other duties. I've considered building a linux based NUC, but am leaning toward the sonicTransporter solution since I keep reading there's a touch of magic (or, super focused audio build that I probably don't have the skills to compile in linux on my own).

Two questions:

I have around 15K tracks on the NAS. Can't imagine I'll add 9K more in the near future, but is the only difference between the regular sonicTransporter and the i5 the size of the internal SSD?

I see SGC has a nice package with the ST and the microRendu. Will I get a significant improvement by swapping the SOSE with the microRendu, or are the very close to similar?

Thanks for any insight...

I have around 15K tracks on the NAS. Can't imagine I'll add 9K more in the near future, but is the only difference between the regular sonicTransporter and the i5 the size of the internal SSD?

I see SGC has a nice package with the ST and the microRendu. Will I get a significant improvement by swapping the SOSE with the microRendu, or are the very close to similar?

The standard sonicTransporter has a Celeron processor. I would recommend going with the i5 for the faster processor and larger SSD.

The microRendu should improve your sound quite a bit.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

you could just install minimserver and bubbleupnp server on the QNAP NAS. operate the sose in dlna mode and use linn kazoo or lumin as control points. should work really well and you can take the mini out of the equation.

i'm basically doing the same thing -- my caps v3 is operating just as a render like the sose does.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 4 weeks later...
I have a couple of questions,

1.- Can an user easily install an internal storage drive (HDD or SSD) in the sonicTransporter without voiding the warranty?

2.- Is there an on-line manual/set-up guide for the sonicTransporter available anywhere? Or, is there an set-up guide for the sonicTransporter used in tandem with the uRendu?

TIA,

Hi Jose,

did you get any answer to your questions? I also would like to read the answers to your questions. Or did you get them somewhere else. Let me know.

sonic Transporter; USB-HD; micro Rendu; Ayre QB-9; "The first Dan" integrated Amp; Speakers Napoleone (selfmade with Bauer/Blumenhofer Technology and know how); Roon; most Soundfiles AIFF and "The first Dan" Phonopre; Bauer DPS 2 Turntabble.

Hi Jose,

did you get any answer to your questions? I also would like to read the answers to your questions. Or did you get them somewhere else. Let me know.

Hi macassar,

Thanks for asking. No, I did not get any answer to my questions. Actually it was very dissapointing that they were ignored on the manufacturer's thread. I considered it to be poor pre-sale costumer service and took my business somewhere else.

JoseL

Andrew will provide the official response on this, but my understanding is that the units are meant to work with an external USB drives when no internal storage is provided.

Ok. But i understood JoseL's question because i was asking the same to myself. Also i would like to know how is the leanest way to get new stuff on on the HD via the sonic Transporter. I tried it but obviously i'm too dumb for this. For me it is not that easy. I don't even know what's the best after my listening session. Leaving the sonic transporter always on or shut the power down via the GUI and start it again for the next session on another day. So you see that there are a lot of "simple" questions still open to me.

sonic Transporter; USB-HD; micro Rendu; Ayre QB-9; "The first Dan" integrated Amp; Speakers Napoleone (selfmade with Bauer/Blumenhofer Technology and know how); Roon; most Soundfiles AIFF and "The first Dan" Phonopre; Bauer DPS 2 Turntabble.

Hi macassar,

Thanks for asking. No, I did not get any answer to my questions. Actually it was very dissapointing that they were ignored on the manufacturer's thread. I considered it to be poor pre-sale costumer service and took my business somewhere else.

This not the manufacturer's thread. The sonicTransporter is made by Small Green Computer and this is the Sonore sponsored forum. Andrew only drops in from time to time when I ask him to and it seems I missed your post.

Ok. But i understood JoseL's question because i was asking the same to myself. Also i would like to know how is the leanest way to get new stuff on on the HD via the sonic Transporter. I tried it but obviously i'm too dumb for this. For me it is not that easy. I don't even know what's the best after my listening session. Leaving the sonic transporter always on or shut the power down via the GUI and start it again for the next session on another day. So you see that there are a lot of "simple" questions still open to me.

Whatever storage is mounted is shared on the network so you use Windows Explorer or Mac Finder to drop files in over your network. It's meant to be on all the time so it's ready to use when you are ready to play music. Here is what my unit looks like in Finder:

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 6.44.15 AM.png

This not the manufacturer's thread. The sonicTransporter is made by Small Green Computer and this is the Sonore sponsored forum. Andrew only drops in from time to time when I ask him to and it seems I missed your post.

Hi,

I know that this is a Sonore sponsored forum but this thread in particular was started by agillis. One can only assume that the thread is being monitored by him, particularly if it promotes his product.

I should also say that I did post the questions twice, six days apart.

Thanks,

JoseL

Hi,

I know that this is a Sonore sponsored forum but this thread in particular was started by agillis. One can only assume that the thread is being monitored by him, particularly if it promotes his product.

I should also say that I did post the questions twice, six days apart.

Thanks,

Like I said, "Andrew only drops in from time to time when I ask him to and it seems I missed your post."

Hi I tried connecting My SonicTransporter I5 and my Microrendu unsuccessfully. this is my set up:

I have my modem/router in the basement(Motorola sbg6580) from it I have a 50 feet cat 6 cable to my audio room where I have it go into a Netgear GS108 Switch and connected to that switch I have my Microrendu, the SonicTransport I5 and a desktop computer that is on the other side of the room.

The Microrendu is connected to my DEQX HDP4.

I can access both control panels and everything in them looks fine and the DAC is active and ready.

When I start Roon I can see the Server and it work perfectly but I can't see the MR.

After troubleshooting for a while the Microrendu suddenly showed up but, when I played either Tidal or a Local PCM 96k file it started playing but sounded distorted for like 5 seconds, then it stops and I get a Network communication error and the MR diapered again.

This happened twice I tested a variety of CAT 6-7-8 cables ranging from cheap flat cables to a pair of AQ Vodka and still same issue.

Everything is new including the GS108.

To test the network I connected my macbook to the same router and disable the wifi and connected to my dac and I was able to play jriver and tidal with no issues.

Please Did I overlook something. what it is going on