simone

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

Rate this topic

I received an email last night from the distributor.

SOtM has informed us that the release of the tX-USB Ultra is scheduled for next week. Preordering is now available with an expected ship date of 15 April 2017. If there are any changes to that, we will let you know.

Use the code PREORDER50 to receive $50 off, as a thank you for registering your interest via email. As always, shipping is free in the USA, Australia and New Zealand.

The sPS-500 and sMS-200 Ultra are expected to be available by the end of April. Preordering is not available for these two items yet, but we will keep you updated when we receive further information.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

For $990, tX-USB Ultra without the clock and $1200 w/clock, I think one has to question, as Romaz commenting before, is this clock overkill for ones DAC.  If your DAC clocking is inferior to the new Ultra s-clk EX, then this option is probably overkill.???

If I had a DAVE, okay, might make sense.  But a 2Qute I paid $900 for?  Probably not.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

I'm really curious which combination will sound best given that I already have a Singxer SU-1 and microRendu powered by LPS-1.  I did find the sMS-200 to sound better than the microRendu. 

On 3/31/2017 at 11:23 PM, ElviaCaprice said:

For $990, tX-USB Ultra without the clock and $1200 w/clock

From my (limited ?) understanding the optional "External master clock input" is only for the tX-USBUltra 50Ω BNC connector itself and not for the external clock to connect it to. Is this correct ? i.e. there is no extra external clock but only its connector ?

If so, what could be an example of an external master clock that could be applied ?

Thx !

Hi May @MayfromSOtM

Is there a way to output PC audio to the SMS-200 when watching videos for example?

I have a microRendu and I can output my Windows 10 to my microRendu using ShairPort but the picture and sound are not in sync (latency = 250ms).

I asked Sonore and they said they are working on this for the microRendu but the sound quality will be limited to 16/48, similar to Shairport. This is fine for me when watching movies on my PC. I don't need super high quality audio for movies but I do need picture and sound to be in sync. When I need 24/192 music I can switch to Roon.

See Sonore's comment here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/26730-sonore-microrendu/?do=findComment&comment=644471

As I mentioned on the Sonore thread, Dante have a program called 'Dante Virtual Sound Card' which is only $30 and installed on the PC and enables PC audio over IP to Dante ethernet endpoints. I would happily pay $30 for a 'SoTM Virtual Sound Card' :-)

You could just use the app switcher to change from Roon or DLNA mode to 'PC audio' mode.

A few people on the Sonore forum replied to my request saying they would be very interested in this feature, even if the PC audio output quality was limited to 16/48. I'm sure it would be popular for SMS-200 users too.

Can you ask your Engineering team to see if this is possible?

Looking forward to the release of the SMS-200 Ultra :-)

Thank you !

Edited by Em2016

32 minutes ago, sbilotta said:

From my (limited ?) understanding the optional "External master clock input" is only for the tX-USBUltra 50Ω BNC connector itself and not for the external clock to connect it to. Is this correct ? i.e. there is no extra external clock but only its connector ?

If so, what could be an example of an external master clock that could be applied ?

Thx !

The sCLK-EX board, which is what is in the tX-USB Ultra, has a 10MHz external master clock option and you have the option of connecting such a clock either via a U.FL connector at 50ohms or an MCX connector at 75ohms.  You are provided the choice as some master clocks have one connector or the other.  There are a variety of 3rd party external master clocks you can buy (typically atomic clocks) and they can run thousands of dollars.  You would wish to do this only if you knew for sure that the master clock you are thinking of using has superior performance characteristics (i.e. lower phase noise, better stability) vs the sCLK-EX's stock clock but there is no guarantee that such clocks will be better.  For example, there are TCXO and even OCXO master clocks that will not perform as well as the sCLK-EX's stock clock.  Here is an example of a rubidium atomic clock you could buy:

http://vintageking.com/antelope-audio-isochrone-10mx-atomic-master-clock

Edited by romaz

5 minutes ago, romaz said:

The sCLK-EX board, which is what is in the tX-USB Ultra, has a 10MHz external master clock option and you have the option of connecting such a clock either via a U.FL connector at 50ohms or an MCX connector at 75ohms.  You are provided the choice as some master clocks have one connector or the other.  There are a variety of 3rd party external master clocks you can buy (typically atomic clocks) and they can run thousands of dollars.  You would wish to do this only if you knew for sure that the master clock you are thinking of using has superior performance characteristics (i.e. lower phase noise, better stability) vs the sCLK-EX's stock clock but there is no guarantee that such clocks will be better.  For example, there are TCXO and even OCXO master clocks that will not perform as well as the sCLK-EX's stock clock.  Here is an example of a rubidium atomic clock you could buy:

http://vintageking.com/antelope-audio-isochrone-10mx-atomic-master-clock

Thanks Roy, clear now and indeed what I was expecting to rule out such an option, and save a few bucks :-)

10 hours ago, hkfootie said:

Would I still need a good usb cable if I get the SoTM tX-USB Ultra?

Yes, I believe you will still notice the impact of a good USB cable but such a cable need not be expensive.  In my system, the USB cable that separates my sMS-200 Ultra and dX-USB HD Ultra makes a difference.  None of SOtM's products are galvanically isolated.  As such, find a cable that is well shielded, is as short as possible and at the very least meets full USB 2.0 spec (90 ohm differential impedance).  You'll be surprised at how many audiophile USB cables do not meet USB 2.0 spec according to Gordon Rankin which ultimately results in unnecessary variances in SQ.  Also, since the tX-USB Ultra won't draw from the 5V VBUS, if you can find a USB cable with only a data line (no power line), you will likely notice another step up in SQ according to SOtM.

2 hours ago, romaz said:

Yes, I believe you will still notice the impact of a good USB cable but such a cable need not be expensive.  In my system, the USB cable that separates my sMS-200 Ultra and dX-USB HD Ultra makes a difference.  None of SOtM's products are galvanically isolated.  As such, find a cable that is well shielded, is as short as possible and at the very least meets full USB 2.0 spec (90 ohm differential impedance).  You'll be surprised at how many audiophile USB cables do not meet USB 2.0 spec according to Gordon Rankin which ultimately results in unnecessary variances in SQ.  Also, since the tX-USB Ultra won't draw from the 5V VBUS, if you can find a USB cable with only a data line (no power line), you will likely notice another step up in SQ according to SOtM.

Thanks for your reply Romaz.  I am currenly using Raspi 3 as a NAA connecting a Singxer SU-1 and I have a SOTM tx-USBHub in between.  I use a stock usb from Pi to Sotm USBHub and an Audioquest Carbon from USBHub to Singxer SU-1.  Do I need to upgrade both USB cables to improve my setting or just the one between USBHub and SU-1?

1 hour ago, hkfootie said:

Thanks for your reply Romaz.  I am currenly using Raspi 3 as a NAA connecting a Singxer SU-1 and I have a SOTM tx-USBHub in between.  I use a stock usb from Pi to Sotm USBHub and an Audioquest Carbon from USBHub to Singxer SU-1.  Do I need to upgrade both USB cables to improve my setting or just the one between USBHub and SU-1?

My viewpoint is that both USB cables should be of the same high standard if possible but ultimately, let your ears tell you if this is necessary.  Fortunately, securing another AQ Carbon to try without obligation isn't that hard from places like Amazon or from The Cable Co.  Alternatively, you could try replacing your AQ Carbon with another stock USB cable and see if you miss it.  

3 hours ago, romaz said:

My viewpoint is that both USB cables should be of the same high standard if possible but ultimately, let your ears tell you if this is necessary.  Fortunately, securing another AQ Carbon to try without obligation isn't that hard from places like Amazon or from The Cable Co.  Alternatively, you could try replacing your AQ Carbon with another stock USB cable and see if you miss it.  

Thanks romaz  Will try the downgrade route before the upgrade!  Thanks.

No Native DSD support with the McIntosh C47 or C52 preamps with the SMS-200 unfortunately.  Specifically DSD256.  DOP DSD128 works fine though.

That's too bad I know they work with the mRendu.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

5 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

No Native DSD support with the McIntosh C47 or C52 preamps with the SMS-200 unfortunately.  Specifically DSD256.  DOP DSD128 works fine though.

That's too bad I know they work with the mRendu.

SOtM is working to support native DSD for McIntosh C47 with that DAC owner.

8 hours ago, sotm.kim said:

SOtM is working to support native DSD for McIntosh C47 with that DAC owner.

Does the SMS-200 support native DSD with MSB Technology dacs ? (Analog and Dac V) ?

14 hours ago, sbilotta said:

Does the SMS-200 support native DSD with MSB Technology dacs ? (Analog and Dac V) ?

DAC's USB ID 0x6b42 and 0x0042 registered on the list already. Can you check USB IDs?

Hi!

Does someone know where I can find a good audiophile DC cable for my SMS-200 unit? There is the DC Cable done by Sonore, but the size of the connector of this cable is 5.5mm x 2.1mm instead of 5.5mm x 2.5mm for the SMS-200.

8 minutes ago, Nouchka said:

Hi!

Does someone know where I can find a good audiophile DC cable for my SMS-200 unit? There is the DC Cable done by Sonore, but the size of the connector of this cable is 5.5mm x 2.1mm instead of 5.5mm x 2.5mm for the SMS-200.

HI, we can make the one for you, please email us your preferred wire type, and we can use the dc connector if you have the preferred one. here is my email address : [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank you.

Best regards, MAy

On 4/7/2017 at 1:42 AM, MayfromSOtM said:

HI, we can make the one for you, please email us your preferred wire type, and we can use the dc connector if you have the preferred one. here is my email address : [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank you.

Best regards, MAy

Hi.

If I may please ask, when will the "ultra" USB to SPDIF/COAX converter be available? And, - would you happen to know a "ballpark" price?

Thank you,

6 hours ago, Albrecht said:

Hi.

If I may please ask, when will the "ultra" USB to SPDIF/COAX converter be available? And, - would you happen to know a "ballpark" price?

Thank you,

Hi, I'm assuming that "dX-USB HD with installing sCLK-EX1322/24 or sCLK22/24" would fit your request, the standard dX-USB HD(USB to AES/EBU, Coaxial and Optical outputs) costs US$450, and if you would add the sCLK-2224, the extra US$500 is required, and if you would add the sCLK-EX132224, the extra US$750 is required. 

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, MayfromSOtM said:

Hi, I'm assuming that "dX-USB HD with installing sCLK-EX1322/24 or sCLK22/24" would fit your request, the standard dX-USB HD(USB to AES/EBU, Coaxial and Optical outputs) costs US$450, and if you would add the sCLK-2224, the extra US$500 is required, and if you would add the sCLK-EX132224, the extra US$750 is required. 

Thank you!

Hi,

Thank you. I understand. So it's available now. I will research the sCLK-EX132224 further. Thank you again for responding.

On 3/30/2017 at 0:22 PM, romaz said:

If you are looking to replace your SU-1, consider SOtM's dX-USB HD Ultra which is their version of the SU-1 + their super clock.  As I own this product, I can vouch for how good it is (easily better than the F-1 that I tried) and it will be slightly less expensive than the sMS-200 Ultra (since it only requires a single clock).

Hi,

Thanks for all of your helpful posts on this thread... getting the dX-USB HD Ultra with the best clock looks like it's north of $1200, - a full $1000 more than the F-1; making it one of the most expensive USB to SPDIF converters out there. I am enjoying my F-1, but am nervous about the dX-USB.

Cheers,

3 hours ago, Albrecht said:

Hi,

Thanks for all of your helpful posts on this thread... getting the dX-USB HD Ultra with the best clock looks like it's north of $1200, - a full $1000 more than the F-1; making it one of the most expensive USB to SPDIF converters out there. I am enjoying my F-1, but am nervous about the dX-USB.

Cheers,

I think if you're enjoying your F-1, it's best not to go looking for trouble because you will most certainly find it.  Now, if I could only learn the same lesson.

On 2017. 4. 11. at 4:23 AM, tedwoods said:

Just finished the 3.6 update, which is just great btw, and seeing all the dsd dacs got me wondering about native dsd support for Amanero... B|

We didn't mentioned about Amanero in our native DSD post. By the way, for USB ID 0x16d0 / 0x071a is already applied in sMS-200 kernel. It just patch code and maybe not working properly.