IGNORED

SGC - "Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

I had a similar problem when I got my ST but I'm not using attached drives rather a NAS, turned out I was not logged into the NAS, but guessing this might not apply to your attached drives.

Thanks, but you are right: My situation relates to an ATTACHED drive, not a network HD. Andrew has offered to help, so I'll get to see what the problem is and I will report back in case there are others with a similar issue.

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

Thanks, but you are right: My situation relates to an ATTACHED drive, not a network HD. Andrew has offered to help, so I'll get to see what the problem is and I will report back in case there are others with a similar issue.

Andrew remoted in (thanks Andrew) and what we found surprised me. I had the external sT HD cabled with a Curious USB with the 5V link disconnected, since the drive is powered by a JS-2. As it turned out the SonicTransporter only saw the drive and its music when I connected the 5V (which defeats the purpose of having that cable configuration).

Has anyone else ever experienced this with any other cable?

It would be interesting to hear an explanation from Jesus or from Curious Cable.

Source: Intel i3 NUC/fanless/Euphony/Ext SSD) JS-2;

DAC: Mojo Mystique V2/Regen /LPS1.2;Curious USB

Preamp: Music First Audio passive V2/ Morrow cables

Amp: Sanders Electrostatic; Mapleshade power cable

Speakers: Magneplanar 1.7/Hsu vTF2 sub/Room 27x15'  

Misc: eR; extensive anti-vibration; 1.7's on Herbie's footers

Andrew remoted in (thanks Andrew) and what we found surprised me. I had the external sT HD cabled with a Curious USB with the 5V link disconnected, since the drive is powered by a JS-2. As it turned out the SonicTransporter only saw the drive and its music when I connected the 5V (which defeats the purpose of having that cable configuration).

Entirely expected. USB data protocol rely two data lines, +5V and ground. If you use a cable without the power lines, the OS assumes the connection is faulty.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Has anyone else ever experienced this with any other cable?

It would be interesting to hear an explanation from Jesus or from Curious Cable.

Is the VBUS to the drive connected to anything? It was clear from your description.

The VBUS is not only used for power, but also signaling when a connection is made. The official spec says that a device (such as your drive) is not supposed to connect to the bus if the VBUS is absent. Some devices do anyway and will work with the 5V cut. Some won't.

The spec also says that a host (computer) is not supposed to supply power on VBUS until it is ready to accept connections, but MNAY computers violate this and just connect VBUS directly to a power supply. IF you bypass the VBUS from the host and connect the device VBUS to an always on external supply, this may cause a problem if the computer IS turning the VBUS on and off. For example if the computer has VBUS off, powers up, boots up, starts up its USB software, THEN turns on VBUS, it will be looking for devices to connect then. BUT if the device has an always on VBUS it won't see the VBUS turning on so it won't try and connect.

There are strange situations like this that can creep up when you start hacking with the VBUS.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
I spoke with Andrew and these units can only mount a USB drive.

I've bought a sT i5 and I too was expecting to add an internal SSD.

So why is the i5 offered on SGC website with optional internal SSD, and I can't attach one myself ?

I like to be supplied with simple user guide hoe to add a SSD to my i5.

Is everyting ready inside to add the SSD?

Do I open the front or back cover ?

Is any Linux commands needed in order for the system to se my SSD ?

This is the only tread I've found about the Sonic Transporter.

If this is not the place, I could of cause start "Official Sonic Transporter support tread", but I rather see that someone from SGC did.

Also I would expect the best SQ is with an internal SSD.

Hi macassar,

Thanks for asking. No, I did not get any answer to my questions. Actually it was very dissapointing that they were ignored on the manufacturer's thread. I considered it to be poor pre-sale costumer service and took my business somewhere else.

JoseL

Still the same, totally ignored by Andrew and SMC ?

Well I bought mine from Sonore, so hopefully I will get proper help and guidance from Jesus.

I've bought a sT i5 and I too was expecting to add an internal SSD.

It's not a listed feature.

So why is the i5 offered on SGC website with optional internal SSD, and I can't attach one myself ?

The SSD are pre-installed at the factory.

I like to be supplied with simple user guide hoe to add a SSD to my i5.

No. For the reasons listed above.

Is everyting ready inside to add the SSD?

Do I open the front or back cover ?

No. For the reasons listed above.

Is any Linux commands needed in order for the system to se my SSD ?

We do not give Linux command line access for this.

This is the only tread I've found about the Sonic Transporter.

If this is not the place, I could of cause start "Official Sonic Transporter support tread", but I rather see that someone from SGC did.

This post was started by Andrew at SGC. There is some information here and you have Andrews direct line:

MySonicorbiter

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-system-29811/

Also I would expect the best SQ is with an internal SSD.

The SSD is an option because Roon works better with a faster drive on large collections.

JoseL

Well I bought mine from Sonore, so hopefully I will get proper help and guidance from Jesus.

I'm certain if you email Andrew and or call him that he will not ignore anyone. Also, you bought the black Friday sale from SGC.

Hi vortecjr, after a time waiting and thinking about it i decided to put a 1TB USB 3 SSD via USB3 connection to the Sonictransporter. I copied all my music to SSD just with drag and drop. And the sonic effect made me speechless. The soundstage is so much better and has much more air. Wow. So i must recommend to everybody to use an SSD. And i think it doesn't matter if it's inside or outside.

R

sonic Transporter; USB-HD; micro Rendu; Ayre QB-9; "The first Dan" integrated Amp; Speakers Napoleone (selfmade with Bauer/Blumenhofer Technology and know how); Roon; most Soundfiles AIFF and "The first Dan" Phonopre; Bauer DPS 2 Turntabble.

JoseL

Hi R1200CL,

As you can see nothing has changed given the answers from vortecjr to your post above.

I stopped looking, changed plans and took my business somewhere else.

Like you I too wanted to install my own SSD in the sonicTransport that I was planning to purchase.

With all due respect to those involved I think that our ability of self installing and making work an internal SSD (or a HDD for that matter) has been underestimated.

On the other hand perhaps the installation requires both a difficult mechanical take apart and complex command lines that are beyond the abilities of us simple mortals.

Thanks,

JoseL

Hi R1200CL,

As you can see nothing has changed given the answers from vortecjr to your post above.

I stopped looking, changed plans and took my business somewhere else.

Like you I too wanted to install my own SSD in the sonicTransport that I was planning to purchase.

With all due respect to those involved I think that our ability of self installing and making work an internal SSD (or a HDD for that matter) has been underestimated.

On the other hand perhaps the installation requires both a difficult mechanical take apart and complex command lines that are beyond the abilities of us simple mortals.

Thanks,

I've emailed him. Let's see how he responds. There is nothing on SMG website stating you can't add your own SSD. Actually I Tok it for granted I could as long as SMC offers an internal SSD.

That I'm not allowed to mount it, or do Linux command is OK. SGC can just use TemaViewer to my PC, and SSH in.

The UI seems quite OK, and idiot proof :)

Strange though the link Jesus gave me is not available on SGC website. (I think)

Also the price offered for a 1TB seems to be very OK, but I like to add a smaller one like in the $100 to $150 price range. (0,5 TB)

An other thing, it seems that no one yet has verified SQ between internal SSD, a NAS, a Windows server, a USB disk, etc. I wonder why not been discussed or checked.

At at least some guideline from SGC would be nice. And maybe why they think so.

Or maybe no difference. But USB interface is known to be a bit "dirty", so not my first choice. I could be wrong.

I've emailed him. Let's see how he responds. There is nothing on SMG website stating you can't add your own SSD. Actually I Tok it for granted I could as long as SMC offers an internal SSD.

That I'm not allowed to mount it, or do Linux command is OK. SGC can just use TemaViewer to my PC, and SSH in.

The UI seems quite OK, and idiot proof :)

Strange though the link Jesus gave me is not available on SGC website. (I think)

Also the price offered for a 1TB seems to be very OK, but I like to add a smaller one like in the $100 to $150 price range. (0,5 TB)

An other thing, it seems that no one yes has verified SQ between internal SSD, a NAS, a Windows server, a USB disk, etc. I wonder why not been discussed or checked.

At at least some guideline from SGC would be nice. And maybe why they think so.

Or maybe no difference. But USB interface is known to be a bit "dirty", so not my first choice. I could be wrong.

Hi mate, depending on your location, it might be an option to ask Andrew if you can send your sonicT i5 back to him and he will install the SSD for you. He might even have a local contact that can help you. He's quite flexible. But postage costs and the time time without your sonicT might be factors, depending on your location, I do understand. But it's worth asking the question at least. Hope this helps !

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

Hi mate, depending on your location, it might be an option to ask Andrew if you can send your sonicT i5 back to him and he will install the SSD for you. He might even have a local contact that can help you. He's quite flexible. But postage costs and the time time without your sonicT might be factors, depending on your location, I do understand. But it's worth asking the question at least. Hope this helps !

Sent from my Blackberry DTEK50 using Tapatalk

I think not an option. You should be able to see my location.

Close to Santa, and polar bears :)

An other thing; We don't know if SGC use 2,5 SSD or the M.2 version. The sT i5 is very small, so maybe M.2. Anyone can confirm type of SSD used ?

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

I can confirm it's 2.5". The reason I mentioned you might have other options is because I initially (like you) wanted to buy the sonicT i5 alone and add an SSD myself (where he confirmed it's 2.5" SSD bay). Andrew had a dealer in my location (Australia) so he gave me the option to send my unit to his local dealer here, instead of sending it halfway across the world to him. I have a good feeling he has a contact closer to you in Europe (UK I think) so you could ask him about that, if you were happy with this option.

I did understand his reasons for not allowing me to self install - warranty etc.

And the sonic effect made me speechless. The soundstage is so much better and has much more air. Wow. So i must recommend to everybody to use an SSD. And i think it doesn't matter if it's inside or outside.

R

Thanks for sharing this.

How was your music stored before ?

If anyone have done tests for SQ on the sT based on where music is stored, I like to hear.

NAS (disk or SSD) vs internal SSD

Windows PC/server vs Internal SSD

USB 2.0 disk vs internal SSD

USB 3.0 disk vs internal SSD

(..as I assume internal SSD is the best) :)

Have anyone experience with moving your Roon server to the sT ?

Can it be done, or is this something not supported by SGC ?

Any user guide exist ?

My Roon is currently on a Qnap NAS. Music on a windows R2008 server.

And why do I want to move my Roon database ? What do I loose by starting from scratch? Or should I ask this in the Roon forum maybe :)

Any user guide exist ?

And why do I want to move my Roon database ? What do I loose by starting from scratch? Or should I ask this in the Roon forum maybe :)

This is guide I made for using Roon on the Sonicorbiter operating system:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-system-29811/

For specific questions about what is best you may want to ask Roon directly.

Any user guide exist ?

I just had a look at my sonicT on my Mac and you don't have access to the Roon Server database like you do on a Mac/PC or NAS running Roon Server. Not that I can see anyway.

First instance I would ask Andrew but if it's not him, then he might then direct you to Roon Support (who are also fantastic).

EDIT: inside the sonicOrbiter OS settings I can now see that you can "expose" your Roon Database but there is a warning to be careful, for obvious reasons. I still think check with Andrew first but then Roon Support.

This is guide I made for using Roon on the Sonicorbiter operating system:

For specific questions about what is best you may want to ask Roon directly.

I'm aware of the guide. But it does not say anything about moving your existing Roon Server / setup to the SonicTransporter.

Can you confirm is not possible ?

(Or make a guide how to do )

EDIT: inside the sonicOrbiter OS settings I can now see that you can "expose" your Roon Database but there is a warning to be careful, for obvious reasons. I still think check with Andrew first but then Roon Support.

Thanks Em.

Does this mean you can see the Roon files, and paste / delete folders ?