IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

22 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I've given up trying to get stable DSD 512 on my ultra neo.  Mine is for sale, i'm based in the UK.  Let me know if interested, i'll eventually stick an advert up.

You may want to revert to an earlier firmware.  I’ve had popping issues since 4.22 and so I am back at 4.0 and it works without pops.  Depending on your USB input (XMOS, Amanero, etc.) there may be issues with Linux (the core of SOTM s/w).  My DAC that 512 isn’t happy with Linux, but no probs with 4.0 at 128 to the Debussy.  

4.0 is no longer available on their website but I could get it up in the cloud for you, if interested.  

16 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

You may want to revert to an earlier firmware.  I’ve had popping issues since 4.22 and so I am back at 4.0 and it works without pops.  Depending on your USB input (XMOS, Amanero, etc.) there may be issues with Linux (the core of SOTM s/w).  My DAC that 512 isn’t happy with Linux, but no probs with 4.0 at 128 to the Debussy.  

4.0 is no longer available on their website but I could get it up in the cloud for you, if interested.  

I can't.  My XMOS VID/PID code for the SMSL D1 only works in Kernel 4.18+.  I've asked SoTM nicely if they could add the SMSL VID/PID to the 4.2 release.  They refuse to do it...

Doesn't matter, the intel NUC has won by default in that case hehe.

25 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

I'd be interested in 4.0 as 4.22 is popping like mad and it's doing my head in, worried it's doing my speakers damage when playing loud and switch tracks.

I don't have an earlier version on my PC so if you could send me a link to 4.0 is be grateful.

😊

2 hours ago, mikeyb said:

I'd be interested in 4.0 as 4.22 is popping like mad and it's doing my head in, worried it's doing my speakers damage when playing loud and switch tracks.

I don't have an earlier version on my PC so if you could send me a link to 4.0 is be grateful.

😊

PM sent.

21 hours ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

I've given up trying to get stable DSD 512 on my ultra neo.  Mine is for sale, i'm based in the UK.  Let me know if interested, i'll eventually stick an advert up.

Hi dont give up.. Jussi's advice works.. I hv a 6700k with only Nvidia Gtx 970 

I struggled with the Sotm sm200!ultra neo until today

You must use the NON Adaptive Filters DSD5/7 at DSD512 !!!

No stuttering

Try it! abreakthru for me

Kelvin

1 hour ago, kelvinwsy said:

Hi dont give up.. Jussi's advice works.. I hv a 6700k with only Nvidia Gtx 970 

I struggled with the Sotm sm200!ultra neo until today

You must use the NON Adaptive Filters DSD5/7 at DSD512 !!!

No stuttering

Try it! abreakthru for me

Kelvin

TBH, I have the same settings working with 3 other streamers at DSD 512 rate no problem.  I did take SoTM's advice and tried tweaking the DAC's buffer setting, but no improvement either.  Server is a 6800k running at a lightly OC'd 4ghz and a 1080 GTX, HQPlayer embedded, Ubuntu linux w/real-time kernel.

I get poly-sinc xtr-2s DSD512 44.1k upsampling 

no problem no stuttering

ADSM filters just wont work at DSD512 only Dsd256

Do try it again

But u need A good internet/ethernet connection

i use an ASUS AC85 router to form a different subnet from my ISP fiber broadband router

Do try again

5 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

no problem no stuttering

Do try it again

i use an ASUS AC85 router to form a different subnet from my ISP fiber broadband router

Do try again

In time I will eventually - the j5005 NUC fed with a quality PSU is sounding rather incredible and stable with audio-linux running from ramboot.  NUC is best of the lot, to my huge surprise. 

The other 3 streamers don't have an issue with the filters whatsoever.  Network is boring gigabit ethernet.  

10 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

no problem no stuttering

Do try it again

Do try again

BTW I can run both poly-sinc-short-mp and poly-sinc-xtr-2s at DSD512 with ASDM7 on the other 3 streamers, no problem.

I an also running AL ramroot Extreme 2?? (v high temp mode) 

Sounds damn good on my Eglobal i7 quad core 8650u fanless minipc

I find the USB Ports not clean even the isoregen with lt3045 ultra ldo still needs a ckean 5v power using my LhLabs 2G twin head usb cabke( same as iFI audio Gemini cable)

I find tge SM200ultrs Neo tonality to be more musical better Stereo depth and isALot quieter .. u hear the difference on well recirded live music

YMMV of course

4 minutes ago, kelvinwsy said:

I an also running AL ramroot Extreme 2?? (v high temp mode) 

Sounds damn good on my Eglobal i7 quad core 8650u fanless minipc

I find the USB Ports not clean even the isoregen with lt3045 ultra ldo still needs a ckean 5v power using my LhLabs 2G twin head usb cabke( same as iFI audio Gemini cable)

I find tge SM200ultrs Neo tonality to be more musical better Stereo depth and isALot quieter .. u hear the difference on well recirded live music

YMMV of course

Was hoping to do a similar comparison with ultra neo but see above (!), the NUC compared to my other "dedicated" streamers is very favourable indeed.  Was not expecting that to be honest.

Hello everyone,

received my SMS-200 Neo this week with firmware 0.4.5, plugged into Nuprime DAC 10.

As a user of LMS on my NAS, I used Squeezelite player and since the start, sound quality was very good but I was not able to play DSD, either it was stuttering or just not playing at all.

After playing with settings like bits, period and so on, resulting in almost nothing working, I reached out to SOTM. Answers arrived quite quickly though procedures to change settings and upgrade to beta. Unfortunately nothing worked.

I now upgraded to 0.4.51, and then 0.4.54, situation got worse. Even regular 16/44.1 files did not play without stuttering.

What really helped is actually reading your messages so thank you! I switched to MPD / DLNA instead of Squeezelite, and now everything is playing smoothly, including (most) DSD. I did not change anything in the configuration of MPD outside of the DSD mode (2).

Note that for a few DSD files sometimes I have a small stutter but it is very rare, could be file specific as most play very well.

In my opinion, SQ is a lot better than my pi3 with pCp, but I am not sure I will keep the SMS-200 given the price difference and the fact that it does not work flawlessly (as opposed to my pCp install which is very stable).

Anyway, thanks again guys!

Updated from 4.51 to 4.54 in Eunhasu today without any problems took around 5 minutes. Roon works as it should.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
1 hour ago, octaviars said:

Updated from 4.51 to 4.54 in Eunhasu today without any problems took around 5 minutes. Roon works as it should.

Currently in 4.54 and and I confirm MDP / DLNA as well Roon work flawlessly. Still no Squeezelite DSD though.

By the way, trying Roon, I find the SQ much better than with MDP / DLNA or Squeezelite. Any of you share this experience? How can this be explained?

Updated from 4.52 to 4.54 last night, no problems with install had to change mixer value only, plays well using both MPD/JRiver and HQPlayer, browser looks a bit different but loads marginally faster than previous firmware although still not as fast as some of the much earlier firmwares. Sotm seem to be getting there with this firmware after the terrible problems previously.

I'm using the SMS-200 Ultra and went from 4.22 to 4.51 and now 4.54. Each time I did a complete reinstall, burning the img to the sd-card. I'm only using my SoTM with Roon - so there's not much to configure.

To avoid skipping (DSD only from Roon) my settings are: Buffer: 0.5, Resync Delay: 0.20 - didn’t skip even with DSD256.

Buffer 0.2 skips sometimes only with DSD - and 0.1 always skips. Didn’t find any benefit for larger values. These might also be dependent on individual network and settings.

Didn't do any critical listening because so many variables changed... Eunhasu, Roon, I also switched some cables... but all in all i really enjoy the combination's sound.

However I'm encountering a problem that started after updating from 4.22 to 4.51. I mentioned it to SOTM and waiting for their reply.

Can't change the hostname. No matter what I set to, it saves the new name but does not respond to it, only to eunhasu.local (or the actual IP Address). Some users suggested trying manually set ip address but that didn't help with this.

I really use the hostname change as i can just call the web ui up with a simple "S".

Does anyone else have this issue?

Just updated to 4.55 via Eunhasu. 5 mins, no issues using Roon, all sounds lovely..Eunhasu interface much more responsive.

Main: 2x2TB Ext HDD/Mac Mini 2.3 GhZ core i5 + Uptone MMK & Teradak LPS/Roon/Ethernet LAN/Uptone Audio EtherRegenr/.5M Supra CAT8/SoTM sMs200-ULTRA NEO + SBooster BOTW P&P Eco MkII/Curious cable .2M/UpTone Audio ISORegen + SBooster Ultra/Curious cable .2M/Mutec MC3+USB/DH Labs Silver sonic D110 AES/Genelec 7370A+ 2 x 85351s running GLM 3.1 with wireless remote.

Office: 4TBHDD/MacBookPro/Audirvana /.25M AQvox USB/UpTone Audio ISORegen with SBooster Ultra/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon USB/Chord Hugo2/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon phono/Rogue Audio Sphinx 2/Anti-cables level 3/Elac Uni_Fi UB5's on Isoacoustics Apertas/Genelec 7050c Sub.

1 hour ago, andy nicholson said:

Just updated to 4.55 via Eunhasu. 5 mins, no issues using Roon, all sounds lovely..Eunhasu interface much more responsive.

I also made the update, no problems with Roon.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree