IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

I hadn't noticed you have the Mutec. It seems to be similar in function to the tx-USB.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

9 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Thank you both for valuable suggestion.  I have looked into TX-USB ultra.  I see the option of output of clock at the resistence of 75 ohm.  Since I mentioned I have MUTEC USB 3+ which can take an external clock at 75 ohm rating, I wonder if I can use TX-USB ultra as an external clock.  The connection will likely to be server-Ethernet cable-SMS200-USB cable -TX USB ultra - USB cable - MUTEC USB 3+ - AES/EBU cable - DAC, with a parallel connection using BNC to connect TX USB extra with MUTEC 3+‘ as an external clock input.  The key question is if TX USB 10mHz clock output will be accepted by MUTEC USB 3+?

Thank you in advance.

TX-USB Ultra optional clock connector IS NOT an output but an input!

The same for your MUTEC USB 3+.

So you would need a 10Mhz external Master Clock for both SOtM TX-USB Ultra and Mutec.

56 minutes ago, roberto2 said:

So you would need a 10Mhz external Master Clock for both SOtM TX-USB Ultra and Mutec.

Thank you for the clarification.  I read more background information about TX-USB Ultra and finally understood it.  Since there are several vendors selling 10MHz clock, including MUTEC as well SotM, I am wondering if the resistances are matched, any vender’s Master Clock at 10MHz should work, correct?

Thank you in advance.  :)

This is driving me insane. Different sound quality streaming from Roon updates.  

My system Windows enterprise running Roon only i7 pc

End point via Cat 6 Sms-200 ultra/Meridian director DAC &LPS Sbooster

Up to Roon 1.7 (Build 536) all sounded good

Roon 1.7 (Build 537) sounded slightly muffled with reduced high frequency 

Roon 1.7 (Build 555) sound excellent again.

Roon 1.7 (Build 571) sounds the same as (Build 537) slightly muffled with reduced high frequency.

Anyone here experiencing the same problems?

I’m going to scrap Roon altogether and try to set up (Eunhasu Music Player) for my media collection on a nas and tidal. Any one kindly enough to explain to me how I can achieve this on my SMS-200?

Hi, 

I was all set to purchase the tx-USBUltra, however I have not yet bought a network player. I was just going to buy a cheap Allo unit. However, I just came across the SOtM SMS200 Ultra Neo. 

In terms of sheer sound quality, which will be the best?

1) SMS200Ultra Neo SE  alone

2) basic network player + tx-USBultra SE

Thanks. 

On 6/20/2020 at 3:16 PM, MGX-UK said:

This is driving me insane. Different sound quality streaming from Roon updates.  

My system Windows enterprise running Roon only i7 pc

End point via Cat 6 Sms-200 ultra/Meridian director DAC &LPS Sbooster

Up to Roon 1.7 (Build 536) all sounded good

Roon 1.7 (Build 537) sounded slightly muffled with reduced high frequency 

Roon 1.7 (Build 555) sound excellent again.

Roon 1.7 (Build 571) sounds the same as (Build 537) slightly muffled with reduced high frequency.

Anyone here experiencing the same problems?

I’m going to scrap Roon altogether and try to set up (Eunhasu Music Player) for my media collection on a nas and tidal. Any one kindly enough to explain to me how I can achieve this on my SMS-200?

Hi,

If I understand correctly I think you will need:-

a music(data) server;

a music (data) store;

a device+software to control the server;

a network to connect the server to your sms200+DAC.

You probably know all this, but I put it in for clarity!

I use :

a Raspberry Pi4 running piCoreplayer 6 as my server;

a 2Tb hard disk in a mains-powered caddy as my store - this connects to the Rpi4 via USB;

a laptop (but mobile would work) running a web browser, and also foobar2000, as the controller.

The Rpi4 connects to the rest of the network, including the sms200, via Cat5 and a simple switch.

Picoreplayer on the Rpi4 includes Logitech Media Server (LMS), which I access via the browser. LMS sees the copy of Squeezelite that I run on the sms200, and also sees the music store (which is configured as NTFS and is seen by the server over SMB).

Foobar on the laptop also sees the sms200 when that is running MPD/DLNA, and sees the music store as a mapped network drive. I use foobar/MPD to see/hear any differences with Squeezelite, and also because it makes me update the tags on the music!

This setup also gives me access to my Sonos.

The costs were pretty low - £50 for the rpi4 + case, £30 for the hard disk caddy - the hard drive was effectively free - £20/£30 for some 16gb cards for the Rpi4.

This setup will not do all that Roon does, and may not provide the quality that some versions of Roon have given you, but it is very stable, and not expensive to trial.

The overall music quality is OK to me, and is probably limited by my listening room and my ears, so although I will continue to make small changes it would need a large dollop of cash to get much improvement.

HTH to answer part of your query.

19 minutes ago, 5-pot-fan said:

Hi,

If I understand correctly I think you will need:-

a music(data) server;

a music (data) store;

a device+software to control the server;

a network to connect the server to your sms200+DAC.

You probably know all this, but I put it in for clarity!

I use :

a Raspberry Pi4 running piCoreplayer 6 as my server;

a 2Tb hard disk in a mains-powered caddy as my store - this connects to the Rpi4 via USB;

a laptop (but mobile would work) running a web browser, and also foobar2000, as the controller.

The Rpi4 connects to the rest of the network, including the sms200, via Cat5 and a simple switch.

Picoreplayer on the Rpi4 includes Logitech Media Server (LMS), which I access via the browser. LMS sees the copy of Squeezelite that I run on the sms200, and also sees the music store (which is configured as NTFS and is seen by the server over SMB).

Foobar on the laptop also sees the sms200 when that is running MPD/DLNA, and sees the music store as a mapped network drive. I use foobar/MPD to see/hear any differences with Squeezelite, and also because it makes me update the tags on the music!

This setup also gives me access to my Sonos.

The costs were pretty low - £50 for the rpi4 + case, £30 for the hard disk caddy - the hard drive was effectively free - £20/£30 for some 16gb cards for the Rpi4.

This setup will not do all that Roon does, and may not provide the quality that some versions of Roon have given you, but it is very stable, and not expensive to trial.

The overall music quality is OK to me, and is probably limited by my listening room and my ears, so although I will continue to make small changes it would need a large dollop of cash to get much improvement.

HTH to answer part of your query.

Thank you so much for giving me such a great detailed instructions. I'll do my best to follow them and test the system in that way.... 

Someone is also going to give me instructions how to implement MPD with a USB attached 3Tb hard drive in a caddy to hold my library.  Then control it using an app called "Soundirok".

So I should try both and compere 

I also have USB hard drive at hand & also Synology Nas..... 

Many thanks once again for the trouble. 

On 6/22/2020 at 6:08 PM, MGX-UK said:

Thank you so much for giving me such a great detailed instructions. I'll do my best to follow them and test the system in that way.... 

Someone is also going to give me instructions how to implement MPD with a USB attached 3Tb hard drive in a caddy to hold my library.  Then control it using an app called "Soundirok".

So I should try both and compere 

I also have USB hard drive at hand & also Synology Nas..... 

Many thanks once again for the trouble. 

This is the system I use and I can highly recommend this setup.

It's an easy and simple system to manage and it sounds fantastic.

On 6/20/2020 at 8:56 AM, roberto2 said:

The TxUSB Ultra can have a clock output.  One of mine has it.  You can specify clock in / out and 50 or 75 ohms.  I run the clock output to a modified switch clock input.  I think you have to spend $$$ to get a good clock to improve on the Ultra’s clock.  I also have outputs for USB clock from the Tx. 

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

The TxUSB Ultra can have a clock output.  One of mine has it.  You can specify clock in / out and 50 or 75 ohms.  I run the clock output to a modified switch clock input.  I think you have to spend $$$ to get a good clock to improve on the Ultra’s clock.  I also have outputs for USB clock from the Tx. 

Hi, I am a bit confused here, the other person mentioned the clock of TX-USB Ultra is for input only.  How to differentiate here.  Nice to see you here again and listen on your insight on clock.  @Solstice380

5 hours ago, tedwoods said:

Both the tX-USBultra and the sMS-200ultra can accept either clock inputs (via BNC) or have extra clock outputs (via SMB connectors).

@tedwoodsThank you for your detailed explanation.  Given what you described here, I assume I can use sMS 200 Ultra as a Master Clock, and can use SMB connection or SMB to BNC connection to synchronize TX-USB ultra, and DAC with clock input along the digital signal stream.    Or use TX-USB ultra as a master clock to synchronize DAC at digital signal down stream and sMS 200 Ultra at digital signal upstream.

Of course, ideally, I can use the more advanced M10 Clock to synchronize, sMS 200, TX-USB extra and a DAC with clock input.

Thank you for the advice!

1 hour ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Of course, ideally, I can use the more advanced M10 Clock to synchronize, sMS 200, TX-USB extra and a DAC with clock input.

I think you are getting the hang of this.  😎

Unless you are shaving the last $ off of your investment, the Ultra versions of the SOtM units slaved to the M10 clock would be the tops.  Well worth the incremental $ and better than the standard versions.  A master clock improves the resident clock.  It doesn’t replace the resident clocks.   As @tedwoods described, the Ultra versions have better clocks than std. and so will perform better when slaved.

Again, incremental improvement, system dependent, excellent clock cables turn out to be wicked expensive and highly variable.  I think having the clocks internal and close to the action is a solid engineering approach.  I’m completely satisfied with just the Ultra clocks and do hear an improvement using the clocked switch.

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

I think having the clocks internal and close to the action is a solid engineering approach.  I’m completely satisfied with just the Ultra clocks and do hear an improvement using the clocked switch.

@Solstice380The current set-up is sMS 200 (std) connected to MUTEC USB 3+ to a R2R DAC.  I realized that without MUTEC USB 3+, even given the significant SQ improvement of recent firmware upgrades from SotM, as well as HQPlayer, by taking out the MUTEC USB 3+ from the chain, the SQ degraded significantly.  Just wonder what I can do to further improve the SQ.

2 hours ago, edwardsean said:

What is the max sample rate on the SMS200? I've seen varying specs of 384 and 768. Was it changed over time by firmware or hardware?

Interesting. I wasn't the spec had changed. From the SOtM sits"

• PCM 32bit/768KHz max, DSDx512 max

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

On 6/24/2020 at 5:58 AM, edwardsean said:

What is the max sample rate on the SMS200? I've seen varying specs of 384 and 768. Was it changed over time by firmware or hardware?

I have an original SMS-200, with no Neo upgrade. It would never properly play DSD512 from Roon into my ifi iDSD Black Label. It would always lose connection. But with the update to Eunhasu 04.91, DSD512 plays fine (knock on wood). Nothing else changed. YMMV, but this is a pleasant surprise.

18 hours ago, edwardsean said:

Thanks Rob!

Were you playing files from over network or from internal SMS200 USB attached drive?

Did you ever try PCM768?

Network, with the files being upsampled by Roon. 768 never worked before—I’d just get static—but I was able to play a song straight through just now.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone here able to start HQPlayer NAA on their SMS200 Ultra (Neo)?
I can get roon working fine, but clicking "Start HQPlayer NAA" just leads to an infinite loading circle, and if I refresh the page its as if I never clicked it at all. Cannot for the life of me get this working

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara