IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

My audio PC has been off all week.  I started it up this weekend and hence needed to load Eunhasu.  I selected "My Eunhasu", which was showing an IP address ending .0.38, this would not connect to Eunhasu.  This is hardly surprising, because checking with Fing he sMS-200ultra has an IP address ending .0.8., not .038.  But it does beg the question, why does "My Eunhasu" show an IP address ending .0.38 in the first place?

OK - I then tried entering the IP address directly, no problem, I know what the IP address is.  This did not work either.  Next up, I tried a hard reboot on the sMS, entering exactly the same IP address in exactly the same way, and Eunhasu connects and works just fine.  

"My Eunhasu" used to work without issue.  I am finding this current behavior a little puzzling.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On 2/13/2019 at 6:40 PM, Solstice380 said:

I tried 4.5.6 again.  Fresh D/L, new 16GB and verified burn.   Eunhasu seemed more responsive than the previous 4.5.x, the 200Ultra shut down from Eunhasu correctly a couple times, didn’t a couple times, wouldn’t Restart from there at all, but did NOT have the panicked light.  OK I had hope... that was dashed from there.

I use the HQP NAA. (please remember to note which app you guys are messing with, thanks!)  Since at least back to the 4.5.x you are required to install NAA and read the EULA.  It took a couple tries to get it installed and up and running, then HQP connected to the 200 without issue.   OK, getting somewhere.  Unfortunately, the pops and ticks are still there every couple of seconds.   Random throughout the soundstage and randomly timed.  

It has been this way for me since 4.22.  Originally, my 200 came with 4.0.  It decided to corrupt its own microSD card so it was sent back to Crux.  When returned it had 4.22 and the pops and ticks.  I reported that back to Crux but NEVER got a reply.  I then installed 4.0 that was still on the “burn image” webpage and all was good.  It is one year since then, and every update has had issues for me. Always back to the 4.0 card and all is fine.

Since 4.0 works perfectly, I don’t believe there is an issue with the dCS S32-LE interface format.  I have a NUC NAA running a HQP NAA Linux image without issues.  So what could it be?  Is it possible they are having issues keeping the image size under 8GB so it fits on the original cards?  You can barely find 8GB cards anymore, so I’ve been using 16s.  

I think it it might not be the best show for SOtM at AXPONA this year.

My latest experience with Eunhasu OS update to 4.56 from 4.22 

Latest update on connecting the SMSL VM D1 Dac to SOTM SM200 Ultra Neo: 

Loaded 4.56 Eunhasu OS from SOTM audio document download site.

Burnt into a new 16gb microsd and swapped out the 4.22 OS microsd.

Powered up and pressed the Setup Configuration symbol under the HQPlayer NAA mode.

It asked if you want to install the HQ NAA. Press Yes. 

I waited and the HQ NAA mode became Active.

Just to be sure, I powered down and powered up again.

This did 2 things. SOTM must have added the new settings under XMOS USD latest settings as indicated by @guiltyboxswapper. I emailed support at SMSL and their reply was also to send me a link to download the latest plug - in for Linux. But it may work for a Endpoint running linux but does not work for the SOTM SM200 Ultra series.

Now I power up the HQPlayer Server. Hey presto! The SOTM SM200 Ultra Neo shows up linked to the USB Gen 2 DAC under NAA.

Under Settings, DSD mode shows up as NATIVE!!!

Dsd 256/512 all available (i think for 48k sample rate too.- I have to double check)

I press play DSD 512 - Stutters. Alright - My system is underpowered for a NAA mode for this. 
So I select DSD 256 for either 44.1 or 48k - Plays OK
BUT stuttering is evident and seems to be worse at the beginning of the first track. Seems to stabilize as the music plays on. I will need to do extended testing to verify this.

SQ is good. I have not done 4.22 to 4.56 comparison so hard to say. But to have my new SMSL VM D1 Dac on DSD Native was a relief.

Will study the stuttering problem in closer detail. Will try different filter and demodulator combinations to see if it can be eliminated.

Happy Listening

@kelvinwsy Thanks for the update. Yes, the pops, or skipping, are the issue for my SMS-200 with NAA.  I don’t have those with the prepared Linux bootable from Miska on my NUC.  I’ve had the issue since 4.22.  Luckily, when the issue appeared with 4.22 there was still a 4.0 on the website.  That works perfectly for me with no pops, no flashing lights and fast Eunhasu response.  

I have yet to contact SOtM directly.  I’m in the middle of a little kitchen renovation project.  So right now I’ll live with the SQ of 4.0 and the reliability.  😜

I have  contacted my local SOTM agent ! Gave him a1 month ultimatum ! Sort this OS Issue or they risk losing all their users to the NUC Endpoint crowd ! I said I will too will jump ship ., Actually i hv a Cherry Trail and also a 8650u minipcs as And I Endpoints and I do hv AL Ramroot as well as Jussi's bootable Linux NAA

SOTM just  dont get it ! They continue to piss off their loyal customers WHO wont remain customers very much longer on this OS issue whuch had Dragged on since.4.22!!! 

I need the new OS to hv Native DSD512 for my SMSL VMD1 DAC which uses  the latest XMOS USB board 🤨 

But what is the point of seeing it in the HQplayer Settings when it pops so bad that it is unusable

Damn SOTM !! I an fedup with their SCREWUPS

On 3/12/2019 at 9:29 AM, kelvinwsy said:

Gave him a1 month ultimatum !

oh - I was in touch with SOtM last week. According to what has been communicated to me - 4.57 is will be release soon. I think 1 month is too long a wait especially when librespot is broken now; Spotify changed something in the backend again. SOtM will need to update librespot asap.

@kelvinwsy - I do have similar problems and SOtM replied that they'll add my device id to enable native DSD playback. Newer devices need to be added in the kernel to enable DSD playback - else the player will just convert DSD stream to PCM. I recently got a DDC (Gustard U16) to output digital stream from the Ultra Neo into i2S signal. DSD streams get converted into PCM in the DCC and thereafter to my DAC. As my dac can just do up to PCM 386 - DSD higher than 128 will not play well when converted to PCM, i.e. Stutters, cracks and pops. 

One observation which I think is interesting - I've another friend who is using Ultra Neo together with the txUSB. He has exactly the same DDC (Gustard U16) and has no problem with DSD playback. I do think txUSB does not discriminate its output with regards to the receiving device. On the other hand - the Ultra Neo will ensure that device receiving its signal is DSD compatible (aka listed in the kernel) - else will convert any DSD stream to PCM. Just sharing some random speculation......  

I have a sotm 200 and usually I use iOS Lumin app to play Tidal.

I tried BubbleUnP android's app in my wife's phone, which as two render options, one with the "Sotm 200" and another "Sotm 200(OpenHome)", with the later(OpenHome) the sound quality is much better compared to Lumin app. 

I'm doing something wrong using Lumin app to stream Tidal? There is some hidden config?

When using Tidal, there is a way of Sotm "pull" the song from the internet, or it can only act as a media renderer?

3 hours ago, lasker98 said:

So much for 4.57 and Squeezelite. I installed my 4.56 sd card and did the upgrade to 4.57 through Eunhasu. Even streaming Radio Paradise at 320 kbps I had almost immediate stuttering. Back to 4.22 card.

What a fricking joke this has become.

The only way to stop Squeezelite from stuttering  with FW 4.56 is to quadruple buffer time, buffer size, and period count, and then restart  the smS-200 (stop and restart  the app is not enough).

1 hour ago, aslg said:

The only way to stop Squeezelite from stuttering  with FW 4.56 is to quadruple buffer time, buffer size, and period count, and then restart  the smS-200 (stop and restart  the app is not enough).

Based on what I've tried, which was up to:

Buffer Time=320 (4.22=30)

Internal Buffer=32768 (4.22=4096)

Period Count=32 (4.22=3)

as well as restarting

I have to disagree. You can see the settings tried went far beyond quadrupling.

Why is it so difficult for SOTM to sort out OS update versions. I switch my NAA frim my Ultra Neo to a 8650u minipc and i can now do HQ NAA flawlessly up to DSD512 24.4Mhz (yes the 48k family ) on my Hqplayer PC /NVda 970 filters ASDM7 + Dsd512 on polysinc xtr-2s 

I cannot understand this At All!

Hi all, there should be a kernel update alongside fw4.57. I havent got the time to update the kernel but suspects that it plays an important role in this update. Alternatively we can wait for the full image with the updated kernel. I think I’m gonna wait. 

4 hours ago, lasker98 said:

Based on what I've tried, which was up to:

Buffer Time=320 (4.22=30)

Internal Buffer=32768 (4.22=4096)

Period Count=32 (4.22=3)

as well as restarting

I have to disagree. You can see the settings tried went far beyond quadrupling.

My Squeezelite app on both FW 4.22 and 4.56 has different default config values than yours (not sure way, could they be DAC dependent?)

• Buffer time: 40
  • Internal buffer: 4096
  • Period count: 4

With these default values Squeezelite on FW 4.56 stutters.

If I quadruple these default values:

• Buffer time: 160
  • Internal buffer: 16384
  • Period count: 16

FW 4.56 does not stutter anymore.
You use double values than mine: does your FW 4.56 stutter with these values?

3 hours ago, SYM said:

Hi all, there should be a kernel update alongside fw4.57. I havent got the time to update the kernel but suspects that it plays an important role in this update. Alternatively we can wait for the full image with the updated kernel. I think I’m gonna wait. 

The news release from SOtM says that the Kernal Check is not required updating from version 4.56 to version 4.57.

They also recommend using 1000Base-T for any updating then change to 100Base-T for operation as it apparently sounds better.

I am running MPD without any problems or stuttering.

7 minutes ago, ClothEars said:

The news release from SOtM says that the Kernal Check is not required updating from version 4.56 to version 4.57.

Oh. I am very surprised to hear that. May told me via email 2 weeks back that the kernel needs to be updated. And mentioned that 4.57 will be released soon. Hmmm

1 hour ago, SYM said:

Oh. I am very surprised to hear that. May told me via email 2 weeks back that the kernel needs to be updated. And mentioned that 4.57 will be released soon. Hmmm

I don’t know whether it would cause any harm - I don’t think so, but given the release problems lately I’m hesitant to do anything that might upset the apple cart!

Hello!
Yesterday I tried to update, on the main page of Eunhasu I see a yellow arrow under the System Setup icon, happy to go inside, and there are no any updates. Post on SOTM's site now - "Eunhasu FW ver.4.57 will be updated soon!". Removed for refinement?

I downloaded the latest update and installed it and all went fine, but when I tried to shut down the sotm using the browser control it doesn't shut down I tried many times but to no avail. This problem was present with last few updates but wasn't a problem with the earlier updates so can you please fix.