IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Hi all,

one of my first posts and I hope to get some help: I tried to update my sms 200 Ultra several times from 4.22 to 4.5.1. Because I heard about update-trouble before I tried it this way: http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image

I think writing to he SD-card worked well (see screenshot) but after transfering the card to the SOtM nothing happened. I tried it with two cards (SanDisk ULTRA 16GB and Transcend Premium 16GB) and with the 4.22 and 4.5.1 Version. Allways the same result: Not ip-adress in my router and no device shown in ROON. After inserting the old card (8GB with 4.22) everything works fine again.

Dont want to update via eunhasu because I am afraid that the working SD-card wth 4.22 will crash.

Any idea?

P.S.
Sorry form y awfull English. 

34810247uz.jpg

I'd suggest trying with different SD card adapters/readers:

I had exactly that issue the first time I tried to create a disk image using dd Utility (on a mac) - after several attempts I noticed that dd Utility as quitting at different stages of its installation process (see my earlier posts - dd Utility's 'PROCESS' count numbers don't correspond with percentage of completion).

I ended up trying several microSD card adapters and readers until I had one that worked (this with 4.5 & the original SOtM SD card). I then upgraded to a larger capacity and faster SD card and created the disk image the same way but installed 4.51 for the website link. That worked fine too.

Hope that helps!

Main: 2x2TB Ext HDD/Mac Mini 2.3 GhZ core i5 + Uptone MMK & Teradak LPS/Roon/Ethernet LAN/Uptone Audio EtherRegenr/.5M Supra CAT8/SoTM sMs200-ULTRA NEO + SBooster BOTW P&P Eco MkII/Curious cable .2M/UpTone Audio ISORegen + SBooster Ultra/Curious cable .2M/Mutec MC3+USB/DH Labs Silver sonic D110 AES/Genelec 7370A+ 2 x 85351s running GLM 3.1 with wireless remote.

Office: 4TBHDD/MacBookPro/Audirvana /.25M AQvox USB/UpTone Audio ISORegen with SBooster Ultra/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon USB/Chord Hugo2/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon phono/Rogue Audio Sphinx 2/Anti-cables level 3/Elac Uni_Fi UB5's on Isoacoustics Apertas/Genelec 7050c Sub.

I had trouble with 4.22 also. I tried two new sd-cards and two different card readers for 4.22 and 4.51. One test (with 4.22) can you see on the sreenshot. Nothing worked. 

The only thing that works is the original sotm SD card, updated via eunhasu to 4.22.

Do you think updating via eunhasu to 4.5.1 will work or is it still "high risk" (so it looked like in the beginning of 4.5)?

I tried that with 4.5 but the download always stalled. I never tried it with 4.51. This the reason I bought a new/faster/bigger capacity micro-SD card - didn't want to risk being without music!

You could copy 4.22 onto another card, test that card and then try it.

Main: 2x2TB Ext HDD/Mac Mini 2.3 GhZ core i5 + Uptone MMK & Teradak LPS/Roon/Ethernet LAN/Uptone Audio EtherRegenr/.5M Supra CAT8/SoTM sMs200-ULTRA NEO + SBooster BOTW P&P Eco MkII/Curious cable .2M/UpTone Audio ISORegen + SBooster Ultra/Curious cable .2M/Mutec MC3+USB/DH Labs Silver sonic D110 AES/Genelec 7370A+ 2 x 85351s running GLM 3.1 with wireless remote.

Office: 4TBHDD/MacBookPro/Audirvana /.25M AQvox USB/UpTone Audio ISORegen with SBooster Ultra/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon USB/Chord Hugo2/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon phono/Rogue Audio Sphinx 2/Anti-cables level 3/Elac Uni_Fi UB5's on Isoacoustics Apertas/Genelec 7050c Sub.

Hi everyone--

I have also encountered problems although I now have a working version of 4.5.1.

First I tried updating to 4.5 from the Eunhasu website and got stuck at 3% on multiple computers. Then I downloaded 4.5.1 and dd utility per SOtM's instructions. The download seemed to work fine and generated a .gz file. When I used dd utility to restore this file to a new 32GB SD card, dd Utility showed progress through 217, but then flashed the message:  "32 GB Volume Restore Failed." I also got a message that said "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." This despite the fact that I had erased and reformatted the new SD Card (Mac OS Extended (Journaled)). I tried multiple times on several computers to get dd Utility to restore 4.5.1 onto a new SD card, with no luck. 

Finally, I tried updating from 4.4 to 4.5 on a different computer (a Mac Mini that I use as a Roon Core server) using the update feature on the Euhasu website and, seemingly randomly, I was able to successfully update to 4.5 in less than 15 minutes. I was then able to update to 4.5.1 through the website, but it took several tries. 

I then did some listening to 4.5.1 using Roon and encountered the dreaded stutters. I reset the buffer in Eunhasu Roon settings to 0.2 and re-sync to 0.05, as someone else suggested on here, and that seems to have solved the problem, although I need to do some more listening. I will report back with sonic impressions next week after some extended listening. 

I have one more question, however. The only SD card that I have with a working version of 4.5.1 is the original 8GB card from SOtM. I know this card isn't going to last forever and I'd like to make a backup copy of 4.5.1 on my new Samsung 32GB card. I used Disk Utility on my Mac to create a disk image of the original SOtM SD card, and it created a .dmg file. When I tried to use Disk Utility to restore this .dmg file onto the new SD card, I got an error message. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a backup copy of the Eunhasu OS from the original SD card and get that on to a new SD card?

7 hours ago, muenchenlaim said:

I had trouble with 4.22 also. I tried two new sd-cards and two different card readers for 4.22 and 4.51. One test (with 4.22) can you see on the sreenshot. Nothing worked. 

The only thing that works is the original sotm SD card, updated via eunhasu to 4.22.

Do you think updating via eunhasu to 4.5.1 will work or is it still "high risk" (so it looked like in the beginning of 4.5)?

We have very similar problem.  I set mine to static ip but it will not stick.  It will always go back to dhcp.  I experienced this issue on a freshly burned 4.22 and 4.51.  If starting from 4.00 and upgrade all the way to 4.22 using the web interface, everything works fine.  Don't upgrade to 4.3 because it will break again.

I had SOtM fixed it remotely.  It turns out that the MAC address on the burned SD does not pick the correct MAC address of the ethernet in the SMS-200Ultra unit.  SOtM support indicated they will come out with a 4.52 update in the next few days for a fix.

Just for reference, my sMS-200Ultra is directly hooked up to the NUC running ROON for a subnet setup (some call it bridge setup but it is really subnet).  Eunhasu web interface will not be visible from the local network with a subnet setup unless the ip address of the controlling PC is set up to the same subnet.

Has anyone been able to get Qobuz to play via MPD & DNLA on the Ultra ?

I have enabled UPnP/DNLA(Beta) under "Listening Preferences" in Qobuz and have chosen the Ultra under "Audio Devices"

It will not play and there is a message in red at the top of the page.

" The selected device has not been recognised by the application"

Thanks.

It seems the 4.5 and 4.5.1 image creates inconsistent results either loading or playback (stuttering or not recognizing settings)

In my case  using the HQPlayer NAA, i finally managed to copy the 4.5 onto a new 16gb micro sd class 10. I still had to "install" the image on the COGWHEEL setting on Eunhasu.

Ok it loaded., then it spun round and round. Rebooted a few times finally it stabilized and showed that it was ACTIVE

Oh once it worked the Stuttering started even at low Hi-res eg 24k 192khz

So i tried 4.5.1 same stuttering.

Something is not quire right about SOTM's latest Eunhasu SW!

1 hour ago, kelvinwsy said:

Something is not quire right about SOTM's latest Eunhasu SW!

Agreed!  Either the download, image write or O/S is flaky.  I’ve done 2 different downloads, 3 different cards and countless image burns to try to get to 4.5/4.5.1 without success on NAA, also.  I’m back to 4.0 because I experienced stuttering at 4.22, and it increased in frequency with increasing sample rate... every 15-20 secs with 44K up to every second or two at 128DSD.

What worries me is the constant blinking even when there are no activities on .4.5 and .4.51. This may be an indication of bad codes that caused the player to keep going all the time when it is turned on. Not sure if it will harm the player in a bad way in the long run. After numerous tries - I finally get the version .4.51 without the constant blinking lights for days. The constant blinking started again.  

Someone here also measured the load on both .4.22 ans .4.5. The finding is actually quite disturbing - apparently the load on .4.5 was 10 times more than .4.22. No wonder we have to change buffers to stop the stuttering. Doesnt seems right at all

23 minutes ago, SYM said:

After numerous tries - I finally get the version .4.51 without the constant blinking lights for days. The constant blinking started again. 

The first time I re-imaged with the downloadable 4.51 the constant blinkning went away and have stayed that way since.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
2 hours ago, octaviars said:

The first time I re-imaged with the downloadable 4.51 the constant blinkning went away and have stayed that way since.

Are you using dd utility or imageUSB? 

It just seems like a hit or miss situation with the newer firmwares. 

1 hour ago, octaviars said:

Only problem I have seen is the constant blinking light on the front with 4.5 and the 4.51 that I got from upgrading in Eunhasu but that stopped with the newest download I burnt. 

thanks, well - I've got exactly the opposite respond. I've an almost unworkable 4.5 and upgraded it online to 4.51. Constant blinking stopped after that. Was thinking that it might be better if I burn 4.51 directly into the SD card when it came out. Turns out to be a mistake for my case. 

21 minutes ago, muenchenlaim said:

I followed this instruktion: 

That is my post. Glad that it works. I use this and have never had any problem ☺

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I have it running with Mac OS. 

One strange thing I noticed was that to edit Squeezelite settings in Eunhasu, I had t use Google Chrome as my browser as it didn’t work with Safari. 

G

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

Tried both 4.50-4.51 with 2 sd cards , all flash methods (image usb , fat32 , eunhasu update ,  etc) always same results :

• eunhasu system general lagging - constant loading . Waiting up to 2 minutes for simple function changes , mpd with bubbpleupnp and minimserver takes forever to load. Kazoo track adding is funny slow.
  • occasional audio stuttering

Maybe the hardware is not up to task with the new linux version. 

Also ,as we can see from disk partition tool ,  eunhasu utilizes only 8gb so no point to use a bigger sd card.