IGNORED

SGC - "Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

A little off topic but check out Subsonic. I've been using that to stream my music to my phone or any computer from the internet for 5 years now! There is a very good mobile app called Dsub. You can also share your music library with people so they can listen too via a username and password. It even allows you to upload files to your library remotely too.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Now we're on the same page Jud. I'm looking for that door and beating a path. I'd even take something the size of the sonicTransporter or NUC if it could host HQPlayer. I'd also like to stream my library outside of my home LAN and JRiver is the only thing I've found that can do it. The new NUC, as of last month, has the new i7 Kaby Lake processor and is probably the smallest footprint device with good processing power. The problem with the NUC is that it's made by Intel and not with the carefully chosen audiophile hardware of the sonicTransporter, or microRendu. Build a sonicTransporter with the new i7, a fiber NIC and I'm there. I may build it myself.

Now, if the microRendu could be built into that device without there being cross interference, we get to the smallest footprint device capable of hosting the media server and up-sampling. I'm guessing the mRendu is a separate device because it's too hard to isolate the noise interference inside the same case. Is that true Jesus?

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/sonictransporter-roon-server-hqplayer

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

There it is. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

No problem. I am regretting I didn't get it a while back... Still early does with this kind of thing though.

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

There it is. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Andrew did a custom build for me a few years ago. It uses the same case (so same footprint) but has i5 quad core, 60GB SSD, 4GB RAM, Ubuntu Studio & fanless for $1000 (half price from the system listed).

I have been running HQP at DSD256 (native not DoP) and Roon server for about a year now with no issues. At DSD256, all four processors running about 50%.

My music files stored on a NAS.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I actually don't want the packets changed. Well, not unless it makes things sound like the musicians are playing right in front of me. I'm a purist and unless the sound was modified on the A to D conversion, I want to hear the same way it was played by the musicians.

The tiny footprint of the device, providing an ethernet to USB interface is a benefit, and part of the reason I bought it. You still need another computer running the media server however. I take it there's no way to isolate the noise generated from the computer unless it's a completely separate device? The sonicTransporter is the other piece to this and I will assume SGC has put some attention to the components. I would buy the sT if it had a little more under the hood. Any plans to build a custom device like the sT that can host JRiver and HQPlayer, or is that more of a question for Andrew Gillis?

It already exists: https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/sonictransporter-roon-server-hqplayer

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...
Jesus:

Can I install ROCK on my SonicTransporter i5 ?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-optimized-core-kit-previously-reported-as-roon-os/14175/191?u=r1200cl

If it's complied for some specific MB probably not. Also, what would you gain from it?

If it's complied for some specific MB probably not. Also, what would you gain from it?

If I gain better SQ is an open question.

But I would most likely have proper support, sorry to say, but Andrew is very reluctant in helping in both presale and after sale support. This is a fact. Yes, he is very helpful in custom builds.

Just to clarify the above, he does not tell you that his SonicTransporter only supports one SSD interface via USB, nor does he tells you that you can't add internal SSD yourself, as the SonicTransporter i5 only can use one SSD.

Neither is he willing to exchange, (meaning sells me an SSD with preinstalled SW), to a bigger SSD, unless I send the whole unit to the US.

So I will gain better support, I will be able to add extra SSD's, both internal and externally.

And I predict I will get new functions, like virtual switch or wifi support using an USB dongle (not that I like to have, but others may want). I may get support for using an USB Ethernet Dongle

And I know I already can get direct support for using a direct USB connection to my DAC. (Not that I want to)

Hope this answer your question. Still I have to test ROCK myself in order to get my answer.

If I gain better SQ is an open question.

I'm not sure how you arrive at the conclusion that you will get better SQ from one custom Linux OS verses another custom Linux OS. Linux is already open source:)

But I would most likely have proper support, sorry to say, but Andrew is very reluctant in helping in both presale and after sale support. This is a fact. Yes, he is very helpful in custom builds.

That is your opinion and most people will disagree. Maybe it has to do with what you are asking of him.

Just to clarify the above, he does not tell you that his SonicTransporter only supports one SSD interface via USB, nor does he tells you that you can't add internal SSD yourself, as the SonicTransporter i5 only can use one SSD.

It says "USB Drive" as in one drive. It's understood that it's a pre-configured system and you select the internal storage at purchase. It's not a DIY kit.

Neither is he willing to exchange, (meaning sells me an SSD with preinstalled SW), to a bigger SSD, unless I send the whole unit to the US.

It's not his business model to sell SSDs with preinstalled SW.

So I will gain better support, I will be able to add extra SSD's, both internal and externally.

Roon will support you regardless because it's their software. The DIY route has it's benefits and it's issues.

And I predict I will get new functions, like virtual switch or wifi support using an USB dongle (not that I like to have, but others may want). I may get support for using an USB Ethernet Dongle.

Good luck with WiFi. Andrew is already working on the features.

And I know I already can get direct support for using a direct USB connection to my DAC. (Not that I want to)

Hope this answer your question. Still I have ROCK myself in order to get my answer.

I already knew what you were going to say:)

• 2 weeks later...
Jesus

Would you like to test this in a SonicTransporter i5 and tell us if your hardware accepts Rock ?

Roon Knowledge Base - ROCK Install Guide

We have no intention on using ROCK. We have Sonicobiter which has been customizing to fit our needs and we are quite happy with it.

We have no intention on using ROCK. We have Sonicobiter which has been customizing to fit our needs and we are quite happy with it.

I think this you and Andrew in a nutshell. It's your needs, not us the customers [emoji3]

My reason for asking is that I think you probably have better hardware than a noisy NUC, so I thought it may befits both you and your costumers. And nothing wrong said about the SonicOrbiter either.

Anyway I will check myself when times come.

I think this you and Andrew in a nutshell. It's your needs, not us the customers [emoji3]

My reason for asking is that I think you probably have better hardware than a noisy NUC, so I thought it may befits both you and your costumers. And nothing wrong said about the SonicOrbiter either.

Anyway I will check myself when times come.

I find that insulting and a gross misrepresentation.

Tried to install latest Roon build tonight, got message 'issue loading data base' so checked sonicTransporter, shows in Net Analyzer and can ping. sonicorbiter.com opens and Manage screen shows address but otherwise blank. Tried restarting ST got yellow and green LEDs, now yellow, is new prob for me.

rogerdn

Haven't changed anything but tonight ST appears normal, but Roon still not finding microRendu after installing build 208.

Delete Roon. Reinstall Roon.

On MicroRendu use Roon (RAAT) not dnla.

Also on both devices run a SW update if not done already.

And update you controller too [emoji3]

I only switched to DLNA to check other uR modes, will try a reinstall.

After the 1.3 update I had several problems with both my Qnap and SonicTransporter i5

Starting from scratch fixed everything.

On my ST I did install a backup from Qnap, so I did not have to repeat everything.

I have not done any intensive listening but I think the ST is better than the Qnap, which again is better than a W10 (without any tweaking)

Good luck.

If problem still exist, you should get help from Jesus.