IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

20 hours ago, xwollsock said:

Thanks for the info, very nice!  That's certainly another reason for seriously considering ROON, even if it means installing another computer in the living room cabinet...  

Before I get too excited: Can this be done on-the-fly, while playing music?

I'd be inclined to do it to a copy of the files themselves in an editor such as Audacity rather than need or want a player to do it.

On 2/7/2019 at 10:36 PM, xwollsock said:

Has anybody noticed: in version 0.4.56 (if not earlier) it is possible to play dsd 64 files that have been compressed by wavpack, at least via MPD and DOP.  I haven't tried dsd 128 files yet. I use a Lyngdorf TDAI 2170, which apparently does not accept native dsd (maybe the other Lyngdorf user afrancois can confirm this) with an SOtM sMS 200 Ultra Neo.  (I do use Room Perfect, as my listening room has various deficiencies, which the system compensates for very nicely.) Wavpack compression seems to more than halve the size of the files I've tried.

After successfully updating to version 0.4.40 a while ago, I had various problems starting at 0.4.50 which I mentioned to May, together with the suggestion to look into compressed dsd files.  Fortunatley 0.4.56 works again for me.  I do have the blinking light, though, but will try what happens when I close the eunhasu tab in the notebooks's browser.    

I used the following page to play with the MPD settings: https://linux.die.net/man/5/mpd.conf

Initially I had used Squeezelite (coming from Daphile), but I always found the interface rather clumsy.  While at first I had occasional stutter on compressed dsd files, now this seems to have stopped, but I still need to play with the parameters some more.

Would somebode else be interested in a button for flipping the polarity (NOT shifting the phase!)  in MPD?  Several record labels are known for consistently inverting the polarity of their recordings (e.g. Chesky), others are hit and miss.  Moreover, wrong polarity seems to be advantageous when using headphones, to prevent unpleasant localization of voices or instruments in your head, as it adds diffusion.  Some amps have hardare buttons to switch the polarity (e.g. the Tact Millenium).  Certain speakers, in particular 3-way systems, seem mask the effect as they  intentionally flip the polarity of one of the frequency ranges.   On "straight" systems, however, the effect is quite obvious.  Consider one stroke of a bass drum.  The membrane of your speaker should first move outward, rather than inward.  Daphile eventually got such an option upon my request, however burried deep in the menus.  I've also asked the Moode developer; he claims that is can be done quite easily by means of alsa in MPD, but has other priorities at the moment.  (The Raspberry Pi with Moode is intended for a differernt room anyway, but for the time being has been hooked up in parallel with the sMS 200.)  I have no experience with Roon, is this option available there?

Hi, I have an upgraded Lyngdorf DPA-1 pre amp and a Lyngdorf Millenium MKIV amplifier. Those cerainly can’t do DSD. The Millenium keeps amazing me. It doesn’t show its age at all, in fact I sold my 2170 + sda-2400 and got two of these instead. The Second Millenium is for the subwoofers.

On 2/5/2019 at 3:56 PM, ClothEars said:

I downloaded the latest version of the firmware (V4.5.6) and installed it onto a new microSD card.

Now when I use MPD or Squeezelite I get glitching and breakup.  I also cannot play DSD (via DoP) without serious glitching.

Somehow I don't think the firmware problems are solved.  In the meantime I'm putting the V4.2.2 card back in so I can enjoy the music.

I decided to burn a new micro SD card with V4.56 and installed it and find it is now working without glitches.  I still can't reboot the unit via Eunhasu but everything else seems OK.  I also found the green activity light was constantly flashing (about every second) and was quite annoying.  Also, when Eunhasu was opened in a browser, the activity light went into overdrive like it was very busy doing something even though nothing was being done in Eunhasu.  The only way to reduce the activity was to make sure I did not have Eunhasu running anywhere.

So I decided to deselect "Sync Mode Mount" in the library settings and hey presto no more flashing activity light.  Now when I open Eunhasu there is a flurry of activity for a short time then the light goes quiet just like it used to.  I would be interested to know if other users find the same outcome after deselecting "Sync Mode Mount".

14 hours ago, ClothEars said:

So I decided to deselect "Sync Mode Mount" in the library settings and hey presto no more flashing activity light.  Now when I open Eunhasu there is a flurry of activity for a short time then the light goes quiet just like it used to.  I would be interested to know if other users find the same outcome after deselecting "Sync Mode Mount".

Thanks for this cool observation. It seems to work for me, too.

What is the function of the “Sync Mode Mount”?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

12 minutes ago, Confused said:

What is the function of the “Sync Mode Mount”?

I'm not sure, but I started getting dropouts in Roon, so I reenabled Sync Mode Mount and none since. This all might be IT goblins, but for sure following ClothEars' advice stopped the flickering when my sms 200ultra was not in use.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:10 AM, ronfint said:

I'm not sure, but I started getting dropouts in Roon, so I reenabled Sync Mode Mount and none since. This all might be IT goblins, but for sure following ClothEars' advice stopped the flickering when my sms 200ultra was not in use.

I think the IT goblins are certainly at play here.  On Monday I booted up the SMS-200 after deselecting "Sync Mode Mount" the previous day and got the flashing activity light again so back to square one.  I then selected "Sync Mode Mount" again and when it booted up today I have no more flashing activity light - go figure!!!!   :S

Actually the blinking light is not so much of a problem if it does't impact the player overtime.

Most of the time - blinking indicates cpu activities.

If the player is constantly operating in "active mode" even if its not playing (ie cpu constantly under stress) - who know what will happen in the long run.

A user here reported that he has this blinking light since last year and the player works fine and he is not bothered by it. That's fine. However it is also a legit question for SOtM whether the blinking light is the "norm" for the newer firmware - ie 4.5X onwards. 

@may.park, will you be able to help with this question and put this matter to rest? Thank you so much

I tried 4.5.6 again.  Fresh D/L, new 16GB and verified burn.   Eunhasu seemed more responsive than the previous 4.5.x, the 200Ultra shut down from Eunhasu correctly a couple times, didn’t a couple times, wouldn’t Restart from there at all, but did NOT have the panicked light.  OK I had hope... that was dashed from there.

I use the HQP NAA. (please remember to note which app you guys are messing with, thanks!)  Since at least back to the 4.5.x you are required to install NAA and read the EULA.  It took a couple tries to get it installed and up and running, then HQP connected to the 200 without issue.   OK, getting somewhere.  Unfortunately, the pops and ticks are still there every couple of seconds.   Random throughout the soundstage and randomly timed.  

It has been this way for me since 4.22.  Originally, my 200 came with 4.0.  It decided to corrupt its own microSD card so it was sent back to Crux.  When returned it had 4.22 and the pops and ticks.  I reported that back to Crux but NEVER got a reply.  I then installed 4.0 that was still on the “burn image” webpage and all was good.  It is one year since then, and every update has had issues for me. Always back to the 4.0 card and all is fine.

Since 4.0 works perfectly, I don’t believe there is an issue with the dCS S32-LE interface format.  I have a NUC NAA running a HQP NAA Linux image without issues.  So what could it be?  Is it possible they are having issues keeping the image size under 8GB so it fits on the original cards?  You can barely find 8GB cards anymore, so I’ve been using 16s.  

I think it it might not be the best show for SOtM at AXPONA this year.

1 hour ago, ronfint said:

Really sorry to hear this. But at AXPONA please go easy on May Park -- she's so nice!

I met them there last year, definitely nice people.   I’m not going this year but I’m sure some people will be asking them questions about this.

If our weather ever gets better we should get together again!

18 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

I met them there last year, definitely nice people.   I’m not going this year but I’m sure some people will be asking them questions about this.

If our weather ever gets better we should get together again!

Ironically (or not), I just came in after shovelling my driveway.

1 hour ago, Always.Learning said:

Has anyone else been unable to access Eunhasu? For three days now, when I type http://eunhasu into my browser, I get the message that the browser cannot open the webpage because the server where the page is located is not responding. 

If I go to sotm-audio.com/my, I get blocked by Malwarebytes because they've flagged it as a phishing site!

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

5 hours ago, Always.Learning said:

Has anyone else been unable to access Eunhasu?

I use the IP adress of my Ultra to get in to Eunhasu and it works but Eunhasu is really slow today and looks kind of strange 🤪 SOtM clearly have problems that comes and goes over time this is the first time that it has looked like this to me.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
8 hours ago, Always.Learning said:

Has anyone else been unable to access Eunhasu? For three days now, when I type http://eunhasu into my browser, I get the message that the browser cannot open the webpage because the server where the page is located is not responding. 

If you're accessing it via DHCP and not via a bridged  or static IP configuration, it could mean it has been assigned a new IP address, so your link to Eunhasu does not work anymore.

Google ""sotm my" and it'll direct you to "my eunhasu" page (http://sotm-audio.com/my/), where you can find the new IP address and connect to Eunhasu again.

You can then bookmark it for later reference.

3 hours ago, tedwoods said:

If you're accessing it via DHCP and not via a bridged  or static IP configuration, it could mean it has been assigned a new IP address, so your link to Eunhasu does not work anymore.

Google ""sotm my" and it'll direct you to "my eunhasu" page (http://sotm-audio.com/my/), where you can find the new IP address and connect to Eunhasu again.

You can then bookmark it for later reference.

Good advice.  Or, use a network scanner app like Fing to show the IP addresses of all devices on the network.

33 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

Or, use a network scanner app like Fing to show the IP addresses of all devices on the network.

I also use Fing app to show my network devices. Usually my Ultra switches between two different IP adresses.

Today I ended up re-burning the SD card with 4.56. Eunhasu was not working and after I restarted it on the front button it was not showing up on the network and no lights were blinking at the ethernet port.

With a new image everything was back to normal (before I did this I could play music so nothing wrong before I tried to enter Eunhasu and did a restart).

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree