IGNORED

SGC - "Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

Thanks Em.

Does this mean you can see the Roon files, and paste / delete folders ?

Yes but don't ask me what to do after that - only because I've never done it ! :-)

I THINK you then you just have to follow Roon's guides on copying over to a new Roon Core/Server (the Roon guides tell you which files/folders you need to copy).

It seems to me that the safest way forward is to attach a USB drive to the sonicTransporter and copy your collection to it. Then let Roon scan it.

Yes, I have more or less figured that out.

Or populate my NAS with SSD's.

Which is why I in another post asked about SQ compared between different sources. Still internal SSD seems to be the best.

And I expect to find a solution with Andrew, I just have to be a bit patient.

Yes, I have more or less figured that out.

Or populate my NAS with SSD's.

Which is why I in another post asked about SQ compared between different sources. Still internal SSD seems to be the best.

And I expect to find a solution with Andrew, I just have to be a bit patient.

Yes, but the point of the sonicTransporter is that is actually has enough power to handle large libraries. Roon is quite demanding as you know.

I can confirm it's 2.5". The reason I mentioned you might have other options is because I initially (like you) wanted to buy the sonicT i5 alone and add an SSD myself (where he confirmed it's 2.5" SSD bay). Andrew had a dealer in my location (Australia) so he gave me the option to send my unit to his local dealer here, instead of sending it halfway across the world to him. I have a good feeling he has a contact closer to you in Europe (UK I think) so you could ask him about that, if you were happy with this option.

I did understand his reasons for not allowing me to self install - warranty etc.

I think have found out why they claim you can't field upgrade your SonicTransporter. On the other hand I think you can, but there is an important condition you would have to fulfill in order to do so.

Just open the 4 screws on the bottom of your device, and you're in for a small surprise [emoji3]

And open a cover should not brake any warranty, except you will reveal their small secret.

I think have found out why they claim you can't field upgrade your SonicTransporter. On the other hand I think you can, but there is an important condition you would have to fulfill in order to do so.

Just open the 4 screws on the bottom of your device, and you're in for a small surprise [emoji3]

And open a cover should not brake any warranty, except you will reveal their small secret.

Secret...really:)

Secret...really:)

How big is the partition you use from the one TB storage to use for Linux, Roon et., and is it the same size on 2 and 4 TB ?

The SSD is very accessible, and easy to swap. Why can't I do this myself ? Meaning I purchase the 1, 2 or 4 TB disk (from SGC) with the same pre-installed image that is already on the one 128 GB I have ?

What is the technical reason to return the entire unit ? The disk should be enough, if needed at all.

I have very little Linux knowledge, but for a windows system, a generic installation will work. Is it different for Linux ?

Can you confirm the two open slots on the motherboard is mSATA interfaces ?

So, where's the CPU? What kind of CPU is it?

Look close at the last pic. Do you see it ?

I have no reason to not believe it's an i5 as stated on SGC website, though I have never checked which version. But I think you can make a quite good guess, based on the power consumption.

My concern is more the reluctance of explaining why the SSD can't be exchanged in the field.

I, as I guess also most others, expected a second SSD to be installed. This is how I understand their website. This is not the case at all.

With a second SSD, you would have to access the OS, in order to implement the new SSD.

Now, this is not the case, as SMC use an unknown space from the "optional" SSD as OS, applications, etc.

I think telling us on the website exactly what you are buying, is not to much to ask, and also adding that access to the OS is restricted (which is OK), and a field upgrade is (normally?) not an option, and the reason behind.

For the domestic marked, I can understand the shipping may not be a huge issue.

But once you go abroad, the cost, time, and not to mention paperwork is a challenge.

I had a fight with US customs that took almost 3 months, and a potential loss of expensive equipment. They returned it, due to a wrong code in documents, and I had to resend.

I think SGC should tell me why I can't purchase a SSD with the preinstalled OS from them without explaining the reason behind, and why I need to return the SonicTransporter as the only option.

Anyone has enough Linux knowledge to tell me that you can't swap HD,s between generic hardware, and why ?

If I have got it right, the same OS is used in the MicroRendu, and I think you can make backup of it, or if needed, have a new card sent to you.

I have emailed Andrew, and he only refers to his website and that he is located in the US, and a short message that he needs the unit.

I'm wondering:

With a good Linux machine, it could be the SonicTransporter HW, a Qnap (Container Station), or "anything"; create one virtual machine for the SonicTransporter, one for the MicroRendu, and maybe one for storage, and possible even one for HQPlayer if you have sufficient HW. Adding a virtual switch.

Is this doable ? Why hasn't it be done, and should one not expect quite good SQ going going in such a direction ?

• 1 month later...

I am having a similar problem. Tried to update Roon on Sonic Transporter. Now when I click on the IP address to manage the Sonic server, I just get a blank page. Cannot log into Roon. Can see the music files on the transporter over the network. Cannot see any network player.

I actually don't want the packets changed. Well, not unless it makes things sound like the musicians are playing right in front of me. I'm a purist and unless the sound was modified on the A to D conversion, I want to hear the same way it was played by the musicians.

The tiny footprint of the device, providing an ethernet to USB interface is a benefit, and part of the reason I bought it. You still need another computer running the media server however. I take it there's no way to isolate the noise generated from the computer unless it's a completely separate device? The sonicTransporter is the other piece to this and I will assume SGC has put some attention to the components. I would buy the sT if it had a little more under the hood. Any plans to build a custom device like the sT that can host JRiver and HQPlayer, or is that more of a question for Andrew Gillis?

JRiver and HQPlayer are very different animals. If you come up with a computer the size of a microRendu that can adequately "host" HQPlayer and some of its more sophisticated filters, the world will beat a path to your door.

HQPlayer "modifies" its input far more than the microRendu is able to do. That is its reason for existence, whereas the microRendu's is *not* to modify. But HQPlayer's "modifications" are done in service of providing you a more accurate picture of what the musicians did in the studio than the chip in your DAC.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I actually don't want the packets changed. Well, not unless it makes things sound like the musicians are playing right in front of me. I'm a purist and unless the sound was modified on the A to D conversion, I want to hear the same way it was played by the musicians.

The tiny footprint of the device, providing an ethernet to USB interface is a benefit, and part of the reason I bought it. You still need another computer running the media server however. I take it there's no way to isolate the noise generated from the computer unless it's a completely separate device? The sonicTransporter is the other piece to this and I will assume SGC has put some attention to the components. I would buy the sT if it had a little more under the hood. Any plans to build a custom device like the sT that can host JRiver and HQPlayer, or is that more of a question for Andrew Gillis?

You might want to explore MQA. The developers of MQA claim that the A/D and D/A process distorts the sound. They also claim they have the fix.

Yes, you still need a server, but not necessarily something dedicated to the task. However, if you want to make something dedicated to task that is also perfectly fine. Andrew at SGC is one of the best computer audio hardware guys around. He has influenced many of the designs in the market present and past. He has a design specifically for JRiver and HQPlayer, but you have to contact him for information because it's not on his website.

JRiver and HQPlayer are very different animals. If you come up with a computer the size of a microRendu that can adequately "host" HQPlayer and some of its more sophisticated filters, the world will beat a path to your door.

Now we're on the same page Jud. I'm looking for that door and beating a path. I'd even take something the size of the sonicTransporter or NUC if it could host HQPlayer. I'd also like to stream my library outside of my home LAN and JRiver is the only thing I've found that can do it. The new NUC, as of last month, has the new i7 Kaby Lake processor and is probably the smallest footprint device with good processing power. The problem with the NUC is that it's made by Intel and not with the carefully chosen audiophile hardware of the sonicTransporter, or microRendu. Build a sonicTransporter with the new i7, a fiber NIC and I'm there. I may build it myself.

Now, if the microRendu could be built into that device without there being cross interference, we get to the smallest footprint device capable of hosting the media server and up-sampling. I'm guessing the mRendu is a separate device because it's too hard to isolate the noise interference inside the same case. Is that true Jesus?

You might want to explore MQA. The developers of MQA claim that the A/D and D/A process distorts the sound. They also claim they have the fix.

Yes, you still need a server, but not necessarily something dedicated to the task. However, if you want to make something dedicated to task that is also perfectly fine. Andrew at SGC is one of the best computer audio hardware guys around. He has influenced many of the designs in the market present and past. He has a design specifically for JRiver and HQPlayer, but you have to contact him for information because it's not on his website.

Thanks, I've reached out to Andrew.

I've been waiting for MQA. It's a slow boat. I've been chatting with Peter Madnick and they've been waiting for the code from MQA over at Audio Alchemy to make the DDP-1 a certified device. I'll likely pick up an MQA device this year if the DDP-1 doesn't get there, but have been waiting for it to mature.

I am having a similar problem. Tried to update Roon on Sonic Transporter. Now when I click on the IP address to manage the Sonic server, I just get a blank page. Cannot log into Roon. Can see the music files on the transporter over the network. Cannot see any network player.

I moved your post here because the issue nothing to do with the microRendu.