IGNORED

SOtM smS-200 unveiled at Munich Hi-End

This is the 'quietest' new product introduction ever.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

• 2 weeks later...

Will pick up my sMS-200 later today, but won't be able to set it up until next week, being that I await a new NAS-server + new batteries to my DAC. Impressions will follow, if anyone are interested :)

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Will pick up my sMS-200 later today, but won't be able to set it up until next week, being that I await a new NAS-server + new batteries to my DAC. Impressions will follow, if anyone are interested :)

I see that the instruction manual is out too. Link here. Is it out now? Retail price?

I see that the instruction manual is out too. Link here. Is it out now? Retail price?

From what I'm able to calculate the retail price sits at roughly $475 (which probably equates to $450).

Just unpacked it. A shame I can't try it out until next week..

The unit should be open for preorder now.

Source: Synology NAS > DIY Mediaserver • Software: JRiver MC31/Fidelizer Pro Optical output: ASUS Xonar AE 24/192 • DAC/preamp: Blue Cheese Audio Roquefort Digital cross-over: Xilica XP-3060 • Speakers: Electro-Voice TS9040D LX (for active config.)  Subwoofers: 2 x MicroWrecker Tapped Horns • EV horns amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV bass amp: MC² Audio T1500 • Subs amp: MC² Audio T2000 • EV horns cables: Mundorf silver/gold 1mm solid-core • IC: Mundorf silver/gold XLR/Mogami 2549 XLR/Cordial CMK Road 250 XLR • Subs and EV bass cable: Cordial CLS 425 • Power cables: 15AWG Solid-core wire w/IeGo pure copper plugs (DIY)

Very interested in your impressions on sound quality. Also user experience with software are important to evaluate.

Please report back.

From what I'm able to calculate the retail price sits at roughly $475 (which probably equates to $450).

Just unpacked it. A shame I can't try it out until next week..

The unit should be open for preorder now.

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ

EDITED below

Very interested in your impressions on sound quality. Also user experience with software are important to evaluate.

Please report back.

I will :)

Not sure what anyone would gain from my impressions being that my DIY HTPC is really only so-so; I'd expect the sMS-200, even without the battery supply that I'll buy soon, to better my current PC-setup by a noticable margin - or at least I hope so.

On top of it all the battery pack inside my DAC drained some two weeks ago, meaning I'm currently using an RME 9632 soundcard for playback until the new battery pack arrives - is rather stale sonic experience compared to the SOtM DAC. That is; my point of reference right now may reveal the upcoming sMS-200 + sDP-1000 a heavenly encounter at first listens, but I'll try and moderate my impressions into something more balanced :)

Well, thank you for sharing your existing configuration so everybody can put your future information in the right perspective. And you're the first here on CA to have it so we have to be satisfied this way. You seem to have pretty awesome speakers that deserve a better source.

Cheers

Not sure what anyone would gain from my impressions being that my DIY HTPC is really only so-so; I'd expect the sMS-200, even without the battery supply that I'll buy soon, to better my current PC-setup by a noticable margin - or at least I hope so.

On top of it all the battery pack inside my DAC drained some two weeks ago, meaning I'm currently using an RME 9632 soundcard for playback until the new battery pack arrives - is rather stale sonic experience compared to the SOtM DAC. That is; my point of reference right now may reveal the upcoming sMS-200 + sDP-1000 a heavenly encounter at first listens, but I'll try and moderate my impressions into something more balanced :)

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ

Well, thank you for sharing your existing configuration so everybody can put your future information in the right perspective. And you're the first here on CA to have it so we have to be satisfied this way. You seem to have pretty awesome speakers that deserve a better source.

Cheers

Yes, my almost new speakers (which are indeed pretty awesome, thanks) deserves a better source on the side of the digital supply to the DAC, so the likely very positive influence of the sMS-200 should be welcomed. We'll see how it turns out.

I figured a NAS-server may be the best way to go with that, but other than that and what further configuration and software to use has me in the blind. I intend to use a cabled CAT6 Ethernet connection to the sMS-200 (and later the battery supply) and will possibly try out ROON as playback software. Recommendations/advice are welcome.

Very cool. My sMS-200 hasn't even shipped yet :~(

My local dealer/distributor was able to get a few units sent in advance, and I was among the fortunate to be in the receiving end :)

Where did you buy it? I no longer see a US distributor in SOtM's website.

Bought it here in Denmark. Sounds strange with the omission of the US distributor. Have you emailed May Park directly?

Very cool. My sMS-200 hasn't even shipped yet :~(

Btw, Mr. Connaker --

Do you intend to review the sMS-200 once you get hold of it? It would sure be appreciated.. :)

Wow, you have the unit before Chris, sure that is something! You will have to write the review first, I guess, ha ha.

I You try Roon, it's very likely that you'll be hooked and will go for it. I have it and I have revisited my system to get the best out of it (and I still do, because I will switch my sms-100 soon with either the mR or the sms-200).

A pc or Mac out of the way running Roon, a NAS with your files, Tidal subscription, a nice tablet for controlling everything will do the rest. That's what I do and what most people are after here. But of course there are several other alternatives equally valid.

Cheers.

Yes, my almost new speakers (which are indeed pretty awesome, thanks) deserves a better source on the side of the digital supply to the DAC, so the likely very positive influence of the sMS-200 should be welcomed. We'll see how it turns out.

I figured a NAS-server may be the best way to go with that, but other than that and what further configuration and software to use has me in the blind. I intend to use a cabled CAT6 Ethernet connection to the sMS-200 (and later the battery supply) and will possibly try out ROON as playback software. Recommendations/advice are welcome.

My local dealer/distributor was able to get a few units sent in advance, and I was among the fortunate to be in the receiving end :)

Bought it here in Denmark. Sounds strange with the omission of the US distributor. Have you emailed May Park directly?

Wow, you have the unit before Chris, sure that is something! You will have to write the review first, I guess, ha ha.

I You try Roon, it's very likely that you'll be hooked and will go for it. I have it and I have revisited my system to get the best out of it (and I still do, because I will switch my sms-100 soon with either the mR or the sms-200).

A pc or Mac out of the way running Roon, a NAS with your files, Tidal subscription, a nice tablet for controlling everything will do the rest. That's what I do and what most people are after here. But of course there are several other alternatives equally valid.

Cheers.

Thanks for the advice. I may also be using Minimserver + Kazoo that I currently use (with JPLAY). A few days to go I'm hopefully up and running :)

Ha, as much as I'd welcome the challenge everyone will be much better off letting Chris handle review duties and compare the sMS-200 with the mRendu - particularly being that you (and likely others) are considering both :)

Can you take some pics showing what is inside ?

Sorry, I'm not going to open up the unit (pardon the poor picture quality; lights are low here).

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

Yes, I did. She will sell one shipped to the USA directly from them. There is no distributor for USA yet. I am still waiting to hear back from her on total price and PayPal payment.

What is the price in Europe?

$450 + local VAT, I presume.

Is it CE-marked?

As far as I can see, no.

Is it CE-marked?

If you do a personal import direct from a seller, it doesn't have to be.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)