IGNORED

SGC - "Roonify" your USB drive or NAS with the sonicTransporter

Will the sonicTransporter integrate with the following equipment in order to utilize Roon?

QNAP NAS with music storage connected via LAN switch

Sonore Signature Series Rendu connected via LAN switch

PS Audio DirectStream connected via I2S to Rendu

I don't think the SSR is RoonReady (i.e., works as a Roon endpoint), so likely not a good choice if you want to run Roon. The microRendu is RoonReady, so that would be a good choice for what you're contemplating. The microRendu only has USB out, so that's what you'd need to connect to the DirectStream. Alternatively, at some point you could add the Bridge II to the DirectStream. The Bridge II has Ethernet in and would take the place of the mR (which of course isn't especially appropriate for this thread). :) Note that the mR is RoonReady now and the Bridge II is supposed to be RoonReady via a firmware update "real soon now."

Would I just order the basic sonicTransporter and connect via the LAN switch?

Would this eliminate the need to run MinimServer and BubbleUPnP?

Or does the Roon control APP still need these?

If you have a Roon-compatible setup, you won't need MinimServer or BubbleUPnP. Just Roon Server on the sonicTransporter, a RoonReady endpoint (or another computer that can run RoonBridge), and a control point (which could be a Mac, Windows, or Linux desktop computer, or a Roon-compatible Android or iOS tablet) running Roon Remote. You could also use a Roon-compatible phone as a control point, but currently, the iPhone app has limited functionality … and I'm not sure about the Android phone app.

Basically, in this kind of Roon setup, everything hangs off the LAN (with the control point either hard-wired or connected via WiFi), and the DAC attaches directly to the Roon endpoint.

I'd strongly recommend that you download the Roon trial to see how much you like Roon before you start investing in a Roon-optimized setup. I love it, but it's clearly not for everyone.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Thanks for the information.

I suspected that it would not be the work around for Roon.

For the time being I will just leave things as they are.

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s

I've got the sonic transporter, microRendu, and Roon lifetime membership. When it works it's sweet, but that's not often. Started out with a Raspberry Pi 2, while waiting for microrendu. Initially lots of issues with Roon mis-identifying albums, etc. Got that sorted (more or less with adjustment of my expectations). Also experienced some weird volume fluctuations & panning between speakers. Got that sorted by changed the Pi's OS. also got the 0,1 in the sonicorbiter GUI for my Schiit Gungnir multibit DAC. Then the microRendu arrived. Sounded sweet until it started skipping tracks, stuttering, etc. Thinking the router might be a bottleneck, I switched all audio related gear from the Router to my switch (Zyxel GS-108B v2 gigbit). That helped but still can't get thru an album without at least one skip. The U-verse tech came today, gave me a new router, & tested my network finding it good. Thought my switch might be the issue so I thought I'd try music from a usb plugged directly into the sonic orbiter. UI can mount the drive, but can't find the files. Emailed Andrew, who suggested he remotely access my system. That sounded like the best chance to fix my issues, but Andrew's been silent for over an hour now. I know he's only one guy, I'm sure he's trying is best, but . . . Maybe this stuff isn't ready for prime-time. Maybe my computer skills aren't up to the task. In any case I trashed Memorial day weekend, many nights & now dinner with my son with no resolution in sight. Maybe this will all work out, but at this point I kinda wish I would've saved my money & stuck with the Pi & free Runeaudio.

I mounted my system yesterday with:

- Sonic Transporter with an usb stored attached

- macbook pro with HQPlayer

- micro rendu attached to Lampi b7 dac

- apple Airport Extreme router

The system runs easier if I use roon server on Sonictransporter directly to micro rendu. I have some issues, like dropouts, big clicks when changing songs, but it works.

if I try it as HQPLAYER NAA than I have no music playing, and I can see in my iPad on roon remote the message: "Transport: cannot connect to HQPlayer".

on my mac HQPlayer sees microrendu and the dac. The problem seems to be that Roon is not connecting to HQPlayer.

Any suggestion?

P.S. When I play roon + HQPlayer from my mac, without sonic transporter, it works great, SQ amazing with microRendu still burning in.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

I mounted my system yesterday with:

- Sonic Transporter with an usb stored attached

- macbook pro with HQPlayer

- micro rendu attached to Lampi b7 dac

- apple Airport Extreme router

The system runs easier if I use roon server on Sonictransporter directly to micro rendu. I have some issues, like dropouts, big clicks when changing songs, but it works.

if I try it as HQPLAYER NAA than I have no music playing, and I can see in my iPad on roon remote the message: "Transport: cannot connect to HQPlayer".

on my mac HQPlayer sees microrendu and the dac. The problem seems to be that Roon is not connecting to HQPlayer.

Any suggestion?

P.S. When I play roon + HQPlayer from my mac, without sonic transporter, it works great, SQ amazing with microRendu still burning in.

If your sonicTransporter is scanning a large library things can be a bit unstable for a while. Go to Settings / Setup in Roon and turn Off Background Audio Analysis Speed and On Demand Audio Analysis Speed. Get this playing correctly. If you are still having issues contact Andrew for additional support.

If your sonicTransporter is scanning a large library things can be a bit unstable for a while. Go to Settings / Setup in Roon and turn Off Background Audio Analysis Speed and On Demand Audio Analysis Speed. Get this playing correctly. If you are still having issues contact Andrew for additional support.

Thank you very much, Jesus. I will disable this settings on Roon.

about Andrew, I did contact him yesterday. He answered me that this is a problem about HQplayer and he has no way to help me on this. I should try to connect Hqplayer.

it seems to be a Roon - HQPlayer connection using different computers.

My MacBook is playing Roon+HQPlayer + microRendu greatly. And it will improve as microRendu will burn in. Now it is better than Macbook+ Regen.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

I can't find that anywhere. Can you post a screen shot?

I think @Joaovieira is referring to the rightmost button in HQPlayer's toolbar — Allow control from network. (The icon looks like a terrestrial globe.)

I find that sometimes this button seems to deselect itself. It may happen when HQP is running and the SOSE or mR is powered down — haven't quite figured out exactly what causes the deselection.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I like simplicity A LOT!...[emoji6]

So - for simplicity, and best SQ, I'd like taking this route:

Connecting my existing external HDD to the SonicTransporter.

SonicTransporter and external HDD placed right beside my router - Apple Airport Extreme.

The MicroRendu placed next to my USB to SPDIF converter - Sonicweld Diverter HR. And of course connected to this.

The MicroRendu should the be connected to my router (by wire).

All set up!...

Then my concern is - need a bulletproof sollution for automatic Backup?...

Best Regards

Carsten S Christensen

Then my concern is - need a bulletproof sollution for automatic Backup?...

from someone who have lost a lot of music files in the past, yes you do...hdd's fail sometimes.

Would be simple to add a nice apple time capsule or a NAS for backup, attached to the same router. NAS is more "open" to manage, especially something like Synology.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from Andrew this week? He seems to be missing in action, I have numerous emails into him describing my ST issues and requesting support with no response. My Roon trial runs out Monday and I don't feel I have given Roon a fair shake due to the intermittent ST issues I am experiencing.

Has anyone else had their ST shut itself down every night? My other issues seem to be with the ST dropping the network connection.

Best,

Ed

Has anyone heard from Andrew this week? He seems to be missing in action, I have numerous emails into him describing my ST issues and requesting support with no response. My Roon trial runs out Monday and I don't feel I have given Roon a fair shake due to the intermittent ST issues I am experiencing.

Has anyone else had their ST shut itself down every night? My other issues seem to be with the ST dropping the network connection.

Best,

Ed

I received my ST yesterday and I have had dropouts , stuttering off and on . It doesn't matter if I play Tidal by itself or a mix of the attached hard drive and Tidal ( Radio feature ) .

I have zero issues playing Roon from my iMac to my Auralic Aries and that's wireless . The ST is of course wired .

I just had a dropout when I used the Roon Remote to add a playlist .

I have fast internet 200/12 Mbps

I am now using a Gigabit switch for both the ST and the Auralic Aries .

Nobody else right now is even on my network .

Hmm .

By the way , the ST sounds better feeding the Aries than my iMac wirelessly .

I'll try to answer a few questions from CA member posts.

1. This sonicTransporter is wired Ethernet only, not wifi. You would typically put it with your NAS or near your router if you don't have a NAS. It has one Ethernet port to connect to your router. Your NAS and the microRendu will also connect to your router via Ethernet. Buy a gig switch ($20) if you run out of ports on your router.

2. I wouldn't worry about power or location of the sonicTransporter. Save your exotic linear supply for the microRendu!

3. The sonicTransporter has Roon Server ready to go. All you need is your Roon account and password and your music collection on a NAS or USB drive

4. Some people are getting Roon Core to run on a NAS. But you need an Enterprise grade NAS, a lot of Memory, and some SSD for your Roon database. Much cheaper and easier to just get a sonicTransporter. Also this takes the CPU load of Roon Server off your NAS.

5. The sonicTransporter is a Roon Server (also a DLNA server, squeezebox server, and server for Sonos). It's not a player. You still need a Sonicorbiter SE, microRendu, or other RoonReady network DAC or player.

I think I already know the answer but I'll ask anyway: Is the sonicTransporter able to run HQ Player? It doesn't seem as though it has the required CPU to do it without issues. It's not a deal breaker for me anyway. It looks like the sonicTransporter and the microRendu are the components I need. I have an iPad Air I'll use for Roon Remote. Simple, clean and affordable.

I think I already know the answer but I'll ask anyway: Is the sonicTransporter able to run HQ Player? It doesn't seem as though it has the required CPU to do it without issues. It's not a deal breaker for me anyway. It looks like the sonicTransporter and the microRendu are the components I need. I have an iPad Air I'll use for Roon Remote. Simple, clean and affordable.

I don't think there is anyway in hell that St can play HQ without issues . I'm not using it and I have cutouts.

My ST>mR combo have been online for a full 4 weeks today. I have had a few instances of dropouts but very few. There can be different reasons for this problem. Fortunately mine have been minimal.

No way that a wired connection should be having any dropouts on a fast internet service . I can play

Roon wirelessly from my iMac to Aries with zero dropouts but I can't use a wired ST with a wired Aries without a decent number of cutouts ?

It tells me the ST doesn't have the juice to run Roon . I have even stopped background analysis and still get the occasional dropout .

At times I went to load a playlist and got an immediate cutout . Not enough cpu it seems to me .

Really don't think I will keep the ST unless this improves . I am moving the ST to a different section of my network . I have my fingers crossed .

I have about 17 k tracks , within the library limit recommended on the website .

No way that a wired connection should be having any dropouts on a fast internet service . I can play

Roon wirelessly from my iMac to Aries with zero dropouts but I can't use a wired ST with a wired Aries without a decent number of cutouts ?

It tells me the ST doesn't have the juice to run Roon . I have even stopped background analysis and still get the occasional dropout .

At times I went to load a playlist and got an immediate cutout . Not enough cpu it seems to me .

Really don't think I will keep the ST unless this improves . I am moving the ST to a different section of my network . I have my fingers crossed .

I have about 17 k tracks , within the library limit recommended on the website .

Using it successfully w/47K tracks.

Best,

Ed

Yes mine has shut down a couple times, and I lose my NAS library if I change modes and it takes several days to fully reload....groan.... but have not had network drops that I know of. Andrew told me to return mine for replacement. Never had these issues with Roon on a basic laptop.

rogerdn

Well I moved the Sonic Transporter and instead of using a gigabit Ethernet switch I connected the ST directly to my Apple Extreme router .

Performance is significantly improved and I have played for an hour without a single cutout . Tracks are queuing much faster and I am running background analysis too .

My only conclusion I can make is the ST does not like Ethernet switches (unmanaged) .

Audio quality is also better than going through the Ethernet switch . I have no idea why .

Well I moved the Sonic Transporter and instead of using a gigabit Ethernet switch I connected the ST directly to my Apple Extreme router .

Performance is significantly improved and I have played for an hour without a single cutout . Tracks are queuing much faster and I am running background analysis too .

My only conclusion I can make is the ST does not like Ethernet switches (unmanaged) .

Audio quality is also better than going through the Ethernet switch . I have no idea why .

Mine is direct to my Extreme also.

rogerdn

Mine is direct to my Extreme also.

I tried two different gigabit Ethernet switches and the ST had cutouts maybe every 5-8 th song .

Now connected directly to the Apple Extreme (newest model ) I am having very consistent play .