IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

To update: followed May’s suggestion to set the Roon buffer to .5 (from .1 which was the max under 4.22) and the stuttering has completely stopped. Updated to 4.5 from an SD card, then to 4.5.1 from the web GUI. IP changed so that held me up for a bit, thinking the UI wasn’t loading...

On 12/31/2018 at 5:43 PM, audiobomber said:

Every time I change from DHCP to Static and enter the IP address, it reverts back to DHCP. Any ideas on how to fix this?

When should one use Kernel Check? 

4.51 working on MPD now, but still have the above questions. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

2 hours ago, aslg said:

Is there anyone that has Squeezelite working without stuttering on v4.5.1?

Thanks! 

I flashed a Samsung Evo+ SD card with v4.5 and upgraded to v4.51 to answer my question above

The answer is that Squeezelite still stutters with both 44.1Khz FLACs and DSD x64. 

Moreover, the activity light blinks each second with no app running!

After upgrading to v4.5 writing new image to SD card Squeezelite was stuttering at first. What I did:
Use "Reset config" in Squeezelite config.
Remove all the plugins in LMS you don't need.
Set Server priority to high.
Set Sample format to 32_LE in Squeezelite config.
I don't which action really does the trick, but Squeezelite works flawless ever since. Using V4.51 there is no difference.

5 hours ago, DaddyCool said:

After upgrading to v4.5 writing new image to SD card Squeezelite was stuttering at first. What I did:
Use "Reset config" in Squeezelite config.
Remove all the plugins in LMS you don't need.
Set Server priority to high.
Set Sample format to 32_LE in Squeezelite config.
I don't which action really does the trick, but Squeezelite works flawless ever since. Using V4.51 there is no difference.

I did all of the above on my v4.51 ultra and tested the Squeezelite player after each change.
The only one that had an impact on the stuttering issue is the server priority. Unfortunately the stutter is still there although noticeably reduced.  We are still very far from a flawless performance.

I emailed SOtM support about the Squeezelite stuttering issue and the continuously blinking activity light and today I got a response. They recommended to:

• Reset the Squeezelite config
  • Clear the artwork db
  • Set the Buffer time field from 40 to 160
  • Set the Period count field from 4 to 16

The Buffer time and Period count increases fixed the stutter!

The continuously blinking activity light is still there but that's a minor problem compared to the stuttering.

5 minutes ago, aslg said:
  • Reset the Squeezelite config
  • Clear the artwork db
  • Set the Buffer time field from 40 to 160
  • Set the Period count field from 4 to 16

The Buffer time and Period count increases fixed the stutter!

Thanks for this.

It's a little odd, to say the least, that Buffer time and Period count would need such a drastic increase when the default settings for Squeezelite, independent of platform, are 40/4. Sounds more like a workaround to a problem to me. I currently have 30/8 on 4.22 and it works great. This is with sms-200 Neo.

I also have Logitech Media Server 7.9.1 running on a separate Win10 computer, so again, find it odd that "clear the artwork db" should help. Again, sounds like these are all workarounds while the real issues are being addressed.

I'd be more then happy to have someone from SOtM remote into my system to have a look.

As of now, I'm still on 4.22 and waiting.

1 hour ago, lasker98 said:

Thanks for this.

It's a little odd, to say the least, that Buffer time and Period count would need such a drastic increase when the default settings for Squeezelite, independent of platform, are 40/4. Sounds more like a workaround to a problem to me. I currently have 30/8 on 4.22 and it works great. This is with sms-200 Neo.

I also have Logitech Media Server 7.9.1 running on a separate Win10 computer, so again, find it odd that "clear the artwork db" should help. Again, sounds like these are all workarounds while the real issues are being addressed.

I'd be more then happy to have someone from SOtM remote into my system to have a look.

As of now, I'm still on 4.22 and waiting.

I agree with you about the Buffer time and Period count increases to seem more a workaround than a real fix to the stuttering problem.

I also mentioned to SOtM high load averages on my sMS-200ultra that I thought could be the root cause of the problem but they dismissed them saying that their test sMS-200 does not have the same high load averages that I reported.
For your information this is what I saw on v4.51 and v4.19 when playing a 44.1khz FLAC (notice the v4.51 averages are 10x higher than the v4.19 averages). Averages higher than the number of the CPUs (2 in the sMS-200) usually indicate a performance problem.

v4.51:

Load Averages

3.56 2.80 1.72

v4.19:

Load Averages

0.25 0.20 0.19

18 hours ago, lasker98 said:

I see version 4.51 is now available for direct download (go to bottom of linked page):

http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image

I used this 'one-piece' 4.51 download yesterday as I was upgrading the micro SD card to a Samsung 64GB Evo Select.

(I had previously installed 4.5 on the SD card that came with the Neo and then updated to 4.51 through Eunhasu).

Installation worked first time - using dd Utility to burn the disc image was obviously much quicker on the Evo....

But this was interesting:

The front power button one now behaves just as it did when I was running 4.22 - ie it only flashes when a music signal is passing through and is just 'on' when not.

So I wondered whether this one-piece download would solve any of the other issues people were having.

Main: 2x2TB Ext HDD/Mac Mini 2.3 GhZ core i5 + Uptone MMK & Teradak LPS/Roon/Ethernet LAN/Uptone Audio EtherRegenr/.5M Supra CAT8/SoTM sMs200-ULTRA NEO + SBooster BOTW P&P Eco MkII/Curious cable .2M/UpTone Audio ISORegen + SBooster Ultra/Curious cable .2M/Mutec MC3+USB/DH Labs Silver sonic D110 AES/Genelec 7370A+ 2 x 85351s running GLM 3.1 with wireless remote.

Office: 4TBHDD/MacBookPro/Audirvana /.25M AQvox USB/UpTone Audio ISORegen with SBooster Ultra/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon USB/Chord Hugo2/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon phono/Rogue Audio Sphinx 2/Anti-cables level 3/Elac Uni_Fi UB5's on Isoacoustics Apertas/Genelec 7050c Sub.

Tried upgrading to 4.51 using downloaded image to sd card. No issues with download or burning to card using the recommended utility ( I haven't had any issues with any of my prior attempts either).

I'm only trying Squeezelite but bottom line is I've given up and gone back to 4.22 which is working fine. I'd say there's some kind of minor "improvement" as far as less stuttering initially but after about 10 minutes almost constant stuttering. This is 4.51 compared to 4.5.  I experimented with a few different config settings, but only with "Internal buffer". I left the others at 40/4. Initially Internal buffer was 4096 and pretty severe stuttering although with 4.51 it seemed to start off bad, then after about a minute stuttering stopped and played ok for a few minutes. Then stuttering again, then played ok. Stuttering happened more frequently as time went on.

Tried Internal buffer at 2048 and again stuttering immediately but stopped stuttering much sooner than 4096. This time it played for about 10 minutes before stuttering restarted and again, it gradually became more frequent until intolerable.

I tried Internal buffer at 256 but no real improvement over 2048, if anything I'd say stuttering was worse. I gave up and went back to 4.22.

I'd like to again point out that when going back to 4.22 (switching sd cards) there's no issues. I just power off sms-200 Neo, switch cards and away we go. No disconnecting usb cables as done when trying 4.5/4.51.

The Eunhasu UI seemed noticeably more responsive with 4.51 compared to 4.5. I'd say it's the same as 4.22 now. As for any sound improvements over 4.22, it's kind of hard to judge when there's only a few minutes or so of glitch free playback to judge by, but from what I did hear, I don't feel any urgency to keep attempting to upgrade from 4.22.

My opinion is that this 4.51 has issues remaining, at least for Squeezelite on my system. I'll be holding off on any further attempts to upgrade until this is resolved.

All my testing was with 16-44.1 flac.

Ooh Boy!!  Having spent 1 week yes 1 week trying to download the v 0.4.5 and then v 0.4.5.1 version of the Eunhasu OS .. finally had to give up on the built in SD card reader and writer on my Desktop/ laptop / mini pc!!!

DON'T Bother to try!! ImageUsb Does Not play nice with these built in devices!!

Spent 12usd on a Transend USB3.0 Reader / Writer and the imageusb software works

Stuttering .. on v 0.4.5.0

Dsd / pcm everthing even on 192 khz on HQPlayer NAA Mode

spent another 3 hours trying v 0.4.5.1

Same sttutering

went back to original v 0. 4.4.0 .. spent another anxious 30 min re- initializing this version

Really FRUSTATING Experience

SOTM Should:

1. Get their OS Properly tested b4 release

2. Get their customers ie people like Me on a database and send out email or twitter/FB alert .. Hey u guys want to buy a tested SD card with the latest OS UPDATE!!

I will gladly pay Usd 50 postage paID for THIS service

NOW I expect updates from SOTM Audio about the solution on this stuttering????

I sympathise. I've wasted several hours myself trying to get the update to work on the 200 unit. I finally decided to download and put the image on a new micro SD card. Well the download stopped several times as well. I'm thinking maybe something is amiss at the SoTM server end.

Finally got it downloaded but yet to load it on to the SD card.

On 1/4/2019 at 11:54 AM, andy nicholson said:

The front power button one now behaves just as it did when I was running 4.22 - ie it only flashes when a music signal is passing through and is just 'on' when not.

So I wondered whether this one-piece download would solve any of the other issues people were having.

After reading this I decided to wipe the SD card (16Gb class 10) clean and download the 4.51 image and burn it to the SD card.

Took perhaps 15 minutes to download the 7.4Gb file and another 25 minutes to write and verify the card with USBimage program, I use a SD card reader that is connected via USB internally in my desktop computer.

Started my Neo and the front light is lit up constantly after it has booted up not flickering all the time as before, started up Roon and still the light was constant, pressed play in Roon and the light started flickering as it used to do with 4.22 so my conclusion is that there is something different with the download version compared to the one I did the upgrade to in Eunahasu webpage earlier this week.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I reformatted a working class 10 SD card to FAT32 - burned 0.4.51 on it - same problem with blinking lights and squeezelite stuttering.

Seems like there is no consistent behavior between upgrading online or via the image. 

Prior to that - I've done a fresh install of 0.4.5 and subsequently updated it online to 0.4.51 and the blinking stopped when there was no activities.

this is weird, I got so fed-up (after multiple re-burning of different SD cards) that I went against logic - re-downloaded 0.4.15 and burned it into my SD card. This time round  - there is no constant blinking/flashing when no music is being played. 

If burning of SD card is so dedicated (and can break so easily) - I am even more uncertain about online update especially if it takes hours and hours.  

22 hours ago, octaviars said:

After reading this I decided to wipe the SD card (16Gb class 10) clean and download the 4.51 image and burn it to the SD card.

Took perhaps 15 minutes to download the 7.4Gb file and another 25 minutes to write and verify the card with USBimage program, I use a SD card reader that is connected via USB internally in my desktop computer.

Started my Neo and the front light is lit up constantly after it has booted up not flickering all the time as before, started up Roon and still the light was constant, pressed play in Roon and the light started flickering as it used to do with 4.22 so my conclusion is that there is something different with the download version compared to the one I did the upgrade to in Eunahasu webpage earlier this week.

Pretty much my experience, result with Roon and conclusion too!

Main: 2x2TB Ext HDD/Mac Mini 2.3 GhZ core i5 + Uptone MMK & Teradak LPS/Roon/Ethernet LAN/Uptone Audio EtherRegenr/.5M Supra CAT8/SoTM sMs200-ULTRA NEO + SBooster BOTW P&P Eco MkII/Curious cable .2M/UpTone Audio ISORegen + SBooster Ultra/Curious cable .2M/Mutec MC3+USB/DH Labs Silver sonic D110 AES/Genelec 7370A+ 2 x 85351s running GLM 3.1 with wireless remote.

Office: 4TBHDD/MacBookPro/Audirvana /.25M AQvox USB/UpTone Audio ISORegen with SBooster Ultra/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon USB/Chord Hugo2/.25M Moon Audio Silver dragon phono/Rogue Audio Sphinx 2/Anti-cables level 3/Elac Uni_Fi UB5's on Isoacoustics Apertas/Genelec 7050c Sub.

his weekend I downloaded the latest V0.4.5.1 firmware, then tried to burn it to a 16GBmicro SD card using Balena Etcher using my PC's built-in SD card slot. Much faffing around to swap the SD cards in the sMS-200Ultra, and no success, the sMS would not even boot up. You could turn the power light on, but the unit would then shut itself down. Clearly burning an image to my PC's SD card slot was not working for some reason. More faffing around, I eventually got imageUSB to work, but this would not recognise the PC's SD card slot, further faffing, I found an old USB to SD card adaptor and burnt the image using imageUSB. Put the SD card into the sMS-200Ultra, and success! The sMS-200Ultra booted up, it was recognised by Eunhasu, which showed the device was now on V0.4.5.1, so all good. Or so it seemed. I tried selecting HQPlayer NAA and this would not switch to "active", I just got the blue circle going around and around indefinitely. Puzzled, I then selected shairport mode as something to try, this did the same thing. Ummm. After yet more faffing, I discovered that you needed to click the config cog for both HQPlayer NAA and shairport, and reload the app. This was curious as I have never needed to do this, not even when I first had the sMS and used Eunhasu. So all a bit frustrating, but I got there in the end.

Now some good news, via HQPlayer NAA, the sMS-200Ultra appears to be 100% stable, so far it has worked perfectly. I only had time for a quick listen yesterday with V0.4.5.1, the initial impression was very positive, definitely sounding good, but I did have a slight niggle that maybe the highest treble was somehow a bit more metallic.

This morning I spent a couple of hours comparing, first running V0.4.5.1, then back to my old SC card with V.0.4.4, then returning to V0.4.5.1. I have found a definite improvement with V0.4.5.1. Overall, I would say V0.4.5.1 is more engaging and enjoyable to listen to. Of particular note were things like female vocals, in one case moving from a slightly sibilant sound to something far more natural sounding. (actually moving from slightly sibilant to ethereal sounding in one case, can ethereal be described as more natural? It is certainly better to listen to) Also notable was the presentation of the bass, better definition, more dynamic. Not more bass as such, but more bass impact. With extended listening and A/B comparison, the initial observation regarding the treble holds up. This could be system dependent, but some tracks that sounded fine with V.0.4.4 sounded just a fraction bright with V0.4.5.1. As an experiment, I used my Devilaet's remote to adjust treble whilst listening. Give the dial a big twist up and down, I cannot see the Devialet's display from the listening position, so in effect this blind test for treble adjustment. I tried this with a couple of tracks on V.0.4.4 and ended up very close to 0 dB, with V0.4.5.1 my treble preference seemed to be nearer -1 or -2 dB. Most curious. For now I am sticking with V0.4.5.1. I tried some listening with the treble set to -2 dB and everything sounds great, this does upset my purist tendencies a little, but I can live with that when things are sounding so good. One thing occurs to me, last year I tried my old microRendu powered with the sPS-500 versus the LPS-1, I preferred the LPS-1 and when using the sPS-500 with the mR the system suffered from a very similar issue to the slightly metallic treble I am experiencing now. So I think I will revisit this one when my "end November 2018" batch Paul Hynes SR-4's arrive. (If they ever arrive)

As a final point, I most definitely have blinking light syndrome with my imageUSB burnt version of V0.4.5.1. 

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

It seems like SOtM should just send a bunch of SD cards with V0.4.5.1 firmware to their distributors so people can just buy one.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

31 minutes ago, rickca said:

It seems like SOtM should just send a bunch of SD cards with V0.4.5.1 firmware to their distributors so people can just buy one.

Still they would have to have a working software to do this.

I have done several updates via Eunhasu webpage and imaging on SD card without problems but clearly SOtM have not done proper QC this time even if Roon works as it should right now with the latest download.

I think it is safe to say that this will not be the end of SOtM needing to come out with new versions that fix these problems.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I have just updated  to 4.5.1 but I still find the browser very slow switching between operations and I can't get HQPlayer on my computer to recognize the SOTM in the setup now whereas on 4.2.2 there was no problem. I think 4.2.2 was probably the best overall firmware for me, particularly in operation and as sound quality is very similar between these later firmwares.