IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Firmware 4.91 now available

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

On 5/5/2020 at 7:30 AM, Abyss Man said:

Guys, if anyone is using a master clock for their sms I strongly recommend getting the soTm BNC. I’m using 1x 50 ohm soTm and 3x 75 ohm Tellurium Silver Diamond cables. 

Just received my 50 ohm cable and you have to hear it. Love it.

Hi, curious what master clock do you use.  Do you have to use the master clock from made by SotM or master clock from other vendors are possible options as well?

I was running 4.9v on my SoTM SMS200 Ultra and updated a few minutes ago to 4.91v. All went well and I rebooted the system when done.

After the reboot finished I reloaded Eunhasu and clicked on the config "gears" icon to be sure nothing was different. There it said I was running 4.90v and not 4.91v.

So, I brought up the Update page again and it shows 4.91 available and says I'm running 4.90v.

I'm rerunning the upgrade to see what's happening.

OK, the second time it went fine again only this time it now says I'm at 4.91v. I'm not sure what happened that first time. I had no issues either time I applied the update. I don't know if this was limited to me or if it is a recurring issue for others. Perhaps everyone should check the version number AFTER updated to 4.91v.

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

9 hours ago, Mahler and Bach on Computer said:

Hi, curious what master clock do you use.  Do you have to use the master clock from made by SotM or master clock from other vendors are possible options as well?

Hi Mahler,

I'm using a soTm master clock which is apparently is not as good as a Mutec master clock. Well everyone has their own pair of ears and for me I love my soTm. In fact my digital front is all soTm including the ethernet cables with ISO blocks. There are dozens of cables out there, each with their own pros and cons. As for me, I'm a happy bunny and that's all that matters. Happy listening.

Oh ya and to answer your question, yes u can use other options such as the Mutec, but be sure to match the cables acoordingly, either 50 or 75ohm.

9 hours ago, creativepart said:

I was running 4.9v on my SoTM SMS200 Ultra and updated a few minutes ago to 4.91v. All went well and I rebooted the system when done.

After the reboot finished I reloaded Eunhasu and clicked on the config "gears" icon to be sure nothing was different. There it said I was running 4.90v and not 4.91v.

So, I brought up the Update page again and it shows 4.91 available and says I'm running 4.90v.

I'm rerunning the upgrade to see what's happening.

OK, the second time it went fine again only this time it now says I'm at 4.91v. I'm not sure what happened that first time. I had no issues either time I applied the update. I don't know if this was limited to me or if it is a recurring issue for others. Perhaps everyone should check the version number AFTER updated to 4.91v.

I saw from this forum that 4.91 was available, so ran it and the kernel check  - all successful on the first pass, and the correct versions are displayed in config.

I also decided to read the change log and saw that I needed to uninstall and reinstall both MPD and LMS/Squeezelite to update these, which I did without problems.

SQ remains unchanged and good (to my ears). I would still like some other system upgrades (a subwoofer, better power supplies, etc) - but I suspect we all suffer from upgradeitis!

7 hours ago, 5-pot-fan said:

I also decided to read the change log and saw that I needed to uninstall and reinstall both MPD and LMS/Squeezelite to update these, which I did without problems.

According to the update log, you don't need uninstall/install the individual programs yourself. It is done automatically as part of the update.

System config page
– Upgraded below apps by uninstalling and installing in Eunhasu
-> Logitech Media Server to the version 7.9.3
-> MPD to the version 0.21.21
-> Upmpdcli(DLNA renderer) to the version 1.4.7
-> HQplayer NAA to the version 4.1.1
-> Shairport to the version 3.3.5
-> LibreSpot to the version 1.1.0
-> BubbleUPnP Server to the version 0.9.update37

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

1 minute ago, audiobomber said:

According to the update log, you don't need uninstall/install the individual programs yourself. It is done automatically as part of the update.

System config page

After the update to 4.91 I checked the MPD version that was still 0.21.15

Uninstalled manually MPD and reinstalled and then the MPD version was 0.21.21

Therefore it seems the services upgrade must be done manually

Stefano

My audio system

58 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

After the update to 4.91 I checked the MPD version that was still 0.21.15

Uninstalled manually MPD and reinstalled and then the MPD version was 0.21.21

Therefore it seems the services upgrade must be done manually

Sorry, you and 5-pot-fan are correct, MPD has not been updated. I assume we can expect 4.92 shortly.

How did you know you needed to do this? Did you check the version? It's never been required before and should have been done with 4.91. Roon Ready updated properly, MPD & DLNA did not.

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

Sorry, you and 5-pot-fan are correct, MPD has not been updated. I assume we can expect 4.92 shortly.

How did you know you needed to do this? Did you check the version? It's never been required before and should have been done with 4.91. Roon Ready updated properly, MPD & DLNA did not.

After reading @5-pot-fan post I checked MPD version and change log again, I’m using MPD on my sms-200.

I agree with you that this is the first time we had to do this manually, but.... there is always a first time ..... what really matters is that everything is running fine.

Stefano

My audio system

3 hours ago, audiobomber said:

System config page

Hi,

I thought that was the case, also, but I checked the version numbers of LMS/Squeezelite and MPD after the main update to 4.91 and they had not changed from the older versions. On re-reading the changelog I think it means that these services are to be updated individually, by uninstalling and re-installing them as separate actions.

This is what happened for me, anyway. After doing so they showed the updated version numbers, so I felt my interpretation was the right one.

Does anyone else have experience on this, or could SoTM advise which approach is correct?

24 minutes ago, 5-pot-fan said:

Does anyone else have experience on this, or could SoTM advise which approach is correct?

I have owned the sms-200 for several years through numerous FW updates. Never have I seen an update that required me to finish it by myself. I did have to uninstall and install MPD/DLNA as you posted, but IMO this is an error in the firmware and will be corrected shortly. It is fairly common that a second and even third update almost immediately follows the first. That's what I expect will happen now. MPD/DLNA should have been automatically updated in 4.91. 

@may.park hasn't been active on this site for awhile. I will email to ensure they know about the firmware omission.

2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

I have owned the sms-200 for several years through numerous FW updates. Never have I seen an update that required me to finish it by myself. I did have to uninstall and install MPD/DLNA as you posted, but IMO this is an error in the firmware and will be corrected shortly. It is fairly common that a second and even third update almost immediately follows the first. That's what I expect will happen now. MPD/DLNA should have been automatically updated in 4.91. 

@may.park hasn't been active on this site for awhile. I will email to ensure they know about the firmware omission.

Manual install has been done before for NAA.

After the 4.9 auto update I have uninstalled and re-installed  MPD/DLNA and NAA to the new versions.

17 hours ago, Abyss Man said:

Hi Mahler,

I'm using a soTm master clock which is apparently is not as good as a Mutec master clock. Well everyone has their own pair of ears and for me I love my soTm. In fact my digital front is all soTm including the ethernet cables with ISO blocks. There are dozens of cables out there, each with their own pros and cons. As for me, I'm a happy bunny and that's all that matters. Happy listening.

Oh ya and to answer your question, yes u can use other options such as the Mutec, but be sure to match the cables acoordingly, either 50 or 75ohm.

Thank you @Abyss Man.  I will feel more confident on looking at different brands of clock.

This is an enquiry which arises from curiosity rather than an inability to fix it myself. Whenever I upgrade eunhasu on my Ultra and reboot it, the next time I go into eunhasu I have lost the standard desktop and I see the attached screen. Roon still plays perfectly hence eunhasu I assume is still functioning properly, however, the only way I can restore the desktop is to switch off my SPS 500 and hence the Ultra, leave them for a couple of minutes & then it re-appears. Anyone know how to fix this please ?

387141649_IMG_20200507_2057159721.thumb.jpg.f6e1c49ece687d9c12f1f6cb95827ffe.jpg

3 hours ago, Jean Plum said:

This is an enquiry which arises from curiosity rather than an inability to fix it myself. Whenever I upgrade eunhasu on my Ultra and reboot it, the next time I go into eunhasu I have lost the standard desktop and I see the attached screen. Roon still plays perfectly hence eunhasu I assume is still functioning properly, however, the only way I can restore the desktop is to switch off my SPS 500 and hence the Ultra, leave them for a couple of minutes & then it re-appears. Anyone know how to fix this please ?

387141649_IMG_20200507_2057159721.thumb.jpg.f6e1c49ece687d9c12f1f6cb95827ffe.jpg

When the firmware is updated and the unit reboots it can sometimes be assigned a new TCP/IP address by your router.  I had this problem much more than friends with different routers so I suspect that is the cause.  I have fixed it by giving the SMS-200 a static TCP/IP address in the router setup.  You can do it in Eunhasu as well but I preferred to use the router settings instead.

Never had a problem since!

I'm a but late to the party here...   I was running V04.7 and only got around to updating last weekend, so I made the multi step jump from V04.7 straight to V04.9.

In my case I use Roon / HQPlayer, and so I note that I am both getting SOtM firmware updates and an update to the HQPlayer NAA Daemon to 4.1.1.

In the week I was listening to some very familiar music, and I have to say that for whatever reason (NAA or SOtM firmware, I have essentially changed both at once), this update has produced a very welcome improvement to the sound.  It is difficult to say exactly what has changed, but what I am particularly noticing is an increase in the coherence of the overall presentation, which is somehow delivering more detail but in a very natural sounding way.  It is hard to describe, but it is not so much an increase in clarity, in that crisp "hifi" kind of way that can ultimately be quite fatiguing, but more a more natural sound and one that is more resolved.  A lot of waffle there, but however I am trying to describe this, I like it a lot.  A very nice little increment in sound quality that equates directly to the enjoyment of the music  I am very pleased with this one!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

10 hours ago, ClothEars said:

When the firmware is updated and the unit reboots it can sometimes be assigned a new TCP/IP address by your router.  I had this problem much more than friends with different routers so I suspect that is the cause.  I have fixed it by giving the SMS-200 a static TCP/IP address in the router setup.  You can do it in Eunhasu as well but I preferred to use the router settings instead.

Never had a problem since!

Thanks

My sms-200 is unstable and unusable at this point. Plays a song or two, stops, sometimes I can play another song, sometimes the queue disappears. Firmware and MPD/DLNA are current versions.

My other streamers, Chromecast Audio and Raspberry Pi3B+ are working fine; same wi-fi system, same music controllers. I am in correspondence with May.

14 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

My sms-200 is unstable and unusable at this point. Plays a song or two, stops, sometimes I can play another song, sometimes the queue disappears. Firmware and MPD/DLNA are current versions.

My other streamers, Chromecast Audio and Raspberry Pi3B+ are working fine; same wi-fi system, same music controllers. I am in correspondence with May.

Which control point are you using?

Stefano

My audio system

1 minute ago, stefano_mbp said:

Which control point are you using?

I've been using QNAP Music Station and QMusic exclusively for over three years, the entire time I've owned the sms-200.

8 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I've been using QNAP Music Station and QMusic exclusively for over three years, the entire time I've owned the sms-200.

Have you tried to burn from start a new micro sd card? 

If you need to burn a new card there is no 4.91 download available, afaik, but from here (chapter 1.3)

https://www.docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image

you can download the 4.70 version then you can update to 4.91

Stefano

My audio system

17 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

Have you tried to burn from start a new micro sd card? 

If you need to burn a new card there is no 4.91 download available, afaik, but from here (chapter 1.3)

https://www.docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image

you can download the 4.70 version then you can update to 4.91

Yes, good idea. I have done this successfully in the past when I experienced a similar issue. Will start again with 4.70. Frustrating that you have to do the updates successively, can take awhile.

I always keep a spare card with a previous stable version on it. I believe it has 4.86 now. I don't want to update the spare card before I have another stable firmware.